5R rifling

• Last Post 30 December 2016
lotech posted this 17 December 2016

What are the real or perceived advantages of the 5R rifling process?  I thought I'd pose the question to those members who may have had actual experience, not only with cast bullets, but jacketed as well.

If I remember correctly, member Ed Harris used to mention barrel maker Boots Obermeyer's 5R barrels when Mr. Harris wrote technical articles for the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. Perhaps Ed Harris can add to any comments.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SierraHunter posted this 17 December 2016

The 5R rifling is supposed to be more gentle to bullets, since the sides of the lands are not 90°. I believe Remington uses 5R rifling in some of there barrels.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 December 2016

The side of the lands  SLOPE down toward grooves so maybe there is less chance of copper or lead fowling build up in this area.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 December 2016

One of our local match shooters was discussing this at our last match. He mentioned that no 2-grooves are opposed to each other, which is supposed to be advantageous.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SierraHunter
SierraHunter posted this 18 December 2016

I suppose that could be a good thing. I know some of the most accurate rifle I own are JES 3 groove barrels.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 30 December 2016

The Brits had is sorted with 5R rifling 130 years ago.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 December 2016

Jeff is correct.  The idea is not new, but it does work.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close