lee classic turret press will not index

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 06 July 2010
biddulph posted this 06 November 2009

Hi all:

I have a Lee classic turret press that is tempremental about indexing. Sometimes it will and then, like now, it hasn't done it for days.

I've pulled down the nylon part the indexing rod goes through and note the small square piece in there. This appears to be what causes the rod to index. There appears to be an up side and a down side to this piece but either way I re assemble it it doesn't want to idex.

I've oiled it all up and tightened the screw that holds the two nylon halves together to various tensions.

Any ideas?

cheers and thanks

James

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rwjshooter posted this 06 November 2009

Hi

is the nut on top lf the indexing shaft snug??

no problems with mine I like it quite well  

Have a nice day 

Ray

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 06 November 2009

That small nylon indexing piece will wear out from time to time. Sounds like it is time to replace it.

I bought several when I got my press. They cost little and are quite easy to replace.

Dale53

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 06 November 2009

thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

cheers

James

Attached Files

pascalp posted this 06 November 2009

If I remember well, Lee advise “not any oil” on this part !

Attached Files

hiram posted this 07 February 2010

The small size square of the indexing piece faces down.

I made an indexing piece from a 45-70. It looks right but doesn't work.

Attached Files

rob mack posted this 29 June 2010

If you dont operate the handle far enough it will not index correctly. Its caught me on occasion too.

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 July 2010

And that is why I bought a Dillon. 2 of my family have this press and both are constantly replacing that small nylon gear. Real PITA!

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 03 July 2010

I bought one of the classics when they came out a few years ago. Had the same problem of it not indexing properly. Traded it away, and got a no muss, no fuss single stage.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 July 2010

I have two Dillon 550B's but I added the Lee Classic Turret for small runs. If I want less than 200 rounds of a test load, the Lee sets up in seconds and it is quicker overall (I have extra die sets in the quick change turret heads).

Previously, I had the original Lee Turret press for the same purpose. The original is an aluminum alloy press that doesn't have enough room for large rifle cases to allow them to rotate in auto advance. The Classic Turret has MUCH more room for long cases (the original is primarily a pistol press).

I have had very few problems with the Lee. Occasionally, the plastic index piece needed replaced, but certainly not often. Like any piece of equipment, I did have to learn how to operate it and “what made it tick".

There is no better press on the market than the Lee Classic Turret for the money. I can load 150-200 rounds per hour with excellent results.

I flat LOVE my Dillons but the Lee is a very useful piece of equipment.

Dale53

Attached Files

Fairshake posted this 06 July 2010

I have several different presses with my Dillon 550B my main press. I also use my RCBS Rockchucker for rifle cases. I purchased the Lee Classic turret after seeing one in a store. The plastic piece is the reason for the problem. My first one went bad after about 2000 rounds. The plastic piece is very hard to see if it is bad or good. I thought that I had anoter problem but changed out the plastic and bingo it works again.It seems to me that Lee could come up with something better for such a nice press. I have mine mounted on a 2x6 so that if i want I can c-clamp it to my tailgate and load away. I also mounted a Dillon 450 powder die and that allows me to use my RCBS Black Powder measure to load with. One nice press. Just order about 8 or 10 of that plastic piece.

Attached Files

Close