.500 smith & Wesson

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 16 October 2011
bthomasb1 posted this 07 July 2010

Hello,Im new on this site and wanted to say hello,and ask if anyone on here is casting bullets to use in a 500 smith what your using and what kind of results are you getting,thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jseaman posted this 09 December 2010

I too have a .500 S&W 4" and will be casting for it.  I am a new member also and am just getting started.  A friend of mine has been sending me some 400 gr. “Keith” style bullets cast out of wheel weights.  I'll get the mould info for you if your interested. 

I have not used them on game as of yet.  I have been loading them in Starline brass with 22 grains of HS-6 which is considered a Mid-range load.  I have found them to be very accurrate out of my gun.  Hope to get a rifle chambered in .500 next year.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 09 December 2010

I have the 8 3/8” (?) S&W 500 mag use Starline brass , Lee 440gr. cast pretty hard , CCI 200 primers, IMR 4227 34grs. w/oal 2.025” and a hard crimp. Got the recipe from Hodgdons online reloading page. For a beginning load its pretty stiff but shoots good ! 25 yds offhand blasting will group 2” . You do have to talk to yourself to keep steady as you know as soon as trigger is pulled the muzzle is going skyward ! lol lol lol !!! I really like it , a real hoot !

Attached Files

rwsem posted this 14 January 2011

If you're really adventurous: a 370 gr. Oregon Trail (True Shot) WN FP GC over 44.5 gr of H110 heavily crimped will yield 2330 fps from a 10” cannon like this:

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 January 2011

Nice!

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 14 January 2011

I am just starting to load for my H&R Handi-rifle in 500S&W. I've fired the gun 4 times, about 80 rounds so far. I'm shooting a Lee 440gr bullet cast hard & water dropped, with a 1/32” poly wad over 50 grs vol of Hogdon's Triple 7, FFg grade. I don't use a gas check. The bullets are lubed with Lars Carnauba Red and seated to the lower crimp groove.

Despite the rather crude factory sights I've gotten some groups of less than 1” at fifty yards. I have just replaced the factory sights with a Williams Foolproof receiver sight and a Lyman #77 front globe sight.

The black powder substitute is fun to shoot and cleans up easily.

Jack

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 14 January 2011

those 500 are something but im holden out for a s&w 460mag myself i just like the option of the rounds better plus i already got two .45 moulds.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 January 2011

Nice pictures. I have thought about getting the .500 accessory barrel for my H&R, it already wears 6 hats, from Hornet to 45-70. Most recent addition was a .444 barrel. The recoil at the bench is noticeable, I don't know how much more I'd want in such a light gun. But there is something about that .50 mark that is appealing. Maybe I'll just hold out for a 50-70 Trapdoor, then I can shoot it in CBA matches too. I really like Jack's ideas for setting up and loading his with bp or substitute, will try that with my .444. Does H&R offer a .460 barrel yet? Might be a real versatile number.

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 06 March 2011

The all seem to live here.

www.northeastshooters.com

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 06 March 2011

They all seem to live here.

www.northeastshooters.com

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 October 2011

I cast for the .500 S&W and use it for hunting deer. The firearm is a NEF Handi-Rifle SB2. I use a very light bullet to get a flat trajectory, high velocity combination. The bullet is the Lee R.E.A.L. 250 grain Muzzle Loading bullet and I cast it in BHN 14 alloy from COWW:Lino at 7:3, then size the bullet to .501"

My load. Small typo above, roll crimp is from a Lee seating die in a separate step.

Attached Files

Close