Metals

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 10 November 2009
Vassal posted this 07 November 2009

Hey guys,    Just trying to stay on top of things. Are you guys enriching your alloys with pure (or near) tin and antimony? I have gotten some monotype but have yet to try it. Using harder alloys doesn't allow for the same sort of control that using “pure” metals would.

For those that are using “pure” metals, where are you getting them? what is the going rATE?  I see Roto-metals has offered cooperation with CBA before. Are their prices the best to be had concerning “pure”

has anyone at CBA made a group buy of alloy ar metals before? maybe we could get together and buy a couple tons! Cheaper prices for members only :^:

Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 08 November 2009

I suppose the only sure way of knowing what your alloy truly is, is to buy it from a reputable source that guarantees the content, or send your metal off to be analyzed.  I think that most of us find that scrap metal mixtures work well enough.  Making a largish batch ensures that you will at least be consistant as long as the batch lasts.

My brother has been fairly successful in the Schuetzen game over the years.  He is building me a rifle and we were discussing molds and loads and the like a few days ago.  I'm really excited about it and hope to move my cast bullet shooting up to a new level.  He made the comment that to shoot great groups I have to stop shooting scrap metal.  I know that a lot of other match shooters feel the same way.

Attached Files

acdman posted this 08 November 2009

One man's opinion.

I think we get too caught up in this idea of the purity of our metals. How “pure” is the pure lead we buy? How does the used lino slugs we buy from someone compare to the virgin product? WW are what they are based on the price and availability of component metals when the WW were made. I think you settle on a given blend for your gun and keep the mixture as consistant as you can. For plinking and club matches I doubt you gun will notice a Brinell shift of 1-2 points from load to load. With the cost of primers and powder going straight north why spend money needlessly on “pure” metals.

If you are traveling many miles for Regional or National matches the additional cost may be justified if it builds your confidence level. I find that a nice drink with dinner and a good nights sleep has a greater effect on my results.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 November 2009

When I get my new rifle I'm going to put it to the test.

I can buy 60 pounds of 20-1 from Rotometals for about $130.  That will make 4,200, 100 grain .25 caliber bullets.  $3.12/100

I have on hand 50-60 pounds of x-ray shielding and enough supposedly pure reclaimed tin to turn that into 20-1.

That should keep me busy for a good while. : )

I will continue to shoot wheel weights in my other stuff.  I know it doesn't shoot well enough to benefit from high zoot alloy.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 November 2009

I've used nothing but WW since I started this game and while I've never seen my name at the top of the list I've never seen it at the bottom either. If anyone can definitely prove that Lino, Mono, or some blend made out of pure metals will shoot better than either a straight WW bullet or one that's been HTed to make it useful for the task expected of it I'd like to see that proof.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 November 2009

Wow! Now I know why I keep ending up at the bottom of the list, it's the alloy! Damn wheelweights! Out they go. I'm moving up.:nawnawnaw::taz:

Attached Files

KenK posted this 09 November 2009

tturner53 wrote: Wow! Now I know why I keep ending up at the bottom of the list, it's the alloy! Yeah, that one hurt Tim..  I did not realize  pat i was so mean. ; )

I think it is mainly the plain base Schuetzen guys that are so concerned with their bullet alloy being befouled with antimony

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 November 2009

I didn't intend to sound mean and I apologize if I came across that way here or anywhere else. I know as much about Schuetzen shooting as I do about flying the Space Shuttle so you could very well be right that alloys are very important to them.

Attached Files

No problem, just don't ever ever let it happen again, me and KenK are very sensitive about our postal match records.;):cba: Hey, I was wondering, maybe we could start a new classification, “Cast hand grenades", I've got a pretty good arm.....

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 09 November 2009

I hope to see my name anywhere on the list next season (at least one match.)

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 November 2009

You make it up to Windhill for a match next year and either breakfast or dinner is on me, your choice. If dinner's your choice there's a nice little pub in Aledo where the beer's cold the wimmens hot and the food sucks, but who cares about food.

(Is that nice enough for you sensitive types?)

Attached Files

Does that invite include us sensitive ones too? That pub sounds like my kind of place.

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 November 2009

Sure it does as long as you leave your feminine side at the door and understand the towels are for wiping the bar and not for group crys.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 10 November 2009

This one actually made me laugh out loud.   

Attached Files

I have been to that pub in Aledo and the wimmen aint so hot and in fact the food does suck but at least the beer is cold. I plan to go to the Region 4 Championship shoot if Stan ever figures out when it is gonna be. Oh yeah bring yer own towels...

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: I have been to that pub in Aledo and the wimmen aint so hot  

You just didn't drink enough. I closed that place one night and by 2 AM they were all beautiful. Of course that night by 2 AM YOU would have been beautiful but that's neither here nor there.

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 10 November 2009

All of you that are getting rid of their nonvirgin lead & nonvirgin alloys just send it to me for proper disposal. I hpoe that your shooting drasticly improves.

Attached Files

Pat - Happy Birthday there bud!

Attached Files

Close