Looking for original Mincemeat recipes

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 05 January 2012
dasbear posted this 04 December 2009

I would sure like to find several Original mincemeat recipes if anyone has any that their family would be willing to surrender it would be much appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
codarnall posted this 04 December 2009

Buddy you bring back memories! Google mincemeat recipes, I found about a dozen there. It's been 50+ years. Charlie

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 05 December 2009

My Grandmother Jessie's recipe:

3 LBS (Yes 3 POUNDS) of lean Beef

½ LB Suet

6 LBS Sour Apples (Jonathan ”€œ if possible*)

2 LBS Seedless Raisins

3 LDS Seeded Raisins

½ LB Citron ”€œ Minced

1 Nutmeg ”€œ grated (or ½ Tsp ground nutmeg or more to taste)

2 LBS Sugar

2 Cup Cider or Cider Vinegar

2 Cups Molasses

1 Tbs Cloves

1 Tsp Cinnamon

1 Tsp Mace

1 Tsp Salt

Cut meat in cubes, cover with water and simmer until tender. Cool overnight, skim off fat.

Force meat, suet and pared and cored apples through food grinder.

Add remaining ingredients plus 2 cups stock and simmer 1 hour.

Stir frequently.

Fill into sterilized jars ”€œ seal and store in a cool place.

Makes about 9 quarts, 1 quart should make about two pies ”€œ if not raw apples may be added as this is quite concentrated.

*My Grandmother stated, “Don't bother to make mince meat if you can't get Jonathan apples.”  However my mother says she has made this recipe with other sour apples and it was quite good.

I hope this is what you are looking for, I have not had a good mince meat pie in years and looking at this recipe, I understand why.  Good luck.

Loren

Attached Files

dasbear posted this 05 December 2009

Loren thanks a bunch. What is it that turns people off to mincemeat anyway? I do have to admit I'm stumped as to why you would put meat in a fruit pie OR was it fruit in a meat pie? There is one thing I remember is that our parents and our grandparents were passionate about mincemeat and not a thanksgiving or Christmas went by without mention of it it was a true tradition. I to this date have never had one myself but I am in the process of changing that right now as we type. I will post the recipe when I'm done I'm also useing bear lard to make the pie crust.

dasbear

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 05 December 2009

I think the thing tha scares most people about recipes like this are twofold: 

1.  They are labor and time intensive and

2.  Nowdays, most people have never had a real mince meat pie

The bear lard in the crust is interesting.  My mother would use 1 Lb of venison to 2 Lb of beef when she had it.  You are right about one thing though...Christmas and Thanksgiving are not the same with “mince” pies.

Let me know how it goes....enjoy it.

Loren

Attached Files

bruce posted this 10 December 2009

I am very fortunate to have two daughters that like to make pies. (The oldest may also like making pies, but she lives too far away). My daughters particularly like to make me a minced meat pie and put real meat in it. This Thanksgiving, the meat was turkey sausage. It would be impossible to share the recipe, because they make up their pies as they go along. Not only do they make me these pies, but they try to encourage other young ladies to try minced meat and ideally start making them themselves.

I'm glad to even be reading this thread. It is good to hear that the minced meat pie has a following.

Attached Files

dasbear posted this 13 December 2009

I was iust talking to my hunting partner and his family has one thats considered a family heirloom of a recipe now we just need to wait for his sister to find it, I dont think I should put on here but I may be able to give hints as to what makes it special and of coarse I will be making it to try out although he did say it had to cure/meld for a few months canned in jars.

Dasbear

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 17 May 2010

dasbear wrote: I was iust talking to my hunting partner and his family has one thats considered a family heirloom of a recipe now we just need to wait for his sister to find it, I dont think I should put on here but I may be able to give hints as to what makes it special and of coarse I will be making it to try out although he did say it had to cure/meld for a few months canned in jars.

Dasbear I would not worry about sharing too much as you can take ONE recipe and twenty cooks and you will get twenty results!

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 04 January 2012

If anyone is still interested mince pie is a tradition around our family also during the holidays. If there is not one sitting around it's all you hear while dinner goes on. “Oh my, no one made a mince pie this year". Only us old fogies, kids could care less. Grandma and Mom both said “It's not right unless you use venison". Apples weren't too specific. I inherited Grandma's recipie called Mince #21. Have no idea why. She said she got it from her mother so this goes back at least to the 1880's. I can see why it would be a holiday treat as it is full of fall harvest items and store bought things, special things you just didn't get everyday. I am getting carried away. If anyone is interested PM me and I will be happy to share as jh45gun stated we all do the same thing just a little bit differently. Bon Apetit' :thumbsup:

Attached Files

Muskrat Mike posted this 05 January 2012

Thankfully you can still get real mince meat pies and filling at the local farmer's market's in central PA! I couldn't make it through the Holidayswithout hot mince meat pie smothered in vanilla ice cream. If you make it yourself venison is better then beef! Mike B

Muskrat Mike

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 January 2012

You'all ask me, it is just that indian trail mix with apples instead of berries, and not cased in deer gut. All good, just different name.

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 05 January 2012

Casings Ric, not gut. From pigs and sheep not deer. Son, you and I gotta communicate better.:wow:

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 05 January 2012

My Grandpa loved the mince pie. Grandma always told him it had beef in it as he thought venison was not fit to eat. Farmer, always had plenty of beef around. But he thought to have a decent cake it had to be made with duck eggs and a homemade donut was not right unless cooked in bear fat. They say bear fat won't turn rancid like other fats other then that I have not a clue. This is the same guy who could eat a whole chocolate pie but would not touch chocolate cake. Figure that one out. He was a really neat Old Guy. Oh by the way, duck eggs aren't bad either, really! :wnk:

Attached Files

Close