Looking for .30-30 Target Loads 311291

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 28 December 2009
Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 30 October 2009

I have a vintage M1893 Marlin long rifle in .30-30 with a very nice bore. Has the old Ballard-style rifling (wide grooves, narrow lands) -- supposed to be just the ticket for cast bullets.

I also have some 311291 cast bullets sized .309” (weigh in at around 180 grains). I am looking for an accurate 100-yard paper-punching load.

Tried Trail Boss (6.0 and 9.0) with poor results.

What do you guys suggest?

TIA

Tom

http://www.vintage-gunlore.com>http://www.vintage-gunlore.com

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
99 Strajght posted this 30 October 2009

I have had good luck with 10 gr. unique at about 1500fps and 29 gr. 3031 at about 2100 fps. Both shoot under 1 in. Make your bullets soft, about 12 BHN. Try not sizing, just lub and shoot.

Attached Files

Thanks -- is it necessary to orient the Unique load when shooting off the bench?

Attached Files

I use winchester primers which seem to work better at not needing to get the powder all in one place. No I just shoot them. Your loads of Trail Boss should have worked that is why I am thinking Bullet. Try not to seat the bullet into the rifling. Back off about a 1/16 of an inch.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 30 October 2009

tom, this story might help you. sometime back i had a marlin 93 in 32-40 that put all the bullets in the tgt sideways if you were lucky enough to hit it. i came here as you have with questions. i found good info. here is what worked for me. the bullets need to be soft or about 12-15 bhn. speed needs to be 1400 to 1600 fps. but most important in my case was for the bullet to fit the throat. in my case i bought an 8mm mould from lee sized it .325 instead of .321. now i get nice groups and the rifle is a pleasure to shoot. i would deer hunt with it with no regrets. hope this helps. mike

Attached Files

Thanks, Mike -- I've been shooting cast bullets for a long time, but have never looked into measuring a chamber's throat. What's the best way to do that?

Attached Files

Tap in an oversized lead slug and then tap it out and measure.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 30 October 2009

tom, what 99 said. mike

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 26 November 2009

Tom...I've loaded for a '47 vintage Winchester .30-30 for 15 yrs or so. 311291 GC with Hornady checks and sized .310” when cast from straight WW gives me 1.25” gps at 50 yds shooting over the original open sights. This particular rifle has an “as new” barrel and I have not slugged it for size. I've found that .310” with a WW alloy bullet nearly always gives me good performance from any of my .30's. (.30-30, .30-40, .30-06, .308 and surprise....30 Luger!)

The load is: Lyman #311291 with 15.0 gr SR4759, R-P brass, Win Lg Rifle primers and seated to 2.535 length overall. These rounds were crimped so as to remove the “M” die belling and work well through the magazine. Sights are two notches higher than Remington factory 150gr Sp's. This results in a pt. of impact 1” high at 50 yds. At 100 yds. gps run to 2.5” to 3", again, usiing the issue open sights only. I've had equal results with 15.5 gr of current production 2400.

I haven't chrono'd this prescription but a similar bullet with the same load does 1650 fps out of the 20” carbine barrel.

HTH's, Rodfac

Attached Files

Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 26 November 2009

Much appreciated, Rodhac -- will give these a try (may have to wait until spring), and will post results.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom in Pittsburgh posted this 26 November 2009

Rodhac,

P.S. Do you have a hunting load, too?

TIA

Tom

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 26 November 2009

I have a 30-30 Marlin ,Migrogroove bore,but without the hammer blocking  safety.

It accepts 310 NEI bullets designed by CE Harris for the 7.62 x39 .and shoots ,1-1/2 moa groops at 100 metrs,with an old 3-9 tasco scope.at 1250 fps.

I use the scope on leverguns just for developing accurate  loads,the scope ruins the wonderful handiness of leverguns ( SCHIOPPETTO MANESCO in Italian)

I use win Large rifle or Rem LR Magnum primers,using a double base shotgun powder(made locally,it's name Tecna),similar to your unique.

I size the bullets so they enter the neck of a shot case,I mean a not yet sized case.

Measuring the throat,expecially in the 30-30,that most of the times has practically no throat ,is too difficult to me.

Hunting loads,over 1700 fps,will probably need harder bullet than straight air cooled wheel weights.

I use the easy to perform trick of casting high temp bullets (frosted surface)and  dropping  them directly in a pail of water.

Let them age a couple of weeks,and they are perfect,they have a hard skin and an expanding ,not shattering in fragments, core.

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 28 November 2009

Tom...hate to admit it...I like either the Remington 170 Rnd Nose jacketed or the Speer Flat point.

With either I do not load for max velocity...h--l it's a 100 yd gun. Something in the 1800 fps range usually does the trick.

Regards, Rodfaf

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 28 November 2009

I no longer have a 30-30 , I was STUPID & traded it off.Here are the 2 loads that I scope tested in that rifle , can't rember how good they grouped or velocities but I was happy with them, they are entered in my load book

311291-31.2 W748 Hornady 170FP - 32.5 AA2460

I think that these were the only 2 powders that I tested & tested them with both bullets,at that time I was using only Federal primers, was sure nice to have a choice to be picky, hope those times return soon.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 November 2009

RL- you now have a good reason to go buy a new gun! Everybody should have a 30-30. I've been curious about the new model from Mossberg, anybody tried one? It looks to me to have some nice features.

Attached Files

Papa Smurf posted this 28 December 2009

6.5 to 7.5 gr Unique and leave off the gas check.

Attached Files

Close