44 Special molds

• 9K Views
  • Last Post 24 April 2015
TNshooter posted this 16 December 2009

I recently got back into shooting and pulled out my reloading equiptment from 25 years ago. I also purchased a 44 special Charter Ams Bulldog. What would be the most accurate mold for this gun. I wouldn't think I would need to load a 240 g in this light of a weapon. I also have  about 50 lb of tire weights. Do I need to change the alloy for shooting paper? I have never cast my own bullets and would appreciate any pointers.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 16 December 2009

Take a look at the Lee 429-200-RF.  Inexpensive, light, economical to load and shoot.  Duane

Attached Files

helice posted this 16 December 2009

TNshooter,

You are most astute concerning your CA 44 Special.  They are light and the heavy slugs loaded warm to hot do cause a sensation in the “digital interface.:D"  I had a chance to shoot one of these  in Livermore CA about 20 years ago and have wanted one ever since.  Right Size.  Right Shape.  Right Caliber. 

I have used a custom LBT mould I bought from a guy named Bob in upstate New York.  It drops a 170 grain slug that looks like a stumpy oil drum.  Its called an Ogival Wadcutter ie. a wadcutter with a small (I believe its 1/32") ogive.  Its a great bullet -- the benifit is that it is light weight and its meplat is almost full caliber.  I've used it in the 44 Mag and the 444 Marlin to make light recoil loads that don't scare off new and young shooters.  I hope to cast up some of these in the near future (post Christmas) and would be glad to send you a hundred just to try  out.  The mould is a bit big at .434 caliber.  I figure Bob had a really loose old SAA in 44-40 or maybe his Marlin was loose or something.  Give me a shout with an address if you want some.  I can even size em down for you if you'd like.  Helice

P.S. those Wheel Weights are like Gold any more.  Hang on to them.  It's getting harder and harder to get them and the $$$$ seems to be getting crazy. A six pack used to get me a 5 gal bucket.  Now they're against State Law to sell in California.

Attached Files

454PB posted this 16 December 2009

Back when I was way younger and less “educated", I had one of the first Charter Arms Bulldogs.

I fired 429421 250 gr. Keiths at close to 900 fps., and the grip frame actually broke through the wood grips.

That gun was stolen, and about 10 years ago I replaced it with a Taurus model 441. This is a beefier gun, but I now load it with 200 gr. Lee SWCs and 6 gr. of RedDot. A very pleasant and accurate load.

Attached Files

testhop posted this 17 December 2009

:lovecast:get a lyman 429215 it is a 215 gr . it should be just what you want. or you might look AT SAECOS 944 A 200 GR WC . saeco has other moulds under240 also

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 21 December 2009

The main problem here is whether you CA is fixed or adjustable sighted. For fix sighted a Lyman 429383 245 gr. RN sized 0.431” loaded with Bullseye is excellent and will shoot to the sights. If you have one of the longer barreled adjustable sighted ones, a lighter bullet might do very well.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 December 2009

In my S&W 1915 Hand Ejector .44 Special I use a shortened modification of the NEI #263 with the base band and lower groove removed, and the nose modified to provide a cup point bullet weighing 246 grains in soft lead. This shoots to the fixed sights of the old guns at 720 f.p.s. with 5 grains of Bullseye and flattens out like a quarter in water jugs. 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 11 May 2011

I use to have the original Ideal 429215 mold, known as the Anderton bullet. It cast an oversized bullet, .434", for my SAA with oversized throats. I foolishly sold it and had a leaded .44 spec. ever after. Picked up a 429478 lyman which is the same bullet @ 210grs for my other .44 spec., got rid of the SAA, got tired of fighting it. Will use this new bullet in a new M-21, Ruger BH and an 18oz 396. If you can find one I think you'll like it.

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 15 November 2011

For universal bullet I have to agree with TESTHOP. .429215 is great, my buddies favorite bullet in his M29 as he has plunked at least 4 deer with that bullet in his M29. As far as the .44 Spl (my favorite cal) my M24-3 w/ 3” barrel probably comes closest to the charter. My .44 buddy got rid of his charter due to recoil and no quick follow up shot, at least for him. The other bullet that shoots well is the .429245 just slow 'em down a mite. For cans and paper 4gr of Bull works pretty well. My first check for a new load is how close to point of aim as I don't want to sight in for every load every time. Harris' modified NEI sure looks neat. He always has the cool stuff!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 16 November 2011

:coffee   I got caught up in the 44 Flattop craze that Ruger started a few years ago.  This last spring I bought a blued Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 44 Special. 

I use the 429215 Lyman gas check mold and, I use the Lee 200 grain RF (roundnose) both.  Really, with my 5.5” barrel, accuracy can't be distinguished between the two.  The gas checked leads less though.

Either one, I load to 7.4 grains of Unique.  It's a nice load with enough punch.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 16 November 2011

I have been casting bullets, loading and shooting .44 Specials for many years in several different platforms (all full size guns, however).

A very nice target load is a 200 gr wadcutter (Group Buy mould) ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent. This same bullet ahead of 5.0 grs of Red Dot would make a superior defense load with manageable recoil (chronographs at 878 fps). Lyman used to have a 180 gr. full wadcutter - keep your eyes open at gun shows.

I have a 240 gr LBT bullet (WFN) that should be just dandy for most guns used at reasonable ranges for everything from casual target use to hunting. This one can be loaded in modern, heavy frame guns such as the S&W Model 624 and the new Ruger .44 Sppecial Flattop anywhere from 650 fps to 1200 fps, safely, with proper powders.

My most used bullet is a Mihec clone of the H&G #503 (250 gr Keith). Again, it can be successfully loaded from 650 fps - 1200 fps in the proper platform in the .44 Special.

The heavier bullets and loads should be reserved for the heavy frame guns. If I had a Charter Arms revolver, I would defer to something like a good 200 gr bullet with a WIDE meplat at something like 850 fps. Anything heavier or faster is apt to be uncomfortable to shoot.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

salvadore posted this 05 December 2011

Speaking of full wadcutters, Lyman/Ideal made a 429352 @ 245gr. I have a single cavity Ideal and it is a regular 55 gal drum of a bullet.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 05 December 2011

If you have a limited budget, then the Lee Precision 200 gr RF (in a six cavity mould)is an excellent choice:

http://www.fmreloading.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&StoreCode=FMR&ProductCode=90428&CategoryCode=44+spec+and+mag

The Lee six cavity moulds are an excellent value. They are, by no means, the best out there, but they are arguably “good enough". I have some of the finest moulds EVER made from H&G, Mihec, and NOE but I also have, and use, a number of Lee moulds.

The Lee six cavity will allow you to make excellent production (upwards of 21# of finished match grade bullets in an hour and a half) that won't cost an arm and a leg. Size the bullets to fit your revolver's cylinder throats and you should be “good to go"...

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 December 2011

I'm kinda partial to the Lyman 429215 and the RCBS 44-225 SWC GC .

Attached Files

mold posted this 20 April 2015

I found on the internet the a yellow glow under black light is a sign of black mold and sure enough there is a yellow glow near the suspicious stain and A LOT on the vent downstairs too. http://www.moldbustersllc.com/mold-remediation/>Mold remediation in Maryland but is black mold the only thing that glows yellow under black light? Could the glow be from some other substance? Another type of mold?

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 22 April 2015

I've owned two Charter Arms Bulldog and currently own a S&W 696. All three revolvers shoot well with 200 grain bullets and 6.5 grains Unique for both single action and double action.

The first Charter Arms Bulldog was shot with 245 grain Keith-style bullets and up to 8.0 grains Unique  The heavier loads were uncomfortable, but accurate. They were hard to come back from recoil on double action. There was never a problem with the frame, but the gun shot loose on the cylinder pin.

Tthe second Charter Arms Bulldog was limited to the 215 grain Lyman 429215 mold and up to 8.0 grains Unique. This load worked better with double action shooting,but I eventually dropped back to 6.5 grains Unique.

Both Charter Arms Bulldogs leaded badly; however, a Speer shot capsule removed the leading in one shot.

The S&W 696 has never had a heavier load than the 6.5 grains of Unique. A 200 grain lead bullet or a 185 grain jacketed bullet when at a range requiring jacketed bullets. I've shot the 696 during practice at the Elmer Keith Memorial Match which is reovlvers or semi-autos, iron sights only, at 160 yards  and scored well. That use brought out a flock of short-barreled carry guns and everyone was surprised at how well they were shooting.    

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 24 April 2015

Showing off my present 44sp bullets and loaded rounds . I use an italian clone of the P73 Peacemaker for plinking Cowboy action style .

When  I was a country doctor and the blessed clerico vatican marxist governement allowed concealed carry licence , to us (dangerous people) I used to carry a small Charter Arms bulldog 44 sp,nice piece of hardware to have in a pocket.

I loved the Lee full wad cutter , and like the  Lee 200RF.

The other two iare a Saeco 200 flat nose modified  by Erik Olson and a 270 grain Ranch Dog  ( a bit heavy for a 44 sp).

Just try them and see what your gun prefers,  Lee Gang molds cheaply produce  buckets of  bullets in a short time .

Close