6mm Cast Bullets

• 7K Views
  • Last Post 17 April 2010
art fischer posted this 26 December 2009

Bought an NEI 6mm mold for a 95 gr. bullet and wondering why gas checks and little info is available or ever discussed on this cal.  I have cast 30 cal, 31 cal and 9mm, 38 and 45 for years. Also got a 245 sizing die.  Seems this long bullet might be prone to bending while being handled (while still soft) and perhaps when sizing. Are there any other 6mm casters out there.  I know its really too small a frontal area for being an adequate deer bullet but might  be ok for chucks and coyotes. Plan  to use it in a 6mm Rem sporter afish4570/images/emoticons/134.gif/images/emoticons/134.gif

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 26 December 2009

:D Art.  I''''m not a 6mm caster, but with that long bullet you might consider getting a push through die from Lee to size with.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 27 December 2009

i have tried several times to get my 243 to shoot cast and have given up. i dont know why it didnt work as if a 22 caliber will shoot cast so should a 6mm. keep us posted on your experience. i have 6mm gas checks for sale if you need any. joe giford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 27 December 2009

I thought I would try cast in a 6MM TCU Contender.  I had the RCBS 24-100-FN and cast a whole lot and was ready to get serious but found the nose of the cast bullet was too small to be suppported in the barrel.  Lacking the proper support, I never really had anything to brag about.  I  have but not tried the Ly 245496 which is the Loverin style.  Just got side tracked on too many other projects.  Maybe in the spring, when things warm up I can play with both the 6MM TCU and the 223 Contender barrels.   Duane

Attached Files

art fischer posted this 27 December 2009

Maybe that explains why Lyman lists one or no molds anymore and Hornady and Lyman don't make 6 mm gas checks..... I know I got 1000 and if more are needed I will gon a group buy with Cast Boolits or something..... Thanks....afish4570:X:X

Attached Files

art fischer posted this 27 December 2009

I don't think Lee has ever made 6 mm molds and sizing dies either.  I'll keep you posted.  don't think it will be too soon though.  My 9mm and 38 and 40 pistol bullets will be first on my list. Thank goodness for my 4 and 6 cav. molds. Had good production with my Lee 6 cav. compared to the old 2 cav. Especially for pistol bullets.Afish4570;);)

Attached Files

CWME posted this 27 December 2009

argie1891, What was the twist in your 243 that you tried? What were the issues you ran into with cast in your rifle?

Interested in this topic as I have a 6BR with an 8 twist barrel I would like to shoot cast in.

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 27 December 2009

Tapering the bullet will sometimes make a big difference. We did it with the 6mm Rem (1:9 twist) and the RCBS 243-95. Finally shot under an inch; before that it was erratic.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 27 December 2009

Art, I have a 26” bbl'ed. Ruger #1 in .243Win. that is quite accurate with some cast bullets.  Lyman #245496, a 87 gr. Loverin, gas checked design, will shoot into less than 1 m.o.a. if I'm careful, but not with full power loads.  Typically I use something like H/IMR 4198, AA 5744, or WC 820 (AA #9 burning rate) and have been quite pleased with the results.  Btw, I've tried both the Lyman and RCBS bore riding designs (95 gr. and 105 gr., respectively) and was highly disappointed by them as their bore riding noses were too small for my bbl.  Others, however, have reported excellent results with the RCBS CB,

Attached Files

art fischer posted this 01 January 2010

Has anyone hunted with 6mm cast boolits??afish4570

Attached Files

leadburner posted this 02 January 2010

Can get checks at midsouth shooters supply,even somewhat inexpensively!!!

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 January 2010

I took a deer at about 60 yards with a 243 cast bullet. It was actually sized at .244, it was the Lyman 87 grain bullet, lyman #2 alloy.

I used these in two different REM 700 BDLs and my Contender in 6 T/CU.

Very good bullet.

Jerry

Attached Files

CWME posted this 04 January 2010

I don't see 6mm GC at Midsouth. Are you using a different size than .243 for this caliber?

Attached Files

larkin0056 posted this 04 January 2010

hi i got gas checks for 6mm at buffalo arms. 208 263 6953 is there number. larkin

Attached Files

art fischer posted this 05 January 2010

Flattinman should be reading this discussion and also type in 6mm Casting and do a search for more 6mm cast boolit info....afish4570

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 28 March 2010

:cba:Hello, Art Fischer, Did you ever get your .243 to shoot cast? It,s too bad about the 6mm. mould/gas check situation as this is a very fine caliber. I wrote an article in Fouling Shot about my experiance with a 6mm. First time I had ever tried this caliber. Mine is a little off-beat from your average .243, a .236(6mm) Winchester-Lee Sporter. The dealer came down a little on price...said bore was worn..lands rounded. Turns out to be Metford rifling! Mint bore, I Used Ideal .245498 a 100gr. with tiny flatnose. Used IMR Trailboss & H4227, shot 3/4” at 50yds. I shot at this range because sights are buckhorn rear & german silver blade front. Did try at 100yd. 21/2". This rifle has LOOONG throat, with bullets seated 1 band+G.C., nose still doesn,t reach rifling origin. Had to size 1st. band to .243 to seat this long.tight fit in leade. Fast twist 71/2". I use nose-first mount in press dies from Corbin.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 March 2010

Anyone shoot cast in a 6x47? I'm thinking of building a wildcat, would like to use .223 Rem. brass. I've looked at the 300 Whisper, I want more speed. Noise is not an issue.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 28 March 2010

Hi Tim: I have been shooting a 6 x 47 (222 Rem Mag case necked up to 6 mm) and have been pretty frustrated shooting my old BR rifle. It just now is coming around. It really likes slow burning powders starting to get decent results, but nothing to write home about with H380, - around 1 inch at 50yds. Bullet is LBT 80 and sized and bumped to .245". I used to shoot a 6 x 47 based on a 300 Savage  case but sold it. The attached picture is of a Sako built in 1973 and campaigned for 15 years in limited matches out here. More later,  Reg

Attached Files

art fischer posted this 29 March 2010

Haven't cast any 6mm yet..... But did cast up a slew of the 311041 group buy but need the # 8 TP for my sizer.  I did cast about 1000 + 180 gr. 401 dia for my 40 S&W which I shot in the first IPSC match of the year (locally). Cast two batches of 358446 and the Lee 6 cav. 150gr SWC 358'also around 1500 total.  Should keep me shooting this summer.afish4570:coffee:coffee

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 30 March 2010

Art. I've been playing with the 6mm in benchrest form for several years. It can be frustrating. I use a 1 in 8 twist barrel and a modified NEI 95 gr. mould that casts bullets 108gr. and 119gr. (linotype). I use a basically shortened 6BR case called a Talldog.

So far, I.ve found that the nose riding dimension and alloy hardness are critical factors. The nose must fit the bore and the alloy must be very hard. I've found that the mid range prowders like H and IMR4895, Varget, 3031, VV135 work pretty well with the 108gr. bullet.

What has been frustrating for me is that on one day this rifle will shoot great and the next it is so-so. The 6mm seems to be more finicky than some other calibers.

The real guru of the 6mm is Mike Mohler, who has won national cast bullet BR championships using the .243 Win in a production rifle. He is not a computer user, and I wouldn't put his address or phone # online, but he is usually very willing to talk to 6mm enthusiasts.

Jerry

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 30 March 2010

Used to shoot cb's in a Stolle Panda in the Postals as well as an XP-100. Also used the XP-100 in IHMSA Half Scale silhouette (iron sights) with cb's. The mould I used was the Saeco (243?) weighing about 85-grains. That bullet revealed one thing I didn't see with .30 cal. bullets and that was the RCBS lubri-sizer turned my straight bullets into slightly cocked bullets. You could see more sizer contact on one side of the bullet compared to the opposite side. The Saeco sizer I have didn't produce that result. Is it that bullet only or all bullets that go through the RCBS unit? Don't know...yet.

FWIW

Tom

Attached Files

odicoilius posted this 17 April 2010

No more 6 mm gas checks? Damn, too bad, my mod 670 win. is actually the best cast bullet gun I have accuracy- wise. Lyman 245296(89gr.from my mould)will shoot into 1/2 inch at 50 yards. Great on rabbits or foxes, maybe even coyotes but far too under-powered for nything bigger. performance is a lot like the old 25/20 win.

Attached Files

Close