Remington #2 in 32 Ballard Extra Long Centerfire target

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 August 2010
RicinYakima posted this 06 August 2010

Here is a picture of the first 50 yard target with load data. One and three eights inchs, about the best I can do with open sights and old eyes.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 06 August 2010

1&3/8ths isn't bad at all.  Want to show off the cartridge as it's loaded?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 August 2010

OK, here it is with a bullet from the modified mould. I removed the gas check band and opened it up to be 0.315 when made with my standard WW's + 2% tin alloy. Having a crimp groove is important to me so that I can load these in a Marlin 32/20 lever gun magazine. The #3118 doesn't have a crimp groove and the bullets can get pushed back into the case. My 1889 Safety model is very picky about OAL of cartridges.

After the bullet is seated, I push the case into a Redding Profile Crimp die just enough to reduce the diameter of the case the length of the driving band above the grease groove. If you look closely at the picture and compare it to the bullet you can see that, barely.

Ric

Attached Files

docbob posted this 07 August 2010

Ric, That's a good looking bullet. I've shot some unaltered in my .32wcf Winchester high wall. What does it weigh and is that resized .32-20 brass?

Doc

Attached Files

Ric, That's a good looking bullet. I've shot some unaltered in my .32wcf Winchester high wall. What does it weigh and is that resized .32-20 brass?

Doc

Attached Files

Doc,

I shoot the unaltered '316 in the 32/20 when the loads are over 1250 f/s. That mould made small bullets (0.310") so it got worked on, then lapped for front driving band 0.313". It weights 116 grains from the mould.

Nope it is 32 H&R Magnum brass. The closest thing to that I could find in the old cartrigdes is the Ballard 32 Extra Long, but it is a heel seated bullet. The EL case is 0.016” longer, and a tad small in diameter. The EL case could be made from 327 Federal with some work.

Ric

Attached Files

Thanks for the reply, Ric. Mild target loads are enjoyable to shoot and it's all about accuracy, isn't it. I tried the 16 grains of 2400 behind the old Lyman 311414 gc in the 7.62x54R in my FinnM39 today and it really shot good without a lot of noise or recoil.

Doc 

Attached Files

Thanks for the reply, Ric. Mild target loads are enjoyable to shoot and it's all about accuracy, isn't it. I tried the 16 grains of 2400 behind the old Lyman 311414 gc in the 7.62x54R in my FinnM39 today and it really shot good without a lot of noise or recoil.

Doc 

Attached Files

Doc,

In my opinion, if you can't hit it, the noise doesn't do much. I have a 358 Norma Magnum with a case full of H4831 and 250 grain bullet with about 4300 foot pounds of energy in an 8 pound Springfield. I can't hit much after the first shot, but then I'm a wimp.

Ric

Attached Files

docbob posted this 08 August 2010

Ric, Back in the sixties a friend wanted me to sight in his model 70 in .264 mag that had a steel butt plate. After a few shots I knew why he wanted me to sight it in! I recently aquired another rifle that shoots .264 bullets.....a beautiful little Swede....no not a blonde, she's a Model 96 in 6.5x55, built in 1904. From what I've read, these rifles are very accurate and a joy to shoot. Now I've got to find some brass and dies and find out what all the accolades are about. Doc

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 08 August 2010

:coffee     Thank you for the view, Ric.  I've been reading right along on the conversation.  It's comparable to a Fouling Shot article here.  No use being shy when you're doing something interesting, ya know.

Thanks again,

Ron

Attached Files

Close