recipe casting bullets .30 for deer hunt whit (SUBSONIC LOADS)

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 October 2010
GANADERO posted this 13 April 2010

HELLO GUYS how are you I want know some opinions about récipes for casting bullets .30 caliber for hunting whit subsonic loads tanks very much friend   CHERRS

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ranch Dog posted this 14 April 2010

Honestly, I think you are going to loose animals.

The speed of sound at sea level and a standard atmosphere is 1116 FPS. Assuming you  shoot the C309-180-R at 1100 FPS, the bullet leaves the muzzle with slightly over 500 FPE. I hunt South Texas whitetails and our desert mule deer and consider the effective limits of the cartridge I'm shooting to be the point the bullet stops producing 1000 FPE.

Attached Files

GANADERO posted this 14 April 2010

Tanks for you answer friend RANCH DOG. then you recommend to me? a great bullet but.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 14 April 2010

GANADERO wrote: Tanks for you answer friend RANCH DOG. then you recommend to me? a great bullet but. I must not understand the question. I cannot recommend shooting a deer with a subsonic bullet.

Why do you want to use a subsonic bullet????

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 April 2010

Subsonic .30 cal. will do it only at close range within 50 yards, using a cup-point bullet of soft alloy, having a large meplat. For the .30-30 I had http://www.hollowpointmold.com>http://www.hollowpointmold.com modify an RCBS 30-180FN, enlarging meplat to .250", boring out GC heel to provide a wider base band of .312 diameter, and I cast the bullets soft of 1:25 tin/lead. Bullet weighs 173 grains.  Load is 12 grs. of #2400. Photo shows mold before the GC heel was bored out. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

redball 2 posted this 26 April 2010

I would think that  311284 cast of 20 to 1 tin and lead loaded to 1150 fs will kill any deer that you can hit in the chest. the standard 32-40 killed a lot of deer with a lead bullet. 165 grs at about  13 or 14 hundred fs. the heavier 311284 will make a much deeper hole.

after all how fast are the shotgun slugs traveling when they hit? they have killed at 100 yds for me.

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 April 2010

I don't see the point for a subsonic 30-30 type of bullets. If you live in the city and want to hunt maybe, if it is legal.

I use my RD 30 caliber bullet in my Marlin 336 rifles, but I also working on getting a mold like Ed mentioned for my .308 Win and 30-06 rifles.

I believe that you have to be humane to the game and a subsonic load may not be realistic to me to take deer.

Jerry

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 April 2010

Agree. With the subsonic .30s shot placement is critical. A .45 ACP rifle with soft lead 250-gr. bullet having a huge cavity like the old Speer flying ashtray, at about 1000 f.p.s. is almost ideal as long as you keep the range short.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 27 April 2010

I don't know if I agree or disagree with the sub sonic load idea but I load plain base ww 165 gr with 11 grs of 2400 for my 30-30 thompson center pistol. Since it is a single shot I can change to a jacketed round for longer than 25 yd shots or shoot lead at short distances.

My average shot over the last 20 yrs or so has been about 50yds for deer.

For rifle hunting I slam them with a 308 winchester spitzer boat tail jacketed. Bear and deer run partially together in this part of PA. I don't think I want to chance shooting a 500 lb black bear with a sub-sonic cast bullet. That is not a typo they do run 500lbs in PA. I believe the record bear is over 700lbs.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Bob D

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 02 October 2010

The only reason I can think of  for a subsonic load for hunting would be with a suppressor (sp?).

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 October 2010

Ah-hah! The original question struck me as questionable, motive wise. Subsonic/suppressors/poachers/hitmen, what good reason is there to just barely kill a deer? A good sport will “use enough gun". Experiment on milk jugs, not game.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 October 2010

With long-barreled .45 ACP or .38 Special rifle 24 inches or more you don't need a suppressor.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 05 October 2010

Thanks Ed. That's good to know.  Now, where can I find one or have one made up.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 06 October 2010

marlin makes a model 94 in 357mag/38sp with a 24” bull barrel, with a hot 357 it aint much more then a 22

Attached Files

Close