Types of Gas Checks

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 February 2010
saggitar posted this 16 December 2009

I want to order some gas checks for  a 162 grain SWC saeco mold bullet. I cast it  with Lyman #2 lead from Rotometals.

I shoot it  in my Marlin 1894 Cowboy 357 Carbine with 13.0 grains of 2400 powder with CCI 550 Primer (approx 1600 fps according to Pet Loads by Ken Waters.

My question is this----- I read that Hornady gas checks are CRIMPED on & Lymans are PRESSED on.  Is this correct ? & if so ,   Doe's it matter.?    Anyone out there in Bulletland that has experience with both types. Thanks ,  Saggitar

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
chboats posted this 16 December 2009

saggitar I believe that the reference to pressed on gas checks is to the older style Lyman gas checks. They were made of thin brass and were a loose fit. From what I understand both Hornady and Lyman gaschecks are now made by the same company and are identical.

Carl

Attached Files

saggitar posted this 16 December 2009

Thanks Carl. Have you used either one?

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 16 December 2009

You'll find that Hornady checks are cheaper. I've read that Hornady makes the checks for Lyman. Why Lyman cost more, don't know.

mrbill2

Attached Files

raytear posted this 16 December 2009

I have never used Lyman GCs though I have found a few of the early type at the range. At least I assume they are the older Lyman as they are yellow rather than copper-colored, and did not appear to have a crimping lip on the inside.

I have used only the Hornady and had great success in .44 pistols and 6.5mm, 7mm, .30, 8mm, and .35 caliber rifles. They crimp on tightly, but do not distort the bullet base in doing so. I have recovered some of my fired slugs from a dirt berm. Even after hitting rocks they were clinging tenaciously to the base of the bullet.

From my other reading, the gripe against the Lyman press-on style was that they could cause accuracy problems because they sometimes came off in flight.

I have a close friend who uses only CF Ventures' wax gas checks and with both his smokeless and BP loads. His groups with them seem to be as good as mine using the Hornadys.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 16 December 2009

I have used both within the past month - in .30 cal. A friend and I have cut both brands in half and looked at them under magnification. Our conclusion: The only difference is the price. They did used to be different. I still have some of the old style Lyman checks for .375 cal. bullets.

Wes

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 19 December 2009

I am usen both the press on type of lyman and the hornady crimp on . The lyman press on ones you put some super glue on the base of the bullet or try out lube them first then put the GC on with lube on the bottom to have the gas check stay on . Yes I did have a problem of the press on come off . I lube first , then I change to glue them . let the glue dry first before loading. This what work for me . I rather have the crimp on .But if need to get press on that is what I do glue them. Just to have a peace of mind.

Attached Files

Dew posted this 05 February 2010

Question on sizes of gas checks. I am casting using the Lyman 311316 32. caliber bullet. I don't have any checks at this time. What is the size I would need...this is for a Remington model 25 32-20 rifle. I've looked at MidSouth and Midway and don't find any listed for the 32-20 as such.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 05 February 2010

Regular 30 caliber gas checks work for the 32/20 as you will be sizing to .311-.313". Lyman moulds are made for 30 caliber gas checks, either slip on or crimp depending upon when it was made.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Dew posted this 06 February 2010

I had to chamfer the edge of the cast 311316 to get the thiry cal checks to fit. Then I ran them into a .311 die. Did this years ago but I am forgetting a lot of things I learned along time ago and had let it slip my mind. Getting older ain't fun.

I've heard it said that the worst thing  about getting old is... getting old.

Attached Files

Dew posted this 06 February 2010

Coydog I also use a super glue to stick the Lyman checks that don't crimp. It seems to make them stay on and not be left in the sizer die so often. I drop a dab of glue on a glass plate or somesuch and then touch the bottom of the cast bullet on it and go right to the sizer. Seems to work for me.

D

Attached Files

Close