Stuck gas check

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 19 July 2010
rikkor posted this 21 March 2010

I was setting up my press to load some 7 mms. I pressed in a bullet I had cast, to set the height (no powder). I whacked the bullet out, but the gas check stuck tight in the casing. It is a new casing, at about 87 cents worth. Anyone have a hint to help me save the case? Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 21 March 2010

Simply push down on one side of the gas check with a little screw driver. If it just tips sideways, grab it with needle nose plyers and pull it out.

If the check falls into the case, tip the case upside down to where you can then grab the check with needle nose plyers and pull it out. Then resize the case as it should be just fine.

The same can be done if you had charged the case with powder, except once the gas check has been dislodged, dump the powder out into another container to reclaim...................Dan

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 23 March 2010

A quick and dirty method that I've used lots of times (will I never learn) is to prime the case, load it in the gun, aim it into a trash can (containing trash) and pull the trigger.  In my experience, most of the gas checks stick in the bore and can be removed with a cleaning rod.  Need it be said that you would NEVER do this with a case that contains powder.

Jerry

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 23 March 2010

If all else fails get a small sheetrock screw and turn it into the check and pull out. This only works if the check is really “stuck". Otherwise it will just push it down. If you drill a tiny hole in check the screw will have a starter hole.

Good Luck

Bob D

Attached Files

rikkor posted this 23 March 2010

Thanks for the tips everyone. The GC is out of the case. I wondered about firing it out with only a primer, but caution go the better of me. I appreciate everyone's input.

Side note: I cast 150 .40 cal bullets after lunch today. Do they need to be sized to fire in a Beretta PX4?

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 23 March 2010

Come on now, we have to know. How did you get the gas check out?

mrbill2

Attached Files

rikkor posted this 23 March 2010

OK, OK, OK...I tapped it in with an awl, then fished it out with a needle-nose pliers.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 23 March 2010

I was hoping you tried jerryb's method. Just imagining the trash flying around (especially with what the 3 women in my house throw in there) had me LMAO thinking about it.:wow:

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 26 March 2010

You are living with three women --- what have you got to lose?

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 31 March 2010

rikkor wrote: I was setting up my press to load some 7 mms. I pressed in a bullet I had cast, to set the height (no powder). I whacked the bullet out, but the gas check stuck tight in the casing. It is a new casing, at about 87 cents worth. Anyone have a hint to help me save the case? Thanks.

rikkor:

I had the same problem----I would place the shell in my press and with a steel pin, press the gas check to one side and in its tipped position, I would use a needle nosed plier to pull it out.  Some reloaders would hammer the gas check on one side but I would strongly discourage that.  Using your press would afford you more control.

Be safe.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 19 July 2010

I've had the same problem but with loaded cases. I got the bullet out with an inertial bullet puller but the gas checks were stuck in the neck. I took them down to the range and fired them out. God only knows what the muzzle velocity was, a .308 with 10 gr of Red Dot behind it, but they went off with a sitisfiying bang!

Attached Files

Close