RCBS Lubrisizer won't fit Lyman 450

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 14 April 2010
BillT posted this 12 January 2010

Just tried to install a RCBS Lubrisizer in a Lyman 450 and it won't fit. The 450 is at least 25 years old. I put the die in and it bottomed out even though the lyman dies are the same length. The difference I see is a thicker top lip and the chamfer on the bottom is larger than the lyman.

I cleaned the inside of the 450 but it wasn't the problem. The hold down nut won't engage the top inside threads and the RCBS die just won't go deep enough to engage the threads.

Has things changed as far as interchangeability between the two?

Bill

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
donr308 posted this 12 January 2010

Did you back off on the stop tube and nut underneath the die? If there have been any changes, it has been very recent.

Don Ross

Attached Files

BillT posted this 12 January 2010

Don, Backed everything off and it has to be an internal problem. Just won't insert all the way into the lubing tunnel, the lock down nut won't meet the threads, it just won't fit. It may be a problem with my 450 and not the die, but this is the first RCBS die I have ever used.

Attached Files

Tazman1602 posted this 13 January 2010

I have both, a 20 year old 450 and a new Lubrisizer and either RCBS or Lyman dies work in both of them. Let us know what you find.

Attached Files

BillT posted this 13 January 2010

I think it is the 450 itself, I have cleaned everything out, cleaned up the old lube. I just think that this one wasn't done right. Will keep working at it, but that seems to be the problem.

Attached Files

BillT posted this 13 January 2010

I talked to a tech where I bought the die and he told me it was probably a defective die. I am returning it.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 30 March 2010

Hello, BillT, I too have had this problem only on a Lyman 45...BUT the die was Lyman! Had to polish to fit. All other dies, both Lyman & RCBS fit. Is problem just that die? check before altering 450. Good luck!

Attached Files

BillT posted this 30 March 2010

The RCBS die I had was for .41 mag. I bought a Lyman .41 die and it worked perfectly. I did not alter the 450 in any way, nor would I, I would keep sending the dies back until they fit. Seems like quality control is suffering. Maybe they are doing small changes. The 450 I have is about 25 years old, so they may be doing something different with the new ones. Hard to know.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 30 March 2010

I have a Lyman 450 that I've had for at least 35 years, and I have a .311 RCBS sizer die in the drawer that won't go down quite far enough to allow the hold down nut to engage. I bought the die, used, at a gun show. Figured I was the only guy lucky enough to have this kind of problem, so I bought a .311 Lyman die and kept the RCBS die until/in case one of my buddies has an RCBS sizer and wants a .311 die. So far, no takers.

Wes

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 30 March 2010

I bought a used 450 back in the late 70s or early 80s. I tried 2 RCBS dies in it and neither fit. I was unable to detect any difference between them and my Lyman die. Rather than fuss with them, I just set them aside. I'll be selling them soon on this forum.

Jim

Attached Files

BillT posted this 01 April 2010

I think it is the chamfer on the RCBS die. I think it is too big. That is the only thing I could see that was different. Wouldn't allow the die to seat properly.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 01 April 2010

i had this problem with one die. Put it in the metal lathe and took a couple thou off and it fits fine now. joe gifford

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Dew posted this 14 April 2010

Just went through the same problem. Have two 450 sizers and a handful of RCBS lubersizers. All worked fine until I bought a new RCBS .400. Won't go down. Sent it to RCBS and they know about the problem. After two months I emailed them and they returned my .400 without any changes made and it still will not work. Also they gave me a new .401 in the plastic and same problem. My old RCBS lubers were around .696 or 697 and worked. The new ones are .701 or 702. They know the problem because they told me they might have had a run of oversize ones. I am going to have a friend turn a few thousands off in a lathe. From now on I will buy Lyman all the time and not any more RCBS for use in a Lyman 450. Besides that the RCBS are about $10.00 higher than the Lyman. I also think it is the chamfer and told them so.

Attached Files

Close