50 yard Bunny hunt experiences

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 02 June 2019
Scearcy posted this 09 April 2019

Most of the bunny targets are out or in the mail so I thought it was time for a new thread focused on the shooting. 

I'll go first. I am going to shoot off my hind legs this time. Uffda! My skill need some work.

Aren't rabbits supposed to be shot with a shotgun?

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 April 2019

i am hoping some of our pistoleros will join in on the bunny shoot ....  after that teensy nearly invisible 200 yard coyote these 50 yard bunnies should look like billboards ....  maybe even could aim AT them, not 30 inches over them ( g ) ...

surely somebody out these has one of those obsolete re-volverators ?? ....  my grampa told me about them when i wuz a kid ....  

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
JeffinNZ posted this 09 April 2019

Jim, to make the target more challenging I intend to shoot standing up in a canoe.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Now shooting from a canoe when you have to be upside down - THAT will be challenging. I would wear a life jacket.

Jim

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 09 April 2019

This Bunny shoot is looking interesting.....I can't do worse than the coyote shoot.  Finally received my award from the "Friends of Coyotes Foundation" for my efforts in preserving them during the shoot.

Just wondering.... if the early explorers were primarily from the Southern Hemisphere instead of the North, would our maps be reversed and the South Pole our reference?

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 09 April 2019

surely somebody out these has one of those obsolete re-volverators ?? ....  my grampa told me about them when i wuz a kid ....  

Challenge accepted.  I think I will pull out a couple of old wheel guns for this.  Now where did I put my wadcutter molds?

Attached Files

Ahhh - big brass b_____, those! A tip of my cap.

Attached Files

Johnshandloads posted this 10 April 2019

I will be using a .357 magnum revolver for this, because it seems to give me the best chance of hitting the target. We shall see. I don't normally use 'the load' over about 10 yards....this is going to be fun.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 10 April 2019

I've got to get my targets ordered. I have three more friends that will probably be members before long and maybe this rabbit slaughter will be just what they need to push them the rest of the way over the cliff. I've been giving a lot of thought to the fairness of this rabbit shoot. We have more swamp rabbits here than Cottontails,  so I'm used to shooting a lot bigger and much more dangerous rabbit. I feel I should ask the sacred rules committee if it would be acceptable to take a legally bagged swamp rabbit and lay it evenly over the target rabbit and use a magic marker to draw a bigger rabbit around the rabbit target. My friends and I have voted and agreed this would be much more honest that poking pretty little tight bullets holes in the highest scoring area. We had even decided on a contest that would award the contestant who could arrange the most artistic bullet hole group. We have even been sawing out profiles from plywood of beagles running in full chase  behind the rabbit. Now if we can't shoot bigger rabbits, but we are running them in full pursuit with beagles can we at least use shotguns?  I bet I used the word rabbit in that statement as Much as Obama uses I when he's speaking. These friends are going to be using my rifles and to save cost on ammo, I'm thinking of putting bullets with only one side in their cartridges. HOW ABOUT US ALL GO OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN. ONE THING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OUR GROUP IS THAT WE NEVER EXAGERATE THE TRUTH.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Johnshandloads
jeff houck posted this 10 April 2019

beware lest ye provoke the WERERABITS!

Attached Files

barra posted this 10 April 2019

I’m having trouble printing the target out.

it’s about 1/4 size.

If I can see it that far I promise to keep shooting till I have hit the target 10 times or run out of ammo or daylight hrs.

I might start with vigour standing up but probably proceed at some point to lying down.

I have enlisted SHMBO on the printing it for me.

Hmmm a Target twice the size then i’d have to half the distance to make up for it.

That sounds about right 2x something / 2 = 1 134

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 10 April 2019

Hmmm a Target twice the size then i’d have to half the distance to make up for it.

That sounds about right 2x something / 2 = 1 134

Why stop at twice the size?  Office Depot can blow it up to poster size or larger.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 April 2019

Mashburn

Good looking bullets!

The sacred rules committee met in their normally scheduled midnight meeting  - fueled by Jamison. They are willing to make one time only rules for swamp rabbits.  Rather than tracing them we suggest that you simply shoot each one 10 times and send them in, whole, to Ken to be scored. 

I think the issue may be talking Ken into scoring them. Or you could self score them and then hold a big post hunt rabbit cookout. You must shoot each one 10 times though. Please post pictures here.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 April 2019

ok guys ... if you keep this up we will forget the much more serious side of these bunny shoots.

hmmm .. ok, somebody please remind me about the much more serious side of these bunny shoots ...  next time i will write that down ...

ken

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 10 April 2019

ok guys ... if you keep this up we will forget the much more serious side of these bunny shoots.

hmmm .. ok, somebody please remind me about the much more serious side of these bunny shoots ...  next time i will write that down ...

Serious?!?!  Seriously you can't be serious, can you?

(All seriousness aside.....)

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 10 April 2019

1) I made a set of tall cross sticks the other day and tried them out this morning.  

2) Got some 50 yd zeros for the Ballard and Trap Door this morning.

1+2 equals...them bunnies ain't got a chance. 

I'll get zeros for the Tip- up soon and probably make a short set of sticks in the near future, what difference they make!

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 10 April 2019

"1+2 equals...them bunnies ain't got a chance."

they do if I'm shooting at them..............................tongue-out

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 April 2019

I think those African PH are on to something with the tall bipods.

Jim

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 10 April 2019

i am hoping some of our pistoleros will join in on the bunny shoot ....  after that teensy nearly invisible 200 yard coyote these 50 yard bunnies should look like billboards ....  maybe even could aim AT them, not 30 inches over them ( g ) ...

ken

Ken,

I accept your pistolero challenge! I've got six targets and I commit to shooting three of them offhand unsupported with pistols, two of them being re-volverators:

• Magnum Research BFR in .45-70
  • Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt
  • T/C Contender G2 in 30 Herrett

In my youth, we used to hunt cotton bunnies and Jacks in Arizona with 1911s and I never had the opportunity to shoot in any position but offhand, so I'm hoping all these years won't be too cruel to me. Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 10 April 2019

My concern is the targets multiplying. Of the 5 rabbits stolen last week 95 have been return!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 April 2019

redleged ... if you shoot those handguns sitting with a scope, remember to stick the muzzle out further than your knees ... 

hey, a few years ago i had a friend try to shoot a critter from my speeding pickem-up truck with his pistol ...    ...  not outta an open sidewindow, but through the windshield ...   

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • tony1960
  • Redleged
Show More Posts
Close