22 BR

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 06 December 2009
cclfn posted this 06 December 2009

I have been searching the forum in all the reloading information I have not seen anything on a 22 BR.  I have one and wanted to try it with along with another varmint rifle in .222 which there is lots of info.

Is there a way to figure a starting load?  I see warnings not to use less than minimum loads as that may cause pressure problems too. 

How does one start out if I can not find others who have posted starting loads?

New guy looking for some advise.

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 06 December 2009

It's not safe to use anything other than published loads and then you must use the exact same components as listed in the load.

Or, you can find another case that has close to the same capacity, see what data is available, note the powder selections, compare bullet weights and do a little extrapolation.

It might not be a bad idea to protect the softer spots on your anatomy when testing such a load for the first time.

I believe that the main danger in using lighter than published loads comes when using a small charge of slow powder in a large case. This has been a hotly debated topic in the past.

I personally (and many others here) don't think it is dangerous to use small charges of fast powders. Of course you have to be careful of sticking bullets in the barrel.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 06 December 2009

Data for 22 BR?

Visit Hodgdon.com and follow the prompts to the reloading data.  You will find they show data for the 22 BR Remington. 

Attached Files

Ken,

My trouble is finding published loads to follow.  I have all the reloading manuals but know of them have starting loads at speeds less than about 3200 FPS which is not where I want to start with my 55 gn GC's.

I fear as it is a relatively new BR type round there may not be much info out there.  I thought someone here might have had the same idea I had.

Thanks for the input.

Attached Files

Duane,

Thanks but I am looking for something a bit slower to start with a GC bullet.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 06 December 2009

cclfn wrote: Ken,

My trouble is finding published loads to follow.  The Lyman 48th edition has cast bullet loads for the .222, .223, 22-250 and 22 Swift.  I would start there; unless somebody reading this has already broken the ground for you.

Attached Files

Ken,

I have read those and many other loads printed but as of yet have not found anything for the 22 BR that looks worthy of trying (or slow enough to try).  I have the 222 covered and loaded up some starters for it today.

I was kind of hoping somebody on this site may have broken ground on this caliber and would share. 

The 22-250 has similar ballistics with higher pressures but I am not sure about the short fat case compared to the 22-250 for extrapolations.

Wes

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 06 December 2009

cclfn are you using pistol powder or one the faster rifle powders?

This would have a large bearing on load data.

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 06 December 2009

Look at 219 Wasp loads such as found in the older Lyman books. The 22 BR case capacity is just a tad more than the Wasp. The Lyman info won't include Varget, N135 or N140 but I've had good results with them in both cartridges.

Attached Files

I was hopping to stay with the rifle powders if possible but would try something else.  This is just new to me.

Thanks,

Attached Files

Fred,

I will have to get an older Lyman book I bought the 3rd edition and it doesn't list the wasp.  I have both N135 and Varget.  Have you tried a 22 BR with cast bullets?

I am just trying to shoot what I have or I might rebarrel one to a 30 BR or something if I get into this cast bullet shooting.  We have monthly matches at our club and I am thinking I may have to try that.

Thanks,

Wes

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 06 December 2009

Wes, use lino for your alloy and try the N135 at 18-19 grains with bullets in the 55 grain range. I use the RCBS 22-55-SP mainly because my mold casts fat nosed bullets. Lube sparingly. 

Attached Files

Close