250gr in .45acp what load?

• 8K Views
  • Last Post 06 August 2010
jppr26 posted this 20 March 2010

im looking to load a cast 250gr SWC in my 911 but don't have any load data for that big of a bullet, what can you all do to help. thanks.

The powder i have to work with is Unique, Herco, and IMR 4064

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 20 March 2010

I made this stunt in a 625 S&W revolver,for bowling pin shooting.

They took off from the table like planes from the Enterprise.

I used the Lyman 250 cow boy bullet(4 cavity)In the cylinder I could make them as long as I liked.

Consider the bullets seating lenght an important variable,as far as pressure is concerned.

I used an Italian double base powder similar to Unique.Tecna,for Italian members.

Start with 3 grains and go up slowly.

What bullets are you using,?how they feed and cycle in your 911?

Please  do post pics and results.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 20 March 2010

i was thinking of starting at 1.5gr of unique and going up in half gr. increments till i reach 5gr.  Im going to load some up tonight and will test them tomarrow. 

I was just hoping that someone had already done this and had some data

im using the lee 452-252-swc, cast with a lino, WW, soft lead mix

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 20 March 2010

Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee has data for 45 ACP in an Auto using 240, 250, and 260 gr.. bullets.  I won't list the data here as my t yping and editing skills are not what I would like.  Also, I think that you should get data for loads--ESPECIALLY ONES THAT MIGHT BE ON THE HIGH SIDE-- directly from the source.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

454PB posted this 20 March 2010

Long ago I did what you want to do, but was using the Lyman 454190, which is the original .45 Colt design and weighs about 255 grains. I sized them .452, and slowly worked up to 6 grs. of Unique.

I'd be worried about sticking a bullet in the barrel with 1.5 grs. of Unique.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 21 March 2010

i was thinking that 1.5gr would be a bit on the light side but im going to be bringing a rod with me to clear it if i have to.  I just want to be cautious because my buddy did this but he uses 6.5gr, i shot a few out of my 911 and the primers didn't even have a dent from the firing pin, all they had was a brass dot on them where the nickle got wiped off them, and it was almost like shooting a magnum for the recoil

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 21 March 2010

well they shot good the rnds loaded at 1.5 performed about like an airsoft gun and they just bounced off 1/2” plywood. the loads didn't realy get good till 3.5gr and the max i loaded was 5.5gr

Attached Files

hicard posted this 23 March 2010

I used to shoot 4.5 grs of unique with a 255 gr bullet for bowling pins and found it to be a good load.

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 04 April 2010

well i worked up some loads for my 45acp with 250gr SWC cast bullets for 45lc.  I started at 1.5gr of unique and ended at 6.0gr, i used cci 300 primers and fired brass. here is what i came up with.

1.5gr load, did not cycle, could see the bullet in the air, and did not penitrate 1/2” plywood, 10yrd shot. bullets recoverd had little to no damage 100% weight retention

2.0gr load, did not cycle, 2 out of 5 rounds penitrated 1/2” plywood, 10yrd shot. bullets recoverd had some damage 100% weight retention 10yrd shot

2.5gr load, did not cycle, but accourate, 10yrd shot. bullets recoverd had some mushrooming 100% weight retention 10yrd shot

3.0gr load, did not cycle compleatly very good accuracy, bullets recoverd had damage but nearly intact. 95% weight retention 10yrd shot

3.5gr load, gun cycled compleatly with good accuracy bullets recovered were damaged but nearly intact. 95-90% weight retention 10yrd shot

4.0gr load, gun cycled, accuracy good bullets recovered were torn up from hitting rocks behind the target, +-75% weight retention 15yrd shot

4.5gr load same as above

5.0gr load recoil wasn't bad but the gun had alot of rise, bullets recoverd none 15yrd shot

5.5gr load same as above but 2 bullets were recoverd with +- 45% weight retention

6.0gr load showed signs of over preshure on the primer, testing ended

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 04 April 2010

Very clever post,most interesting info,, Just a pity you did not cronograph the loads,

To make it  really perfect you should post some pictures of the bullets and of the loaded rounds.

And of the pistol that feeds well your 250 revolver bullets.

I am shooting pins with unpublishable loads of Tecna and 230 flat nose bullets,I think I'll begin copying your loads.with Lyman 250 grains cowboy bullets.

Compliments again for your post,that's the correct way to approach experiments with reloading outside the paths set by reloading manuals. 

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 04 April 2010

ya im too cheap to buy a crono but i will post some pics when i can

Attached Files

csa 357 posted this 24 July 2010

i loaded some 252 swc in my 625 with 6.0 gr of unique they were pretty hot but no signs of over pressure

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 24 July 2010

Alliant lists 5.8 grains of Unique under a 230 LRN as max. Lee's book lists 5.4 grain under a Jacketed 260 grain. Under .45 Auto Rim, Lee shows the highest velocity with AA #9 and 255 grain cast. Note AA #9 is a very slow powder for the ACP, a lot slower than Unique. There is also some .45 Super data out there too.

I would quit at 5 grains if accurate and no pressure signs if I were you or get AA #9 or Blue Dot. Remember pressures go up in a hurry with this little of space and a fairly fast powder like Unique. The 625 is not built for magnum pressure but can stand some horsing around. Alliant 2400 is a good choice too.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

csa 357 posted this 05 August 2010

im going to load some more 252 cast swc but i will drop it down 4.5 or 5.0 the 6.0 was just to hot! ill let yall know how they do

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 06 August 2010

A 1911 is a rugged pistol but can batter quickly with “heavy for the caliber” bullets when loaded too hot.

I load a rather heavy charge of Unique in my 625's (.45 ACP) with 250 gr SWC's and get excellent results. They are within acceptable pressure limits but I would NOT shoot them in my 1911's.

Speer's #14 Reloading manual has data for the .45 Auto Rim with their 250 LSWC that shows a maximum load of 6.2 grains of Unique giving 824 FPS. That is within the pressure limits of your .45 ACP 1911. They also show a starting load of 5.8 grs of Unique that gives 772 fps.

1911's should have the weight of their recoil spring checked periodically. I would recommend an 18.0 spring for hardball and heavy bullet loads.

Dale53

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 August 2010

A charge of 5 grains of Unique or 4.0 grs. of Bullseye with the 250-gr. Speer SWC,  Remington lead conical, #454190, or #454424 functions the pistol reliably, is pleasant to shoot, and is accurate.   I use those same charges in the M1917 military revolver and in the .455 Hand Ejector.

Do not exceed 5.5 grs. of Unique with #454190 or #454424 using the standard 16 pound GI recoil spring, because with extensive use you WILL crack the frame. I ruined a good Remington-Rand WWII .45 in doing so.

In addition to the 18-lb. replacement spring, install a Delrin buffer on the recoil spring guide to reduce impact of the slide against the frame. I would not exceed 6.0 grs. of Unique with 250-grain bullets if you value the pistol. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close