Just found out about this site!

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 15 January 2010
Maryland Jim posted this 06 January 2010

I'm Maryland Jim and have been shooting cast and swaged bullets for about 12 years. I use them for hunting with my .50 cal. flintlock and percussion rifles and my 444 Marlin and  38-55 Model 94.  I also target shoot with all but the 444 Marlin.  I don't cast my own, but I am using several different brands, as well as in my SASS pistols and Model 92 rifle for Cowboy shoots. I'm looking forward to reading, listening and asking questions and hopefully helping out someone else, too.

Nice to be on board!.  :cba:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 06 January 2010

Welcome to the forum Jim. You're in the right place. I'd like to hear about some .444 loads, that cartidge is on my 'next' list. Tim

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 06 January 2010

I've got one too, inherited from my father. I'd be interested in any info as well.

I have particular interest in lower than max power loads. Story there. Last time I shot the gun was when I was a teenager and after feeling the recoil a few times, I leaned into it a little too much and the scope imprinted a nice bleeding crescent shape above my eyebrow. Haven't shot the beast since then! -Don

Attached Files

raytear posted this 06 January 2010

devin1955,

That kind of impact really smarts, too, even with a rubber O-ring on the edge of the eye-piece.

I believe it was the late COL Jeff Cooper, USMC (retired), who dubbed that injury “The Order of the Red Crescent".

Attached Files

Maryland Jim posted this 07 January 2010

Well, With a cast, 300 gr. WFNGC, try  46.0 gr. of VN 130.  It packs a wallop in my Winchester model 94 in 444 Marlin. About 2 1/4"  group at 100 yds. Bullet is a hard “Cast Performance".  This is the only cast bullet I have tried in my 444. This load  will take down anything in N. America at about 2100 fps at  them muzzle.  I have not used it in a hunt yet.  It penetrated  a 6"  hardwood post at 100 yds and we never found the bullet.  Jim

Attached Files

testhop posted this 14 January 2010

welcome jim i am from baltimore and shoot out at marretsville range . where do you do your shooting you realy need to start casting

Attached Files

Pyroguy posted this 14 January 2010

Hi Jim:

I to am new to the site.  I was looking for some info re casting wheel weights for CASS bullets (.45LC)  I did get some useful info.  I see that you are using a model 92.  A am close to buying one myself.  Have you had any issues with yours?  Action work?  I have been using a friends 94 but they are hard to find up here (Canada)  The 92 seams to have ok reviews and is cheap enough for starters.  I have a pair of the new rugar vaquero's in .45LC and like those a lot.

Interested in yor thoughts.

Zeke....AKA Pyroguy

Attached Files

Maryland Jim posted this 14 January 2010

Hi Test,

I shoot in Q.A. Couty at Sudlersville.  Delmarva Sportsman Assn. Club.  We have Sass matches and a lot of other rifle and pistol activities.  I don't have a place to cast at the moment.  You should come over sometime.  Jim

Attached Files

Maryland Jim posted this 14 January 2010

Pyroguy,

The model 92 I have is a Puma with 24” barrel in 357 Magnum.  It is very accurate and kills deer under 100 yds with authority.  Its a strong action but probably could use an action job to smooth it out.  I also use it for SASS matches. It shoots 38 spl. for that.  The Model 92 is in pistol calibers only. Legacy Sports  sells them. They make it in 45LC. Its not as strong as the model 94, which is in rifle calibers.

Why are lever guns hard to find in Canada?   I remember an old guy I met years ago from Canada who hunted moose with a SMLE .303 and got one every year.

JIm

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 January 2010

Jim,

Welcome to the group, I shoot the 444 marlin in my Marlin 444 lever gun and my Contender Super 14. I would be interested in your loads, I do cast my own for that cartridge, from light weight to heavy weight CBs.

Jerry

Attached Files

Pyroguy posted this 15 January 2010

Hi Again Jim:

The problem with the lack of guns here relates only to the pistol calibers.  I am committed to the .45LC as that is what my rugars are and it would be a headache to have 2 kinds of ammo at SASS match (as you know)  With not a lot of action up here the dealers import less of the pistol caliber rifles.  For deer and other “big game” the choice has always been 30-30 or .308, 30-06 etc.  And yes, I to have bagged a few with the old .303!

Cheers...

Zeke...AKA Pyroguy

Attached Files

Close