G'day all, just sharing some pics

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 17 March 2010
caithness77 posted this 24 February 2010

Hello all, Just thought I'd start up on this forum seeing as I will be loading cast very soon. Why cast? Well have a look at this little beauty ...... It's a Tranter made 'Little Monarch", retailed through Watkins Bros, Old Bond St London in about 1895, cal is 300 Rook. I will need brass, dies and mold info, so if there are any suggestions I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Hope you enjoy, Stuart Brisbane Australia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fred Sinclair posted this 24 February 2010

Stuart, “little beauty” does not do it justice. Makes me want to go throw all my junk in the creek.

I know nothing about the 300 Rook but others here will. Welcome to the forum.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 February 2010

What a lovely old piece! I'm envious. I believe your neighbors at CBE make a proper heeled bullet for this little darling. If I had it here in the USA I'd be tempted to rechamber it to shoot .32 S&W Long.

I have an Army & Navy Tranter Patent rook rifle originally made in .360 No. 5 with Henry style rifling which I rechambered to .38 Special and shoot hollow-based target wadcutters in it. It is great fun to shoot, quiet and accurate. Not as pretty as yours, as its metal finish is worn, and has some dings and the straight grip stock has several crack repairs, but it is my treasure. I need to post a photo.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 February 2010

OMG, that rifle is gorgeous!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 24 February 2010

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on finding that little Rook Rifle. It certainly looks to be in great condition and should be a good shooter. It must be uncommon as I have never seen nor read about that model. I thought that Bertrams was producing cases for it or the .300 Sherwood but can't find my list. “Cartridges of the World” and Donnelys “The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions” gives a couple loads. Donnely states that RCBS #16 is the proper shellholder. COTW lists Lyman #311245 weighing approximately 90 grains. They say to use 10.0 grains of 4198 for 1,150 fps. The second load is 5.0 grains of Unique.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Neil

Attached Files

lil.32 posted this 25 February 2010

Hi Stuart, Nice rifle. .300 Rook cases are made by Bertram in Victoria, Australia. Cast Bullet Engineering or CBE in Sydney, Australia makes a .301 mould and CH4D in the USA at ch4d.com has the reloading dies. Happy casting.

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 25 February 2010

Stuart, that is one special rifle! If ever there was a reason for someone to start casting and handloading,that is it! What a great 1st post! Welcome!

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 February 2010

Now that is a sweetheart indeed! That is a great find congrats and welcome to the forum. You looking to adopt any kids?

Attached Files

raytear posted this 25 February 2010

So that is where Thompson-Center got the idea for the design of their Contender's original grip!

For loading data and write up on rook rifles, forming cases, loading and shooting, Ross Seyfreid had a great article in Rifle or Handloader several years ago. You might be able to look at back issues on their web site. Wolfe Publishing is the name of the company.

Attached Files

Forgot to add, if I can remember to look and can find the magazine in question, I'll see about getting the info posted or perhaps copied and sent to “The Land Down Under".

Someone once said, “There are 2 things I don't like about getting older. No. 1, my memory gets shorter, and no. 2 is that my memory gets shorter."

Caithness77, your rifle is such a pretty little thing, if she were a “sheila” I'd take her home to mother.

Attached Files

Forgot to add, if I can remember to look and can find the magazine in question, I'll see about getting the info posted or perhaps copied and sent to “The Land Down Under".

Someone once said, “There are 2 things I don't like about getting older. No. 1, my memory gets shorter, and no. 2 is that my memory gets shorter."

Caithness77, your rifle is such a pretty little thing, if she were a “sheila” I'd take her home to mother.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 25 February 2010

VERY, VERY nice!

Makes my plain old TC carbine in .32 H&R look like “plain pudding"...:(

Thanks for sharing with us...

Dale53

Attached Files

Caithness77,

On your rifle, what is that rectangular shaped lug on the top of the upper tang over the pistol grip?

In the photo, it looks like it is machined as part of the tang. It is a sight base of some sort or intended as an attachment for some other kind of accessory?

Can we have a photo of the “business end” with the front sight, etc.

You can tell we're all envious as can be

Attached Files

caithness77 posted this 26 February 2010

Hi raytear, I would really appreciate it if you could find that article for me. That lug on top of the tang doesn't appear to has any use, though one would ask why put it there? Here is another view of it. Oh, by the way, the guy I bought/swapped this off also has a Alex Henry Martini in 380 Rook, I have been assured I have the first offer as soon as I'm ready (very bloody soon I hope). Wouldn't it be great if the history of that one shows it as a Tranter made Martini? Can't wait to take photos and post them on the forum.

Cheers, Stuart

Attached Files

caithness77 posted this 26 February 2010

Sorry raytear, Forgot to post the pics of the sights.

Stu

Attached Files

raytear posted this 26 February 2010

Stuart,

Great photos!

Many thanks for posting them. Obviously not simply a firearm, but a work of art.

Fortunately my drooling on the computer screen won't cause your rifle to develop rust spots.

I have should have time this afternoon, so I plan to look for the article. The title is something like “Little Rifles, Long Range". Seyfreid was doing some shooting out to 300 or 400 yards.

When I find it I'll send you a PM requesting your snail mailing address.

RT

Attached Files

raytear posted this 17 March 2010

Caithness77,

I have sent you a PM re: Seyfried article on rook rifles.

Attached Files

docbob posted this 17 March 2010

Stuart, What a beautiful little work of ART! Congratulations and welcome to this site.

Doc

Attached Files

Close