bullet weight to powder charge ratio ((bullseye).380 auto)

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 26 March 2010
euthanasia posted this 16 February 2010

So what is the ratio of bullseye pistol powder to bullet weight (cast).

I've bought a FIE titan .380 and the sucker jams every shot with S&B. But if I work the action manually works fine. So I thought if I load a 124 gr. 9mm cast bullet(within the OAL of course),becuase thats what I got, with a moderate powder charge it would be able to push that slide back far enough to keep it from jammin up.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

whats with the ** it only said s u c k u e r

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 February 2010

The only reference I could find is the 1973 Lyman cast bullet manual. It list 1.6 grains of Bullseye, (600 f/s @ 10,500 CUP) to 2.1 grains (750 f/s @ 15,200 CUP) with their 121 grain 358242 #2 alloy sized 0.355” with an OAL length of 0.980".

I don't know anyone who has ever loaded this bullet, so you are out of my experience range.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

RicinYakima wrote: The only reference I could find is the 1973 Lyman cast bullet manual. It list 1.6 grains of Bullseye, (600 f/s @ 10,500 CUP) to 2.1 grains (750 f/s @ 15,200 CUP) with their 121 grain 358242 #2 alloy sized 0.355” with an OAL length of 0.980".

I don't know anyone who has ever loaded this bullet, so you are out of my experience range.

HTH, Ric  

Thats still a big help because I was thinking of starting at like 3 grs. because the speer 12th edition lists the 9mm luger at 4.0 as starting load for bullseye at the same bullet weight and I could not find anything online to guide me. It looks like this guess would have cost me my hand or at least a couple of fingers, which aint no better. But I guess I could still work that action with three digits huh.

Do you think you could post a link to that info or was it in a actual book?

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 February 2010

euthanasia wrote: whats with the ** it only said s u c k u e r

The forum software doesnt allow certain words that are on the banned list.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 February 2010

euthanasia wrote: Thats still a big help because I was thinking of starting at like 3 grs. because the speer 12th edition lists the 9mm luger at 4.0 as starting load for bullseye at the same bullet weight and I could not find anything online to guide me.Yep, that would have been a very bad idea! Less powder capacity, 1/2 the pressure range of a 9MM and in an unlocked breech!Do you think you could post a link to that info or was it in a actual book?

It is a book, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 1973 edition. Some for sale on Ebay right now, most sell for about $10.

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 17 February 2010

Thanks for the info but it seems that these are speer tip not RN so when I seat it to within the OAL its in there way to far, so i just pulled a few of the S&B and replaced the powder with some bullseye(about 3.4 with a 96 RN) and i'll see if that does the trick tomorrow when I hit the range before work.

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 19 February 2010

ahh screw it I took it back and through down some more dough and bought a kel tec .380

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 24 February 2010

Whether it is a Titan or Kel-Tec, it's still a .380. I think if you search .380 acp you should come up with some load data. Most .380 ammo is loaded with 95gr bullets or so. Going to a 124gr bullet increases weight about 25%. At the same time reducing case capacity. The weight increase alone dictates a reduction in powder charge. Extrapolating charges from 9mm P. (stronger action due to being locked breech) for most .380s (usually blow-back operated) should be done with caution. rp

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 25 February 2010

If you don't have a manual, go to Alliant's or IMR's websites, and look through their reloading data on line. This can be done for each individual calilber, and has the most current load data.

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 26 February 2010

I know the 124gr is a bit heavy but I'm looking for something for both my 9mm carbine and that little kel-tec. I'll probably just load the 95gr for both(which is kinda lite for the 9mm but I might just have to).

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 26 February 2010

euthanasia wrote: I know the 124gr is a bit heavy but I'm looking for something for both my 9mm carbine and that little kel-tec. I'll probably just load the 95gr for both(which is kinda lite for the 9mm but I might just have to).

You really should consider getting the appropriate bullet weight for each caliber.  Whichever way you go, light or heavy, will be a compromise and you will not be happy with one or the other.  It would be more sensible to select the light bullet for the .380 acp and the heavier bullet for the 9MM.  After all, you can still use the same size primers and same powder.  Just read and follow the instructions in the reloading manual.

You may find that loading a heavier than normal bullet in the 380 will produce objectionable recoil.  That could be very interesting depending upon how the gun fits your hand.  Duane

Attached Files

euthanasia posted this 27 February 2010

ya I'm kink of a “universalist” if you will, but I guess I should heed your advice because the .380 already has quite a kick.Its a kel-tec p3at. THANKS!!!

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 26 March 2010

I agree with Duane, the use of a bullet designed for the 9mm Luger might produce heavier recoil in the smaller, lighter 380acp. I have two 380's one of which is a Ruger LCP and I have cast some Lee 105gr. round nose bullets out of wheel weights for it. I tried 2.5grs, 2.7grs. and 3.0grs. of Bullseye and settled on the 2.7gr. load as it shot fine and recoiled less that the 3.0 gr. load. The 2.5gr. load shot and functioned well but was well under the recoil felt from factory jacketed rounds. I sized my Lee cast bullets to .357” and lubed them with 50/50 alox/beeswax, no leading was noted and they chambered and functioned 100%. Always consult reloading manuals and work loads up from the lowest listed charges for safety. Good luck!

Attached Files

Close