358 Winchester?

• 21K Views
  • Last Post 15 January 2023
Lefty posted this 31 January 2010

For many years our deer populations have been very high.  I didn't mind, and in fact intentionally, handicapped myself in my choice of firearm.  Now our DNR has managed the herd and also managed the Timberwolf population.  All of a sudden getting a deer has become a challenge once again.  This is a great excuse for a new rifle. While much of the shooting is close, two of our better stands have opportunities out to 200 yds.

I have a 308 length action on hand which limits my options somewhat.  I am thinking a 358 Winchester with a 20 inch barrel - stout but easily handled in a tree stand.  There are 14” twist barrels in #4 contour readily available.  It is my intention to use loads in the 1800 - 2000 fps range.  I have not selected a mold yet.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences before I spend the money.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 31 January 2010

Here you can admire my  new bullets from an LBT 4 cavity mould.

250 grains

I have just tried them  at 25 meters with this short range brush gun of mine .

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 31 January 2010

I have a 35 whelen rifle and a 358JDJ Contender(14") and use the 358315 and 358318 in them . I BELIEVE the .358 Win to be a some what better round for CAST bullet shooting. I am thinking of rebarreling one of my short action guns, but worry a bit about getting FACTORY brass. I know I can reform .243 thru 308 cases, but I have those guns also. My worry is that I'd grab a box of ammo that had been reformed and NOT notice till I got in the field:uhuhuh:

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 31 January 2010

I have a 35 whelen rifle and a 358JDJ Contender(14") and use the 358315 and 358318 in them . I BELIEVE the .358 Win to be a some what better round for CAST bullet shooting. I am thinking of rebarreling one of my short action guns, but worry a bit about getting FACTORY brass. I know I can reform .243 thru 308 cases, but I have those guns also. My worry is that I'd grab a box of ammo that had been reformed and NOT notice till I got in the field:uhuhuh:

Attached Files

raytear posted this 31 January 2010

Lefty,

SAECO has a 250 grain flat pointed semi-spitzer. gas-check bullet that shoots very well in my .35 Whelen. I believe it is short enough to fit a 358 Winchester as the mould belongs to one of my friends and he bought it to use in .356 Winchester chambered Marlin lever-actions.

I have some cast up and would be willing to send you a sample if you'd be interested.

Send me a PM with your address and I zip them to you.

RT

Attached Files

raytear posted this 31 January 2010

jhalcott,

There is another way to get the reformed brass you need, but with a different headstamp from the .243 or .308. That is to use 7mm or 8mm Mauser brass. The 8mm would probably be easier, as the mouth would not need to be opened quite as far as the 7mm.

My experience in opening .30-06 to .35 Whelen is that the cases are useable, but a bit short of the suggested trim-to length. That works OK for jacketed bullets, but not so well for CBs. I suspect you'd have a similar problem with the .243 or .308 cases.

The 57mm cases would need a bit more trimming, but would give you good, useable brass. The ?X 57mm cases are not a plentiful as the 51mm variety, but are usually available, and in bulk quantities from Midway, Cabela's, etc.

Attached Files

giorgio

You have a very nice set up, indeed.  I'll keep that LBT bullet in mind as I go forward.

Jim

Attached Files

I think brass is available. I'll do some checking tomorrow.

I am somewhat confused about which twist rate would be best, 12 or 14.

Attached Files

norm posted this 01 February 2010

Lefty,  I"ve shot a couple of deer with Browning BLR in 358 Winchester. I used an Old West 250gr. cast bullet at 2000 fps muzzle velocity. The Old West bullet is a very blunt hemi nose and measures 1.0 inches long with gc in place. From my references it appears 1x12 is standard twist for the 358 Win. Working the Greenhill formala I arrived at astability number of 93. Well under the 150 required for stability. Greenhill number for the Old West bullet in 1x16 twist is123.        I've also shot a few deer and an antelope with a 35 Remington using the RCBS 35-200-FN bullet at 1800 fps muzzle velocity.  They were just as dead as the ones shot with the 358 Win. I really don't think you need a bullet heavier than 200 gr. for deer.   Also going from 200gr. up to 250 gr bullets causes a very substantial increase in recoil.  Of course the Browningis not the greatest rifle for handling recoil. It's light, half a pound less than  na Marlin 336 carbine and with the straight grip stock and a lot of drop at the heel it pounded my cheekbone pretty hard until I had it Magna-Ported. That made a big difference and did not hurt accuracy with lubed and gas checked bullets. I did not try paper patched bullets tillafter Magna-Porting. Nothing but keyholes.   I never shot any deer farther than about 125 yards with either the 358 Win or the 35 Rem so I can't say how they would be at 200 yards. I couldn't find any trajectory notes on the 358Win but for the 35 Rem zeroed 3 inches high at 100 yards point of impact at 200 yards is 7 inches low with the RCBS bullet at 1800 fps muzzle velocity.  Best Wishes,Norm

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 01 February 2010

My 35 whelen has got a 1/16 inch twist,that shot well the Lyman 358009 bullet,a 280 grainer ,with  stiff loads of Rex III .

My 358009 bullets were well made,correct bullet shank,correct 359 bands and a long nose that engraved in the lands,but without effort in chambering the round.

Of course I have lost the mould in my loading rooms (at Mount Athos).

The 250 grain LBT bullet has all correct diameters too(it's a custom  bullet mold) and will be stabilized in my twist.

My big boars are bigger and tougher than  your whitetails,and being driven by hounds,we cannot choose our shot,and,worst case approach, I want to penetrate well a running away animal.

I would have preferred a 1/12 twist to use 300 grains plus bullets,having a longer action rifle and a longer neck case.

But I think that a short action 358Win with 250 bullet would be enough gun for your hunting condition.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 01 February 2010

Sorry I posted a picture of hunters.

Here is Lucky Rubattino 6 foot tall ,a small suzuki jeep and a big adult sow,killed with a 12 ga brenneke ball.

And the adult males,can be much  bigger.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 01 February 2010

I hope this thread keeps going but I just wanted to stop and thank everyone for sharing your experience with me (and pictures, Giorgio). I took my stock and action to the gunsmith today. After much discussion we decided to go with the 1X12 twist.

I am going to haunt evil bay in pursuit of 35 caliber moulds while I am waiting for my rifle. NEI has a nice 232 gr FP which I am also considering. Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks again - its fun to focus on hunting with cast.

Attached Files

testhop posted this 02 February 2010

jhalcott wrote: I have a 35 whelen rifle and a 358JDJ Contender(14") and use the 358315 and 358318 in them . I BELIEVE the .358 Win to be a some what better round for CAST bullet shooting. I am thinking of rebarreling one of my short action guns, but worry a bit about getting FACTORY brass. I know I can reform .243 thru 308 cases, but I have those guns also. My worry is that I'd grab a box of ammo that had been reformed and NOT notice till I got in the field:uhuhuh: graf and sons have 358 brass;}

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 02 February 2010

I got new brass and had a choice of three brands of dies right over the counter at the local gun shop today.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 17 February 2010

the barrel in in, the reamer is coming and I have found one mould - Lyman 358315. I should have a picture to post in a couple of weeks.

Attached Files

beerd posted this 18 February 2010

Lefty, if you are still looking for a mould, these guys make real good ones and have Lyman 358318 clones on hand.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71160>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71160

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 19 February 2010

Have been hunting and shooting deer with a 358 Win for 22 years. Worked up a load for my Savage 110CL /Doug barrel, 14 twist: 308 WW brass necked up WLR primer 43 grains IMR 3031 Lyman 358318 cast of 9+1 WW/Lino size to .358, NO Lube Paper patched with 20# 100% cotton bond, teflon sprayed,sized to .360/MTL lube . Seat out to just clear the Savage Magazine. Velocity across the Oehler 33 is 2350fps Shot a goodly number of WI whitetails with this. Good one shot kills,always complete penetration. The shoulder shot has become my favorite. Drops them on the spot, and even with the bone hit, you can eat almost up to the bullet hole. beltfed/Arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
runfiverun posted this 20 February 2010

i just neck up mili brass so i really have no issues with messing up with the 308. even a short glance at 4 a.m. and you will recognize a 358 from a 308. i shoot the saeco 250 grainer in my 358 win ruger hawkeye sized to 358 and pushed along with rl-19 easiest combination i have ever had come together with cast. i just used jacketed data and shot it. the brass is available and is actually easier for me to get than new x57 brass is. i doubt penetration is going to be an issue it's finding out whats going to stop it to 200 yds that'll be the problem.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 20 February 2010

I know I will be pushing things at 200 yd. I need 150 for sure as that is the exact distance from my tower stand across a red willow slough to a major crossing. Savage 110CL - is this a factory chambering or a rebarrel job? It must be a thumper on both ends as that is a light rifle.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 20 February 2010

That's a tough goal  ,for real men.

I'd shoot at that distance my 250 grainers from LBT,using water quenched whell weights.

You now have the duty of posting your results ,with pictures.

I am a modest  12 to 80 meters cast bullet hunter.

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 23 February 2010

Sunday afternoon I fired the first group from my new .358 BLR.  I boresighted it, fired two sighters and then a four shot group.  Range conditions were sub zero, twenty mph winds and my finger was freezing to the trigger.  Distance was 100 yards.  Load was 42 gr IMR-3031 under a 245 gr Saeco ACWW.  How did it do?

Attached Files

testhop posted this 24 February 2010

looks likeyou have your load worked out..

Attached Files

wow that is good shooting .

Attached Files

Attached Files

Attached Files

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 24 February 2010

testhop wrote: looks like you have your load worked out.. No, not really.  That load was simply one that worked well in my Savage 99.  I have to start tweaking it up and down to get the best combination of velocity and accuracy.  The BLR is destined to be a hunter and as moose and big black bear are on the menu, I need the load to hit as hard as possible while still retaining reasonable accuracy.  I'll keep posting my results but I don't expect to do too much until the weather warms up some.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 06 March 2010

I have my new 358 home from the gunsmith and will post a picture soon- I hope.

Tony65x55 - You can bet I am going to try your load. That is very impressive accuracy.

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 07 March 2010

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing your new .358. I haven't done any more load development on the rifle yet as cold weather and other commitments have kept me away from the range. But spring is coming!

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 07 March 2010

Ooops, double post.  Sorry

Attached Files

bruce posted this 08 March 2010

I have a .358 Winchester BLR and arthritis in my shoulders. I have shied away from 250 grainers. I admire the target you posted, but I almost need an ibuprofin after looking at it. It sounds like you will be using the weapon as it was intended. I mostly control paper plate populations with mine.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 08 March 2010

I had arthritis in both of my shoulders,actually a bilateral scapulo omeral  periarthrithis.A pinch of sand in the ball bearings.

I had both shoulder  cleaned of the sand endoscopically,some years ago and they made me as good as new,

Unfortunately there are no such  clever solutions available for many other parts of my carcass,brains included.

Before the operationns I vas unable to hold a rifle grasping the handguard in the offhand position.And do not mention recoil on the right shoulder.

Ask your doctor.

Picture of me and my Lott.I use cast bullets loads,but not sqib loads.

Attached Files

bruce posted this 08 March 2010

Giorgio, I think your shoulder surgery experience was more positive than mine. Maybe my next rifle should be a Daisy or Benjamin!

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 23 March 2010

Here is a picture of my “new” 358 Winchester. The barrel is a #4 contour. The action is a left hand Remington.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 23 March 2010

Whew!:D

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 23 March 2010

bruce wrote: I have a .358 Winchester BLR and arthritis in my shoulders. I have shied away from 250 grainers. I admire the target you posted, but I almost need an ibuprofin after looking at it. It sounds like you will be using the weapon as it was intended. I mostly control paper plate populations with mine.

I too have arthritis in my right shoulder and a .358 BLR. Mine is the early one with the magazine that hangs down and I replaced the pad with a Packmayr Decelecator which made a huge difference in the comfort level. You might want to look into one of those.

Paul B.

Attached Files

bruce posted this 23 March 2010

"Cheaper than surgery, safer than drugs!"  :doooah:

I need to look into that!

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 28 April 2010

Need to jump in here.

I have a BLR and want to use AT LEAST 250 GRAIN. I hunt western Montana and the Griz are more plentiful than Obama handouts.

I mentioned using the 280 grain Lyman 358009  on another page here. Another member thinks it too long for a BLR.

Any comments ? Have any of you used it in a BLR>?

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 30 April 2010

I'd have to go double check but yes, I think it may be too long for a BLR. RCBS has a 250 gr. bullet that is apparently a special order deal ($100 when I bought mine.) and I think it too may be too long for a BLR. I'm basing that on the magazine for my gun which is the first model BLR with the magazine that hangs down. The newer guns may have slightly longer magazines. I have several rifles (5) in .358 and even the one based on a Mauser will not let me use #3589/358009 because while the magazine is long enough, the throat is too short and none of the gunsmiths in my area have a reamer long enough to correct the problem. The only alternative is seat the bullet deep enough so that it will fit and then the base sticks out into the powder area of the case. I can get away with the 250 gr. RCBS bullet in the Mauser but nothe BLR, 99 Savage or my two Ruger M77 tang safety guns. Now that I think about it, the throats are all too short in all of my .358s so even if the magazines were long enough, there would still be a problem.

I know Paco Kelly uses #3589 in a .358 but I'm wondering what the throat is like in his rifle. I asked him once when he was on Sixgunner.com but I never got an answer. I'm thiking that the bore riding nose would have to be just so to be a slightly snug slip fit into the throat and lands.

Now if you're hunting in “Griz” country and you're worried about the bears, you might consider a stiff load using the Barnes 225 gr. TSX bullet. I know it's not a cast bullet but when it's my hide on the line, I look at what might be the best way to go. I've only tried that bullet in my .35 Whelen and I get half inch 3 shot groups almost as a matter of course.

The area where I like to hunt deer, provided I can draw a tag sometimes has elk or bison (buffalo) come onto the deer's range and the state doesn't like that. Last time i hunted threr (2 years ago now) if you spotted either elk or bison, you could buy a tag and go get one. I suppose one could just buy the tags as a just in case type deal but they ain't cheap. Two years ago, an elk tag was $75. This year they were $125, and that's for a resident tag. Non-resident just plain have to bend over.

You know, it would really be fun if I could get a crack at a bison. I wouldn't be at all afraid to use #3589 on one or an elk for that matter. Well, I'll cross that bridge when the opportunity shows up provided I can draw a tag for that area.

Paul B.

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 30 April 2010

Thanks much for the excellent information.

THATS what I have been needing is someone with experience with the BLR .

Well, can a 245 be used then and if so, can it be cranked up to about 2500fps?

I am beginning to like the idea of the Barnes, I just thought they were not accurate.

Was going to buy some Nosler 225 gr partition but now will consider the Barnes.

You are blessed to hunt / live in an area with elk and bison. When I lived in Montana in the 80s you could just start hunting bison. An Griz license was 25 bucks ! really.

Now ,so many griz and wolf in western Montana that the game herds are collapsing so am thinking of hunting south into CO or NM

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 30 April 2010

Silverbuzzard, you should be able to get 2300 fps, maybe squeak out 2400 fps with the Saeco 245 gr (actually cast 250 out of ww metal.) To get faster than that you need a Whelan or bigger. The good news is, at those speeds cast boolits perform as good or better than the finest jacketed bullets you can buy. The flat point on the Saeco delivers enormous hitting power and the penetration and weight retention are simply awesome. It should capably handle anything your going to shoot in Montana. While I've never shot a grizz with it, I've shot thousand lb moose and large black bears (in Ontario a 500+lb Blackie is not terribly uncommon) with no problem. Dead right there.

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 30 April 2010

THANKS . Really would like to stay with cast

now torn between Barnes and Saeco

This Saeco looks like a real A$$ kicker

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 30 April 2010

The 25gr difference is weight between the 225 Barnes TSX and the Saeco is going to make as much difference as the 200 fps velocity difference you might have between max loads for both...NOT MUCH!

At the speeds the .358 is working at the cast bullet will perform as well, or better, than the Barnes. Cast boolits don't need to expand to kill well.

What will make a difference is that for the price of two boxes of Barnes 225gr TSX, you can buy a mold that will churn out tens of thousands of excellent bullets. You can then afford to practice, practice, practice until you and your rifle are one. Imagine the shot, make the shot.

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 01 May 2010

Well,

you guys explain this very well, am in agreement that that mould is worth buying over the 2 boxes of Barnes

Jacketed has become so expensive!

I have always hunted with an 06 and 180 Noslers and had great results. At 58  I am just wanting to get back to roots and think the cast  is the way to go.

Now I need to do some reading about casting 101 to get back the mindset. HAve an old NRA book titled CAst Bullets by Harris .

I need a bullet lube press also ,right? You guys have a preference?   

Attached Files

Tony65x55 posted this 01 May 2010

For the last 30 years I've been using an ancient Lyman 450. It has to be older than me but it still perks along. It's probably one of the less desirable lubrasizers but it works great for me. RCBS makes a decent one too and the Lyman's and RCBS use the same sizing dies which are cheap and plentiful. There are other lubrasizers that are much better and take their own proprietary dies (read:expensive) but I'm happy with the old Lyman. I bought it at a gun show for $25 so I guess it's paid for itself :)  I have seen dozens of them in that price range. I picked up one for my hunting partner at least 25 years ago and his is still going strong too. Just don't get too rough with them.

For the BLR, I use a .360” sizing die and good old Alox/Beeswax lube. Nothing fancy, it works. A lube like Carnuba Red might give you even better performance. Stay with reasonably soft lubes unless your lubrasizer comes with a heater.  I've run up boolits to 2500 fps with zero leading, gas checked of course.

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 01 May 2010

Thanks Tony

On my way to a show now to hunt up some tools

Attached Files

Tycer posted this 22 May 2010

silverbuzzard wrote: Need to jump in here.

I have a BLR and want to use AT LEAST 250 GRAIN. I hunt western Montana and the Griz are more plentiful than Obama handouts.

I mentioned using the 280 grain Lyman 358009  on another page here. Another member thinks it too long for a BLR.

Any comments ? Have any of you used it in a BLR>?

It hits the barrel bolt lugs on chambering which gouge the bullet nose badly. In fact, all four of the 358 BLRs I've owned chewed the noses of wide meplat or RN bullets and the last bullet out of the mag jams up on those lugs. Both post and pre 81 BLRs.

These are SAECO 351s 200 grain plain base semi-spitzer:

Attached Files

silverbuzzard posted this 22 May 2010

NOT what I wanted to hear!

Attached Files

Tycer posted this 22 May 2010

silverbuzzard wrote: NOT what I wanted to hear!

I know. It's the only gun I can't shoot cast out of.

I bought a pre-81 358, got disgusted, sold it. I bought another, got disgusted, sold it. I bought another, then the pre-81 magazine market went berserk and I sold the gun and all my extra mags and with the money bought a new 358 takedown, a boatload of 200 grain Rem Corelokt, a Marlin XS7 308, 500 match prepped LC brass, and I ain't lookin back. The XS7 might become a 358.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 08 October 2010

Just a quick update from when I started this thread. We are approaching deer season and I have been doing some load development in my 358. I have not been able to find a flat point style bullet mould that I like so I have decided to proceed with the Lyman 358315. It feeds very smoothly in my rifle. I have tried a number of powders but Rx7 has emerged as the winner for this season. I am using 32 gr and getting about 1,825 fps. That is less velocity than the Lyman manual indicates but accuracy is very good and felt recoil is mild.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 08 October 2010

Lefty wrote: Just a quick update from when I started this thread. We are approaching deer season and I have been doing some load development in my 358. I have not been able to find a flat point style bullet mould that I like so I have decided to proceed with the Lyman 358315. It feeds very smoothly in my rifle. I have tried a number of powders but Rx7 has emerged as the winner for this season. I am using 32 gr and getting about 1,825 fps. That is less velocity than the Lyman manual indicates but accuracy is very good and felt recoil is mild.

That ought to work. :dance

Paul B.

Attached Files

oldhoss posted this 09 October 2010

Another option if you get low on brass is to take 35 whelen brass, run it through your 358 size die and then trim it to length. I found this to work very well with no case loss due to split necks from expanding smaller cases. I have an RCBS electric trimmer so it was no trouble to trim. Might be tiresome with a manual trimmer though.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 09 October 2010

Hoss. I have a friend who deals in reloading supplies that hits the local gun shows. He's from out of town and come sin from Colorado. One time he had 5 bags of new .358 Win. brass on his table. He said he couldn't give that stuff away so I told him he could give it to me. I got 500 cases of new .358 brass for $100. I don't think I'll be doing any converting any time soon.:dance Actually, it's a lot easier to just run .308 Win. brass through the resizing die and trim the neck just enough to insure that it's square.

Paul B.

Attached Files

oldhoss posted this 09 October 2010

Sounds like you are in good shape for brass. I had to use the whelen brass back in the early nineties when we had a primer, ammo, component shortage very much like the one we just endured. A couple of years later I got a bag of 500 358 cases from Graf's.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 10 October 2010

Hopefully I will be able to let everyone know how it works.  There are no resident packs of timberwolves in my immediate area this fall so the prospects for venison in the freezer are much brighter than they were last.

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 10 December 2010

Glad to see this thred is still going. Been away for a while. I just got back from a cow elk hunt. Sorry, I didn't shoot cast but I did use those barnes TSX 225 gr. bullets that shot so well in my Whelen. All I will say is I never saw an animal drop so darn fast in my life. She hit the deck fo fast she bounced. Damage from that bullet was massive. If I hadn't seen it, i would not have believed a solid copper bullet could be so destructive.

Now that this hunt is done, I may be ablw to swing one more. Then I can get back to shootung the cast bullets. Until I get the accuracy I want from my .358 and Whelen with cast, those bullets won't get used. To do otherwise would disrespect a game animal.

Paul B.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 25 December 2011

Two hunting seasons have passed since my last post. I carried my 358 both seasons whenever the range limitations of the stand I was using allowed it. Nothing! I tend to be a little superstitious about my rifles and I am beginning to worry about the 358.

Now to the point of the post, the first season I used the Lyman 358315 bullet exclusively. It shoots well in my rifle and feeds smoothly. However I kept looking for a flat nose bullet to try. This fall I bought an excellent mold from Tom at Accurate molds. It drops a 210 gr flat nose bullet. This bullet also shoots well but will not feed from one side of my rifles staggered magazine. I have the same problem with the nose catching that Tycer noted in post 47 above. My rifle feeds fine from the right side of the magazine. This allows me to use the rifle as a single shot if I feed the round from the magazine. If I feed the first round manually, I can have a two shooter as the top round in the magazine feeds from the right side. As soon as I try to feed a round from the left side of the magazine, the bullet catches on the top of the barrel bolt lugs.

My rifle has a Remington action. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a likely fix?

Jim

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 25 December 2011

"I tend to be a little superstitious about my rifles and I am beginning to worry about the 358."

I have that same problem with my 7x57 Mauser. Two shots at deer and didn't recover eeither one.

"Is there a likely fix?"

You might try a different bullet. Maybe the RCBS #35-200 FN might work for you. It feeds well in my two Ruger M77s and fed very nicely in a Mauser actioned rifle I had in .358. I don't have that one any more. Seems like this guy wanted it badly and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Anyway that's what I think I would look into is a different bullet. Paul B.

Attached Files

León posted this 27 December 2011

Lefty, I'd check the left mag lip for drag, polish off any burrs. If that's not the problem I'd reduce the meplat of the bullet that hangs up with a deburring tool just to see if changing the nose profile makes a difference.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 07 January 2012

I took the rifle to a gunsmith yesterday. He thinks the rail on the left side of the action needs to be relieved slightly. I tried polishing the rails before I took the gun to him. Polishing alone was not sufficient. The action started life as a 22-250 so I wonder if the rails were slightly too narrow for the chubby 358. I'll report back when the 'smith finishes his work.

Attached Files

aaalaska posted this 26 January 2012

I am just thinking about adding a barrel for my Encore a friend has been pushing the 358 JDJ, I had been thinking 358 win. but am still up in the air.Any thoughts /input appreciated.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 January 2012

anybody hunting with these slow moving bowling balls should look into a laser rangefinder....while in a blind/stand you can range features for pre-determined hold-overs. ...and if you think a 35 bullet at 2000 is bad, try bean cans with my 45-70 at 1000 plinker loads.  (g) ken

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 26 January 2012

aaalaska wrote: I am just thinking about adding a barrel for my Encore a friend has been pushing the 358 JDJ, I had been thinking 358 win. but am still up in the air.Any thoughts /input appreciated.

I had an Encore Pro Hunter for awhile and one of the barrels I had for it was in 338 Federal . I like that cartridge much better then the 358 WIN . Only 358 WIN I had was in a  Ruger 77R tang safety rifle .

I did however have a couple Marlin 336ER's in 356 WIN which is pretty much nothing but the 358 WIN with a rim and a bit thicker web in the case bottom . And of course you can't load them as hot .

I had pretty decent luck with one of the 356's using the Ranch Dog no longer made 359-180GC and his present offering the 359-190GC .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 26 January 2012

Ken Campbell, Iowa wrote: anybody hunting with these slow moving bowling balls should look into a laser rangefinder....while in a blind/stand you can range features for pre-determined hold-overs. ...and if you think a 35 bullet at 2000 is bad, try bean cans with my 45-70 at 1000 plinker loads.  (g) ken

I had pretty decent luck this past deer season using bowling balls ;)

Used bullets in variouse 444's from 280-400 grains of course all were going about as warm as I could run them . And none of my shots were over 80 yards .

Attached Files

aaalaska posted this 27 January 2012

Guess I should explain. I have a 35 rem, and reload for it . So to keep from going any further over the edge,I try to limit the calibers I use. I load for 22 cal 6.5mm ,30,35 ,375, 44, 45.And at 60+ am not looking for any more heavy recoil types.The 444, 460 S&W, and 45/70 in the TC's have become more than I enjoy a day at the range with, unless loaded down a bit.I was looking for something mid range to use for black bear/ moose, in Grizzly country. And while the 35 rem is plenty for Black bear + moose,I feel it's a little light if needed for the other guys. I usually carry a 45/70 for them but like everyone else that hunt here ,have found myself without it, and that is not a great feeling. Alex

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 27 January 2012

I like my 358 Winchester. My cast bullet loads are similar to 35 Rem factory loads on paper at least. If I were going to carry it in bear country with cast bullets, I would opt for a 250 gr+ bullet made from a fairly hard alloy. I would also push them as fast as reasonable accuracy would allow. Recoil would be stout - at least by my wimpy standards.

Attached Files

testhop posted this 29 January 2012

i had a 358 win shot 3 deer one shot each none had to be tracked . got the brass by shooting 308s (not full charges) in the 358 made loading 358 a snap

Attached Files

uncowboy posted this 17 March 2013

Lefty I also have a Ruger Frontier in 358 I use 250 Gr cast over IMR 3031 and I get 1 ” at 100 Yds . This is a great gun and you are not pushing it at all at 200 yds. I couldnt beleive how little bullet drop I have at 200. I would take it to 250 with a nice open feild shot. The 3031 powder let me get more velosity with great accuracy. Hunted the gun in PA but have not killed a deer with it yet but I did water test the load at 75 yards and I had over 20” penetration and the bullet got through 1-2 layers of a bullet proof vest I draped to recover the slug. It retained 93% of its weight and doubbled its diamiter. You can't get any better than that. J.Michael

Attached Files

Riposte1 posted this 27 November 2014

Many years ago, when I had more time, I acquired a Lyman mold for the .348 Winchester... I forget the number but it is a 245 or 250 gr bullet.

I didn't have a .348 though I did cast some up for a friend that did have one.  I did however have a '98 Mauser in .350 Remington Magnum and I hit upon the odd plan of wrapping a couple of wraps of 25% cotton paper around it and sizing it to .358"

they shot good in the Mauser but alas I never shot anything that bleeds with that load.

Fast forward and today I own two .358s; a Ruger Frontier which is a nifty little carbine that comes much closer to the Scout concept than Rugers nominal G.S.R. and a Browning take-down BLR..... I need to find some of those bullets I made up and try those!!!!!

Come to think of it, I also own an 1886 Winchester in .33 WCF, need to find out if those .348 bullets can stand zising them down .10?  Better yet, I own several .338 bore rifles I need to just find a good .338 mold.

Riposte

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
beltfed posted this 14 January 2023

Guys, from the "243 Win Cast" thread, here is a good review on 35s

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken, here is a picture of my Savage 110CL magazine.  The rifle is indeed a short action Savage 

Was a 243Win.  Max length in the magazine is 2.907". Longer than the 243, 308, and 358 Win OAL

I think the short action Rem may have a slightly shorter magazine, but note that my load for the 250 grain PPed Lyman 358318 fits the Savage mag with room to spare and the front edge of the Paper just slightly crush fits into the lands in my Douglas chambered 358 Win barrel.

Note also the 358 win case with the 358009 282 grain thumper. 

PS, I have a Neck and throat cutter that I had used on my 358 Long neck beltless magnume years back I don't know if it has a longer throat . I should check that against my Savage 358 chamber.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift

Here is a pIc of my 358 Long Neck beltless mag ctges alongside 35 whelen long neck( simply use 270 or 280 rem brass) . I turned the belts off 300 win mag brass, and ran them into a shortened 358 Norma Mag die, Then set back the 358 Norma barrel enought to remove the belt cut, and then ran the 35 cal neck and throat cutter in far enough to be using the full length formed 300 win mag brass. 

alongside my 358 Win iwith the 250 grain 358318 PP load.

Arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 January 2023

thanks Beltfed ... gee, i am impressed .  ken

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 15 January 2023

Ken,

I noted in the 243 thread you were already building a 35 Whelen. Good choice for all around, 

So, no real need for you to now go and build a 358W. 

I had looked at building a 35 whelen for my deer and whatever hunting, It will do it all

but, after "fooling around" with lhat 358 beltless magnum, and the LONG action, 

I decided on a Factory round, AND the Short Action for my deer hunting. I can simply neck up available 308 brass if I can't get 358 W brass.

That shorter action is really "IT" for fast shooting in the North woods if needed.  Very fast, if you practice some. It served me well in a couple of instances where I shot multiple deer Quickly.

Also, I went with a 24" Doutlas No. 3 barrel on the 358W Savage short action.  I found that my loads were Very close to those of my friend's 35 whelen. No need for the long action, larger caliber for most of my hunting which is/was in the North Woods.  Sometimes, I think I should have gone with a 22" , but, I have gotten along nicely with the 24".

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Close