Marlin 336BL

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 27 April 2010
Ranch Dog posted this 19 April 2010

I'm getting my one of my newest Marlin's ready for ranch use, just finished slugging the barrel and mounting the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. It has a very tight barrel; slug sent full length is .3081", and one just into the muzzle .3080"! No constriction to speak of. I will be using my TLC311-165-RF, the same bullet I use in my Glenfield 30 and 30GT, 336A, and 308MX plus my dad's M94. I will try bullets sized .309 and .310 to see what it likes best.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 20 April 2010

By no means am I trying to tell you what to do . But I sized all my 30-30 bullets in a .312” die . And with aircooled WW's they shot great !

Attached Files

That rifle looks kinda nice !

Now if they made it in a 444 I might just have to get one !

That would be great for my 400 grain molds !

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 20 April 2010

6pt-sika wrote: Now if they made it in a 444 I might just have to get one !    In that in has the forearm end cap, Jessie Ocumpaugh will recut it to the 444 Marlin (541) 942-1342.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 20 April 2010

6pt-sika wrote: Now if they made it in a 444 I might just have to get one !    In that in has the forearm end cap, Jessie Ocumpaugh will recut it to the 444 Marlin (541) 942-1342.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: Now if they made it in a 444 I might just have to get one !    In that in has the forearm end cap, Jessie Ocumpaugh will recut it to the 444 Marlin (541) 942-1342. Thats an idea and it just so happens there's a gunshow dealer not to far from me that has one NIB as we speak . This is the same guy I got my “444T” from . So I just might do a deal with him .

Attached Files

Well I sent the dealer close to me an email about the 336BL . While I was waiting I ran across a 2001 Marlin 444 on GB with a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope . I knew this dealer as well , having been in there shop quite a few times . So I called him on the phone . We struck up a fair price to us both , then I sold someone the Leupold and had a old beater 1893 Marlin I sold to another guy at the shop and these two sales covered the entire price of the gun including shipping !

So now I have a decent platform for my Mountain Molds 433-400GC bullet and my mutant version of your design the 432-400GC (if Al finds time to cut it and the 432-375GC for me) !

If this 2001 rifle shoots I plan on having a nicely figured monte carlo stock and forearm made as we just purchased a stock duplication machine . Also have another friend who has agreed to do a nice checkering job for me !

With the 400 grainers I'll most likely have a KickEezz recoil pad put o the new stock as well as some kind of tastefull grip cap . May even give seriouse thought to cutting the barrel to either 18 or 20 inches .

So anyway that has killed me buying a 336BL !

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 26 April 2010

Got up at 2:30 am to take a pee and get a drink of water. In the moon light I could see a good boar about 60 yards out in my yard enjoying himself. I slid out the door and popped him with the BL! He hit the brush. I walked out to look and he growled at me pretty good from the brush line so I backed off and waited for daylight to go look. He was about 7 yards from where I was standing.

Now, before you ask, there is not a problem killing hogs at night here in Texas. Hogs are a feral animal and can be taken any time. You can use lights and night vision equipment. Kind of a “smoke'm if you got'm” deal. About two years ago, hogs reached critical mass in Texas. More of them than deer which spells disaster for our whitetails. The TPWD is encouraging every effort to eliminate them (which will not happen).

The moon is providing 96% of it's available illumination so it is very bright out there. A pitch black hog against grass is very easy to see. Like I said, I saw him with my eyes from inside my house 60-yards out. This is specifically why I am so stuck on the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32, the optics are very, very good. I shoot a lot of hogs at night with a lot less illumination than what we have for the next few nights

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 April 2010

You need to send some of those hogs up here to the Pacific NW. The cougars are just eating the heck out of the calf and lamb crop. They need something else to feed on.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 26 April 2010

RicinYakima wrote: You need to send some of those hogs up here to the Pacific NW. The cougars are just eating the heck out of the calf and lamb crop. They need something else to feed on. That is actually what we practice here on my place. Starting this week we really start to pressure both hogs and coyotes as our does will drop their fawns on June 1. Throughout May and June we really concentrate on killing sows with piglets in tow. That makes easy pickings for the coyotes to keep their bellies full and relieves the pressure on fawn deer. They are full when the fawns hit the ground and piglets are a lot easier to find than a hidden fawn.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 April 2010

Ranch Dog wrote:

Now that looks like a decent sized one !

Congrats !

Attached Files

Close