Krag Sporter

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 10 April 2010
Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2009

I know three other people besides myself who own Krag sporters.  All of these seem similar, vintage peep sight, barrel shortened to carbine length, 03 Springfield front sight.  Mine shoots great.  Let's see yours if ya got one.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 21 December 2009

I have a sporterized Krag with the barrel cut down to 23 inches. Shot my first deer with it in 1965. 190 grain silvertips were used in the load as Pennsylvania deer are mighty tough. Mine uses the original Krag rear sight.

Still have the rifle.

Slickest action I've ever seen or felt.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 21 December 2009

Ed, When I get mine back together, I'll post a pic. When I got it, it has the most hideous stock you ever saw. It was home made, I believe, and had a length of pull for someone, maybe 4'8” tall. As a 6-footer myself, that put my nose against the cocking piece and the comb way too low! So that stock is off and I am working on the GI-style replacement.

The magazine cut-off has been removed to make room of an old, unusual style Pacific aperture rear. The front sight may be adapted from a 1903 S'field, but looks more like a Marble's or Lyman base to me. I need to do a comparison on that.

RT

Attached Files

helice posted this 19 February 2010

Not to hijack the thread BUT

A friend has a Krag Action and all the irons. He is looking for a Krag barrel (30-40) and a stock. He's short on cash but long on “Gun Stuff". PM me if you can help.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 25 February 2010

Helice, the CMP is selling new Krag rifle or carbine barrels for $199.95, made by Kreiger.  You have to put your own front sight on, though the flat is milled, and the rear sight holes are drilled and tapped for a 6x32 screws rather than the original thread.  There's some variation in the bore dimensions, but it isn't as big a variation as that found in the original barrels.  Most of mine slug .310 groove.  S&S firearms sells the front sights.

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BAR

Here's mine Ed, it a model 92 with the barrel cut to 24".  Rice, bolt mounted peep, Williams hooded front sight.  When I got it, it was sans handguard and regular rear sight.  I found a beat up model 92 handguard and a model 96 rear sight to put on it.  When the 96 sight is all the way down it doesn't get in the line of sight of the Rice peep.

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 25 February 2010

I love the pics

Attached Files

2Tite posted this 25 February 2010

I need a cut down stock similar to those pictured. I have a Krag sporter but the stock really needs to be replaced. Is thre anyone out there who can help with a cut down stock in decent shape?

Attached Files

raytear posted this 25 February 2010

If you can't find a stock among the CBA-ers on line, you can always try Boyd's.  Their stuff is not rock bottom, but much of it is quite reasonable, in my opinion.  I bought a factory second Krag G.I. stock for about $40 plus shipping a couple of years ago.

Attached Files

Pfeifer posted this 28 February 2010

Fun stuff... I've got about 2 1/2 Krag sporters. 2 done or mostly done and one barreled action with a Bubba'd barrel that I haven't started on yet.

Anyone have any special caliber Krag sporters? I want one similar to Col Whelen's .40 cal... got a nice Green Mtn .400"/.408” blank and a .40-70 SS reamer. The good Col's was in .40-72 IIRC.

Jeff P

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 28 February 2010

I went the other direction with one I'm working on, I scored a heavy Obermeyer 6mm barrel off gunbroker for $10, so I'm building a 6mm/30-40 Ackley Improved using a handmade heavy target stock I got off ebay. The 405 Win ought to make a good big bore, with Hornady ammo available.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 28 February 2010

RE: .405 Winchester in a Krag action.

Tread very carefully in building a .405. The acceptable working pressures between the .30-40 and the .405 are a bit different. It would be very easy to fire an overload, especially with factory .405 ammo. If you want a .40 caliber in a Krag, one of the options Pfeifer mentions above would be MUCH safer.

Attached Files

Pfeifer posted this 28 February 2010

I'm not going with the .405 Win for pressure reasons as raytear pointed out. I have seen several .405 Wins on Krags but just don't think it's a good idea. DeHaas talks about this IIRC as well as pressure limits in his Bolt Actions book. Also out there is also a 40-70 Hornady reamer I saw at PTG... that is designed to use the Hornady .405 Win brass too.

I'd like to see that 6mmx30-40 Imp case... I have a set of 6mmx30-30 Imp 40 dies for a future project. Fun stuff!

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 04 March 2010

I've seen SAAMI specs for the 405 quoted as a maximum mean pressure of 34,000PSI.  I have the Obermyer barrel chambered now, I'll be using 405 cases to form the cartridges, if I ever find some.  I'm using them because I have a bolt that a fellow lapped to contact the receiver bridge.  In the receiver I'm using it is just a couple thousandths  shy of contacting, and leaves the bolt just shy of closing on a .070 field gauge.  I realize I'll be pretty much limited to 6mm Remington starting loads, as shown on Hodgdon's site, but I'm building it with cast bullets in mind, I had BaBore of BRP products make me a mold with the Eagan MX2-243 that I got off ebay, ought to be fun!

Attached Files

Mike Gordon posted this 09 April 2010

After digging through my old American Rifleman magazines I finally found an article from 1934 that perfectly fits into this thread.  The bullet discussed, then named the 308403 later became the 311403 and then disappeared altogether.

Anyway I hope you can read my scan.

Attached Files

Mike Gordon posted this 09 April 2010

I hope this image of the article is easier to read.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 09 April 2010

Hmm, I'd like to find one of those molds. I have the B&M 311169, the Squib bullet, it shoots itty bitty groups provided you don't go much above 1600fps. 12.5gr of Blue Dot gives me 1575fps chronographed, with postage stamp sized 100 yd groups.  Though I managed to form a 6mm/30-40 case from .405, it wasn't worth the work or expense.  I could've bought a new bolt body for what I paid for the cases, and in fact will, since I've sold the remaining 49 cases.  It's much easier to make the cases from 30/40 to begin with.  There's some fire forming of the shoulder involved, but no big deal since headspace is on the rim.

Attached Files

Dennis Jorgensen posted this 09 April 2010

Thank you for the article, makes me want to dig out my Krag, it sure sounds simple.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 10 April 2010

nice photos gentlemen. they tell me that once bitten by the “krag bug” can be very contagious.

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 10 April 2010

There's no doubt about that! I just wanted one, it was delivered by the P.O. in 2 pieces, now if you counted all the parts I could assemble, I think I have 6 or so.

Attached Files

Close