twist rate

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 15 July 2010
hepburn45110 posted this 01 July 2010

Do you think that 10” is too fast in a 30cal. cast bullet barrel ? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
cityboy posted this 01 July 2010

hepburn45110 wrote: Do you think that 10” is too fast in a 30cal. cast bullet barrel ? 

All of my 30 cal barrels (30-06 and 0-30) have a 10' twist. I see no problem. As a matter of fact a fast twist is good with a long bullet like the 311284 at reduced velocity. By this I mean 11.5 grains of  Unique in a 30-06 with the 311284. Measured Velocity is 1250 fps, and group size at 100 yards is under 1.0' for 5 shots.

Jim

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 02 July 2010

Barrel and bullet quality are important,all the other fuss about twists and models,and gun designs is rubbish they put in the gun magazines to separate pictures advertising the praises of junk.

One ,two ,three or more front lugs,or rear lugs are not worth much,the important thing is the quality of the work ,and the fitting of the bullets to the throat of the guns.

I enjoy reading the American Hunter, I read no more Gun Magazines.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 02 July 2010

the slower twists allow you to shoot faster with accuracy much easier. for instance i can easily shoot full jacketed speeds in both my 30-30's and in my 358 winchester as well as in my pistol caliber leverguns. my 308,30-06, 7x57's nope. strange that eh? there are loading techniques, and much trial and error,that will allow me to get the speed i want in those. but the slower twist rifles are much easier to gain speed with and keep the accuracy.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 02 July 2010

giorgio de galleani wrote: I enjoy reading the American Hunter, I read no more Gun Magazines.

I read the American Rifleman, Precision Shooting and The Fouling Shot. That is enough. I especiall like Precision Shooting because ot it's technical content.

Jim

Attached Files

hepburn45110 posted this 02 July 2010

thanks

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 July 2010

If you're buying your stuck with what you get and use what'll work in it. If you're building I'd probably go with a 12 or 14 twist myself.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 03 July 2010

If I remember correctly,my 308 mod 70 Win HB has a 1/10 twist and it outshoots a well worn Tikka 308 Biathlon rifle with a 1/11 twist.

I remember a Wolfe publishing magazine story about a BSA 308 win  match rifle with a 1/14 twist that would shoot only 7.62 Nato british 147 gr bullets anf cast bullets not longer than the Lyman 311041(173 grains) 

I have a slow twist 35 WHELEN and a slow twist 38-55 and they keyhole a little with 300 gr bullets,If I were in the US of A.I would rebarrel with faster twists,a thing made impossible under Italian gun control laws.

You can experiment with all the barrel you like,and at affordable prices,we do not have the second amendment. 

This is my 35 Whe in its boar hunting costume. 

Attached Files

This morning I admit to be a show off.

Look at my woods hunting sights.

Attached Files

Unrepented sinner

Attached Files

Two more ,nearly three months  to wait for boar season.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 July 2010

Buffalo, I looked and looked and don't see any pigs in those pictures. Before and after? My CZ 550 FS has a 20.5” 12” twist barrel and a full length stock, it shoots everything pretty good, and some things really good. I also have a H&R single shot .308 with a 12” twist and micro groove rifling, it also handles about anything pretty good. The slower twist allows me to shoot longer/heavier bullets faster than I could with a 10".

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 July 2010

The hot ticket for jacketed score shooters a ways back was a 14 twist with 168 Match Kings. Might not be the ticket for 600 yd shooting but how many people are shooting cast bullets at 600 yds. Any twist can be made to work and made to work well but given my druthers I'd take a 12 over a 10 anyday.

Attached Files

mugs posted this 03 July 2010

I've got a 13” 14 twist barrel on a XP that shoots the RCBS 30-200 silhouette ok. Mugs IHMSA 5940L

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 04 July 2010

Have shot some 12 twist and some 10 twist.  Can't see a difference even with 220gr 30 cal. bullets.  Am now trying a 16” to 11.5” gain twist.  So far so good.

JB

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 July 2010

If the barrel and bullets are good the twist within reason doesn't matter. Of course heavy bullets won't shoot as well in a very slow twist, but common 150-200 grain blunt, flatbased cast bullets do fine in anything from an 8' twist to a 14". You have to drive the heavier bullets faster in the slow twist to stabilize them, and the slower twists are better for subsonic “cat sneeze” loads.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close