Your prefered 41 mag bullet

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 05 February 2010
dasbear posted this 05 December 2009

What is your prefered cast bullet for your 41 Mag and why? Is there more than one? 1 for Deer and one for larger heavier game like Elk or bear?

My use's would be for western Blacktail and Black bear useing a 7.5” RBH

Dasbear

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 05 December 2009

Get in on the LBT group buy in progress now. You will be able to get a single mold to server all of your purposes. I would say a 250gr wide flat nose gas checked bullet would be your best bet. Have enough mass to take down an Elk or a Bear and anything else you come across.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 05 December 2009

LBT made a mould for me last year that is about 250-grains. I use it in a Freedom Arms for IHMSA events. SSK used to offer moulds. They had a 275-grain mould, made for them by NEI? In the mid-80's I had a Hoch make a single cavity nose pour mould that was similar to the SSK but has a gas check. Took quite a few Mule Deer with that one in Wyoming. Comes out of the mould at 296-grains (wheelweights). Used in a 8 3/8” Model 57. It liked WW 680 (now obsolete), H-2447 and WW 296.

Tom

Attached Files

docbob posted this 06 December 2009

Dasbear,

I have two Lyman 410459 moulds that are the old classic Keith SWC design and find this bullet to be very accurate. It is a longer bullet and won't fit some chambers if seated to the crimping groove. It works fine in my S&W model 57 and just fits my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk.

Doc

Attached Files

dasbear posted this 06 December 2009

Doc what wt. is it?

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 06 December 2009

I sold my S&W model 57 years ago but still have a couple molds and sizer luber dies.  Let me know of you are interested in buying them.  One Lee and the other is Lyman 2 cav 410610.  My record show that this bullet cast 219 gr in WW.  I shot it with 18 gr of 2400 at 1263 fps chrono.  I shot the Lee which cast at 196 gr with 10.5 gr of Unique at 1275 fps.  Both were GC'd and shot with excellent accuracy and would be optimum weights for 41 Mag. 

Because I said so!

Attached Files

docbob posted this 06 December 2009

Dasbear,

The Lyman 410459 is listed at 220 grains. mine run around 225 grains. I don't cast them very hard as most of my shooting is medium loads.

Doc

Attached Files

dasbear posted this 07 December 2009

Thanks for the offers on those molds Doc & brent I'll pass for now really looking for something much heavier.

dasbear

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 07 December 2009

Pat, You can use the .454 Casull if you want heavier.  Remeber you only have so much cylinder length if you are shooting a revolver.  If you are looking for penitration just cast a harder lead mix but I found WW to cast out at 219 gr and 1300fps is max for this weight and shoots accurately and has great penatration.  I have heard of 1500 fps loads but I never found them when I was loading my S&W 57, 6".

Because I said so!

Attached Files

dasbear posted this 08 December 2009

Im looking at some 240gr LFN and also looking at a 250WFN

Shastaboat those dies are a gift to a buddy not for me  if I want to toss real heavy weights I'll load up my 35 whelen AI pistol with 300+

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 December 2009

Brent, I might be able to use that Lee .41 mold for my .41AE. Still available? What kind of bullet is it? SWC, RN? Thanks Tim

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 08 December 2009

Both the Lee and Lyman molds are SWC.  I'd also have to sell the Lyman sizer/luber die and top punch.  I'd like to sell all for a package.  $70.00 including shipping.  The Lyman is 410610 dbl cavity, 215 gr but cast 219 gr WW.  The Lee is single cavity 190 gr and cast 196 WW.  Sizer is .410, TP is 610.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 08 December 2009

Tim, I would sell the singe cavity Lee SWC for $15.00 inc shipping.  Is listed as 190 gr SWC.  Cast 196 gr. WW

Because I said so!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 December 2009

I'll buy that Lee .41. How much for the sizer and top punch? Will the top punch work for the Lee bullet? Thanks     EDIT; Am I the only fool still shooting the .41AE? I know brass is very hard to find, but I like it. It's like a .41 Special in semi auto.

Attached Files

Kajan posted this 04 February 2010

Do you still have the Lyman mold available?  I am interested.  Thanks

Attached Files

docbob posted this 05 February 2010

Hello Kajan, Welcome to the CBA forum. I really haven't decided to sell either .41 mold, I just stated that I had them. One is an older one with a wider front band and the other is still new in the box with a thinner band. I will probably try both and see how they shoot in different guns.

docbob

Attached Files

Kajan posted this 05 February 2010

DocBob:  My mistake for not directing my inquiry to Shastaboat.  I was referring to the Lyman die he was offering for sale.  Sorry for the confusion.

Kajan

Attached Files

Close