Should I buy a Lyman 450?

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 24 November 2010
amb1935 posted this 27 April 2010

I have a chance to buy a Lyman 450 Lube Sizer for $50.  I need a luber/sizer, but I wanted to know if this was a good deal or not (not a lot of info on the web about them).  I know it is in used condition and is missing the little ratchet wrench.  Anyother advice is more than welcome.  Thanks all. -Aaron

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 27 April 2010

I had a Lyman 450 lube/sizer for many years and operated it with satisfaction. After I got my Star luber, I sold the Lyman. Then, later I realized it was nice to have one for rifle bullets. I now have the Star (do nearly ALL of my pistol bullets on this) and a Lyman (later version) as well as an RCBS luber/sizer.

Lyman 450's occasionally suffered a broken handle (cast iron) but they can be brazed and re-enforced. Otherwise they use the same dies as RCBS and all of the Lyman sizers (and top punches).

Most of the broken handle complaints came from those who water dropped bullets and waited too long before they sized the bullets (the bullets get MUCH harder after a few days).

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 27 April 2010

I have a Lyman 450 (old style - they made some changes in the handle after I bought mine) which I bought new in the early 70's. I was a serious Bullseye pistol competitor then, and used it lots until I was able to buy a used Star. After that I used it for anything I didn't have a Star die for (experimental loads, etc.) until I got too old to be really competitive at Bullseye pistol, and started getting more serious about CBA competition. I now use it for all my lube/sizing operations for CBA stuff. I've NEVER had any problems with it. I have heard other shooters complain about breaking parts of the linkage and having to have things brazed back together, but I have never tried to use mine for a bullet swage (politely referred to as “bumping the bullet") and I suspect that may well be the cause of lots of the brazed handles.

That's my nickel's worth.

Wes

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 April 2010

Hi Aaron

The Lyman 450 was my first lubrisizer, used, bought at my fellow shooter's auction 25 years ago. It still works well along with my other two used 450s. The dies are reasonably priced and I stocked up on a lot of mine years ago used from attending gunshows(but don't see many now says). I like them.

Unless you want to cast and shoot for pistol and shoot 5,000 rounds a month, I find the 450 plenty adequate..:cool: ...............Dan

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 27 April 2010

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and buy it. Seems like a good deal to me. Now to just get a hold of some dies and top punches.

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 28 April 2010

Hey Aaron

That is a great deal, get it and you won't be sorry. My personal favorite is a 450 that is almost 42 years old now. The other lube/sizers are good and the Star may produce a bit faster. Lyman 450 is a worker. The inventory I have on hand includes most of them. Just do yourself a favor and use a soft lube or a heater. There are several threads here that address some of the problems and fixes. Have some patience during your learning curve, all the systems have quirks you must adapt to. You will want to get a ratchet for the press, new ones are available. Beware of buying used dies and top punches unless you know the seller or you can hand examine them for any modifications.                                                 

There's a good reason for a ton of them still in service.         Help is a click away.

Roy  

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 April 2010

I had an RCBS luber sizer, then I bought my Star luber sizer. I never used the RCBS again.

Jerry

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 29 April 2010

"Lyman 450's occasionally suffered a broken handle (cast iron) but they can be brazed and re-enforced."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cast iron handled tool a Lyman #45 and not the #450? I have a Lyman #45 and it has the cast iron handle. I've converted it to push pre-lubed bullets nose first which then dropout the bottom into a basket. I also have a Lyman 450 (did have two but I sold one to a friend.) and also have the #4500.

One 450 had a hanlde that looked like a sbent out of shape slingshot which broke at the pivot and no amount of brazing would have fixed it. I got the upgraded handle and later when a friend needed on I sold to him at a fair price. I replaced it with another 450 and later got the 4500.

I'd say $50 was a fair price if it has the solid handle which looks like a .75” thick steel rod with a handle at one end. If it has the earlier type, you might as well spring for the handle upgrade because you will need it.

Paul B.

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 29 April 2010

I have a 450 I have no problem with it .I found after I got a heater for it .The heater is able to use for different lube/sizer . I found a lot easyer to get the lube move easter. The 450 I have is a steel rod . That is a good deal on the price.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 29 April 2010

My 450 has the handle upgrade and has no problems sizing or even bumping bullets a couple thousanths. Be sure and check the o-ring at the base of the lube resevoir. They tend to leak there.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 29 April 2010

Check out the special at Midway. They have a Lyman luber, electric pot, ladle and some other stuff for $139.

Attached Files

amb1935 posted this 29 April 2010

I got the 450 yesterday. I was really surprised by the condition of the thing. It is absolutely perfect for what I need. The gentleman who sold it to me said he picked it up some years ago as a back up but never ended up using it. I cleaned it with a little degreaser and now it looks wonderful. Ordered some dies yesterday, hopefully the will be here Monday and I will be sizing away.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 29 April 2010

Have a lyman and two rcbs. RCBS are decent machines

I got the Lyman as a gft,

It will not ruin much your bullets if you are clever enough to just lube without sizing..

Being all straight and  perfectly aligned is  a different thing.

Lube but not size is the name of the game.

That's why I love unsized tumble lubed bullets.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 30 April 2010

I feel more good this morning,if your price is sufficiently low,buy it,but lube without sizing.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 May 2010

I have and old Lyman 45 which is the predecessor of the 450 . While I don't use the 45 much anymore it's a good viable lubesizer .

I also have a pair of Lyman 4500's which are no more then “slightly” upgraded Lyman 450's .

They are all I ever use and or need !

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 19 June 2010

Just a tip from an old caster...

Buy it! The lyman & the RCBS will do things a Star or LEE setup won't do.

Like putting flatpoints on roundnose bullets. Why buy another mold when you can bump up castings from older designed molds for hunting.  Flat points can be put on a round nose cast bullet easier than making a peanut butter sandwich. Just call Veral Smith or Marshall Stanton about the effectiveness of flatpoint bullets. Heck, just ask anyone here who uses them to hunt with, like me!

Bumping up a boolit is just as easy...simple adjustments in the press make it real easy. Simple machining makes a die to fit for the diameter of the nose you may want. The machines are strong enough if you aren't a 900 pound gorilla.

My 450 has the upgraded linkage, it is just as strong as a RCBS and it is a mid 60's era with over 100m+bullets thru it. The upgrade from Lyman was $17.00 & change...with shipping it cost me $23.00 delivered. Super setup! The hot setup!!

$50.00 is a steal Pard...have at it!!!!

LeverBob

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 24 June 2010

LeverBob wrote: Just a tip from an old caster...

Like putting flatpoints on roundnose bullets. Why buy another mold when you can bump up castings from older designed molds for hunting.  Flat points can be put on a round nose cast bullet easier than making a peanut butter sandwich. Just call Veral Smith or Marshall Stanton about the effectiveness of flatpoint bullets. Heck, just ask anyone here who uses them to hunt with, like me!

Bumping up a boolit is just as easy...simple adjustments in the press make it real easy. Simple machining makes a die to fit for the diameter of the nose you may want. The machines are strong enough if you aren't a 900 pound gorilla.

My 450 has the upgraded linkage, it is just as strong as a RCBS and it is a mid 60's era with over 100m+bullets thru it. The upgrade from Lyman was $17.00 & change...with shipping it cost me $23.00 delivered. Super setup! The hot setup!!

LeverBob

I have had nothing but bad dealings with Lyman, they seem to think that there company is now so large that individuals cannot do  damage. So they just keep throwing crap at the consumer to increase the market share of there stock!!

Try buying a mold from them or anything else. Then tel me I am nuts.

Try comparing guarantees between  them and RCBS.  Try calling customer service, have your credit card ready, LOLAL!

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 24 June 2010

Changeling wrote: LeverBob wrote: Just a tip from an old caster...

LeverBob

I have had nothing but bad dealings with Lyman, they seem to think that there company is now so large that individuals cannot do  damage. So they just keep throwing crap at the consumer to increase the market share of there stock!!

Try buying a mold from them or anything else. Then tel me I am nuts.

Try comparing guarantees between  them and RCBS.  Try calling customer service, have your credit card ready, LOLAL!Hey Pard...if you don't like them, then don't buy from them. My family has been using Lyman products since the 1890's. My great grandfather, Edward Hagelin from Chicago bought his first loading tools from Roger Barlow. My father, Robert Carl Pearson from Chicago, bought his first tools from lyman & Pacific Co. in the 1930's at the suggestion of my great grandfather. I have shotshell loading tools from 1900 (my great grandfather Hagelin) that I still use. In fact, I own & use tools made by them that span that early date to today. I use Lyman 'M' dies in all my cast bullet loading. I use a Lyman Easy shotshell loader from the 70's in 20 ga. I still use my fathers' Lyman dies from the late 40's. I use Lyman sights (57's & 66's) on my rifles....all of them!The tools they make are as good as any other manufacturer out there IMHO (I've only been reloading & casting since 1953). Of course they are going to try to make a “bottom line in business"...they are a company (which suggests to me that you know nothing about business). For your edification...the great equalizer is how a market receives the product, they have to make a buck to stay in business. I would say IMHO that Lyman has shown great business sense & has survived...producing products that deliver the goods as adveritised. This is also why I use & support them & LEE. Why not try again & cut them a little slack.From your response you seem like a young person who hasn't developed an “older” patience. Mechanical things can be quite contrary, suggesting to me that you're not a person who is comfortable with mechanical things.Regarding your experience with their customer service...I must say that it is a suprise to me. I have had nothing but good experiences with any contact I have had with Lyman since 1958. They have been courtious & very helpful with the few problems I have encountered with their products. Like the handle & linkage upgrade on my 45 yr. old 450 lubrisizer. Works like a champ (as good as the RCBS).I only call them when I need something. I use a debit card (which is on my account with them as I don't use credit cards) to pay & have never & I mean NEVER had a problem with them, including over 50 molds that date from the 1800's to today.Best to you Pard...hope you you try them again.LverBobCorrection: It is John Barlow, not Roger. Also, I looked up my old receipt for my luber...it was purchased on Mar. 29, 1968...so it is 42 yrs. old. Heck, even old guys make mistakes....

Attached Files

chasw posted this 24 November 2010

Aaron: You can buy spare parts like the ratchet wrench direct from Lyman for very reasonable cost and quick turnaround. - CW

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 24 November 2010

And then possibly, White Label Lube?

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/>http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/ 

Last time I checked, lube was $2 per tube.  10 tubes, $20, that's a really good deal for lube in hollow sticks that just drops in the sizer.  It's good stuff, too.

With heat, I use Carnuba Red but, BAC without or 50/50 without heat would do about any bullet you'd want to shoot.

Hope that helps,

Ron I also have a pair of Lyman 4500's which are no more then “slightly” upgraded Lyman 450's .

They are all I ever use and or need !   Me too, Craig!  I have two of them, great bullet press for the price.

Attached Files

Close