TC 54 Hawken load ?

• 5.8K Views
  • Last Post 24 September 2010
DAMRON G posted this 08 September 2010

Going to hunt this year with B-Powder.Haven't done much with black .It is a .54 TC 1-48 twist.Maxi or RB?,what granulation and brand? George

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jhrosier posted this 08 September 2010

The maxi will probably shoot better but they are a PITA to load. I would try a RB and see how it works for you.

Jack

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 September 2010

When I used a .54 for hunting I used 100 grs. of 3Fg with a roundball or 80 grs. of 3Fg with Maxi. Burns cleaner than 2Fg. 80 grs. of Pyrodex P with either round ball or Maxi / Minie' bullet is also good.

George,  I got a couple .54 moulds including a .540 roundball to load Hessian-Jaeger style with lead hammer and short starter if you want to try it, 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 08 September 2010

Deer? RB will be sufficient, unless you contemplate longer type shots. The 1/48 is slow enough for a patched round ball, just not ideal. I use 2f in my .54 TC White Mountain Carbine. Try a few different charges, from 70 on up and check groups. Last deer I shot with a rb it nicked the heart and stopped under the hide on the far side. It was a very big deer. I'm sure Ed is right about the 3f burning cleaner, I just don't use it in anything over .45, habit mostly.  Edit; I use Goex, because I got a couple cases. It's the standard bp, priced fair. The serious match shooters prefer to pay a lot more and use Swiss. BP is usually hard to find locally. If you order a case of 25 .lbs they'll ship it to your door and you'll be set for a long time. BP has a very very long shelf life if stored decent.

Attached Files

curator posted this 08 September 2010

Ed Harris' suggestion about using a round ball without patch is actually a good one. I have a T/C New Englander .54 with a 1 in 48 twist. It shoots very accurately out to 75 yards with 80 grains of Goex and a .56 caliber round ball loaded naked (no patch or lube) with a short starter and a heavy rubber mallot.

Attached Files

"George,  I got a couple .54 moulds including a .540 roundball to load Hessian-Jaeger style with lead hammer and short starter if you want to try it, 8-)"

Would love to,thanks!

George

Attached Files

thanks all for the info.round ball it is then.

george

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 09 September 2010

I'm stickin' with my RB recomendation, but if you want something else to play with try the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet. The molds are cheap. Work great in my .50s. The .50 is 250 gr.. Easy to make(pure lead), easy to load, should work well with your 1/48 twist. Accurate, and more downrange wallop for bears and mooses. I wonder if George will get the BP bug? Or is it too late?

Attached Files

corerf posted this 09 September 2010

I sure as hell have it.

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 15 September 2010

I did some chronographing out of my 54 with both 3f and 2f. Cleaner burn may result with 3f but 2f had about half the shot to shot variation. But 3 f wil also give more zip. Takes about 120 grains of 2f to match 100 grains of 3f. Intersting though was that in my 25 squirrel rifle, Grafs 3f was easier to load shot to shot without cleaning than GOEX. I am kind of leaning more to that brand for some uses. If you can get it Swiss 2f is wonderful in a 54 and roundball. My 54 is only good for roundball with tis rifling style and twist so I do not comment on any of the “bullets".

Mnshooter.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 15 September 2010

My friend, Keith, in AL shoots 70gr 2Fg for a deer load with a RB. 75 yards, it works just fine. RB's don't have to leave at warp speed to do the job.
That said I am babysitting a Lyman GPR .54 right now and the owner burns 110gr volume Pyrodex in it for all game.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Maven posted this 15 September 2010

George, Here is some data that Sam Fadala included in his 1982 “Black Powder Loaeding Manual” (DBI Books) for the .54 cal. T/C Renegade.  Your bbl. is 2” longer than the Renegade, but I don't think it will materially change the data.  Fadala used Goex (then GOI) FFg with a commercially produced.530” RB + .015"- .016” pillow ticking patch:

70 gr. FFg -> 1,538 fps (at the muzzle)

90 gr. FFg -> 1,579 fps  (80 gr. charge not included)

100gr. FFg ->1,648fps

120gr. FFg -> 1,748fps 

Using a 400gr. commercially cast Maxi-Ball, (no patch) Fadala found:

80 gr. FFg -> 1,219 fps (at the muzzle)

100gr. FFg ->1,375 fps

120gr. FFg -> 1,499 fps

Btw, 120gr. charges of Pyrodex RS (by volume) produced significantly less velocity with both the round ball and Maxi-Ball.  Hope this data will prove useful to you!

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 15 September 2010

thanks for the data maven

george

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 16 September 2010

So looking at Maven's data I ask this. Is it worth burning almost twice as much powder for 200fps from the RB? Certainly 120gr will be a lot less pleasant to shoot and the recipient will be none the wisher. Of course, I am tight with powder. LOL.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 16 September 2010

Jeff-

Looking at data it does seem you get a very little for burning much more black.I'm a cheap bast**d so i will probably go light.All i wanted to do is murder the bucks by my cabin that's around early during the black-powder season.Now the muzzle loaders are looking interesting.i,d like a .40 or .45 some day for general offhand work.

george

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 17 September 2010

HIGHLY recommend .40cal for offhand work. Cheap to run. Shoot tight groups. I have a cap and a flint. Love them.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

corerf posted this 17 September 2010

Hey George, I take BP doses like this:

If your a drag racer, is there a limit to the amount of fuel you will burn to decrease your eta? Of course not. If your a tweaker, then tweak the snot out of it. I am a tweaker (not the meth type) and so for the amount of shooting I do, which is far less than any other CBA member still alive, I will burn the BP. BUT>>>>>>>

I don't think 200 fps will change the killing effect at close range so be a tightwad. If your gonna shoot 150+ with a round ball, waste the powder! Your trajectory and energy will need all you can give it. Let your assumed distance be the judge of who hard you push. I know my 54 will kill what it hits with just about any load at 75 yds and less.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 17 September 2010

corerf, George, Jeff, Sam Fadala frequently mentioned diminishing returns with BP loads and flatly stated that 100 - 200 fps isn't going to make a huge difference in killing power.  It will, however, make a sizable dent in your BP budget.  75 - 80 grs. FFFg (Goex, Wano/Graf's) or 90 grs. (maybe 100 grs.) FFg. with a .54 cal. (.530") RB or Maxi-Ball should be powerful enough.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 18 September 2010

'I know my 54 will kill what it hits with just about any load at 75 yds and less."

i hunted with guy who shot many feral hogs with his 54 flint and RB.Always killed em fast to about 75 yards.My hunting will be under 100 yards in my little canyon by the cabin.

g

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 18 September 2010

You also have an accuracy issue when you start burning havier charges of powder. Keep in mind that longer ranges also require more accuracy. Find out where it shoots at longer range with a reasonable powder charge if you need to shoot farther. Generally a 75 yard sight in will work for most ranges. I used about 90 grains of 2f in my 54 which gave the best balance for me. A 54 cal hole is pretty impressive.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

oldhoss posted this 19 September 2010

I shoot a TC Renegade that I built from a kit about 20 - 25 years ago. The load that I have used for years is 90 grains of GOEX FFG over a .529 patched round ball. It has shot through every deer, although they were all shot at less than 100 yards. I tried heavier loads but settled on 90 grains because it was accurate and powerful enough. I ran into fouling problems with the heavier loads too.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 19 September 2010

oldhoss wrote: I shoot a TC Renegade that I built from a kit about 20 - 25 years ago. The load that I have used for years is 90 grains of GOEX FFG over a .529 patched round ball. It has shot through every deer, although they were all shot at less than 100 yards. I tried heavier loads but settled on 90 grains because it was accurate and powerful enough. I ran into fouling problems with the heavier loads too. It seems i am hearing too much powder gives you no gains.A buddy claimed it is the 1-48 twist that limits higher velocity accuracy with R-balls.i dont know if its true and if it was I wouldn't want to spend another $200 for a 1-66 barrel.

Do you prefer black to the substitute powders?

George

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 20 September 2010

Yes, I prefer not shooting to using a substitute for BP. LOL.'

1 - 48 barrels in large calibers are reputed have a narrow band of accuracy. I wouldn't rush out and buy a barrel until you have wrung yours out.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

oldhoss posted this 20 September 2010

I prefer to shoot real black powder. Can't really give you a reason why. The only substitute powder I have tried was the old loose Pyrodex/ It does shoot cleaner than black but was hard to get good ignition in a flintlock. I have a couple of 1-66 twist barrels and you can load heavier and get good accuracy, but more powder means more fouling. I like to be able to reload without wiping or cleaning when I am hunting.

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 22 September 2010

DAMRON G wrote: Going to hunt this year with B-Powder.Haven't done much with black .It is a .54 TC 1-48 twist.Maxi or RB?,what granulation and brand?

George

George - 48” was a standard round ball twist in the 1700's and 1800's. Today, many round ball barrels have much slower twists than those of the past and have rifling .010” to .012” deep. some rifle even more deply with rounded bottom grooves.  For accurate and stable slug twists, refer to Greenwell's formula.

Maxiballs can be accurate as can other short bullets, especially in a .54 cal, however - the maxi is a very poor bullet shape and tends to collaps into itself instead of expand.  This is due to the very wide, deep grease grooves.  Any short, flat  bullet would be much preferred to a pointed or rounded nosed bullet. 

We found maxiballs in .50 and .54 cal to be wounders of moose - virtually useless for kiling them - when we switched to round balls, it took only one and the moose was dead - within 50 yards.  The mazi's turned upon hitting them and sometimes would make almost a U turn if striking a big rib or other bone - they are horrid projectiles and should be outlawed for hunting heavy game. In this context, deer are not heavy game, btw,and maxi's seemt to kill them OK- but not remotely as well as round balls, with their much higher veloctiy.

The shallow rlfing of the TC's is due to the buttoning method of rifling them.  It is the cheapest way of producing a barrel and shallow isn't the best form for shooting round balls, but - it will work.  We've done very good work with them and round balls on deer, moose and elk.  A .54 should use around 90 to 110gr. 2f for hunting - no less.  With a tight ball and patch combination, 2F will be more accurate than 3F and actually foul less.  This is due to the reduced pressure of the 2f in comparrison to 3f.  3F, requires an even tighter ball and patch combination than 2F due to the higher pressure - at any equal velocity.

The crown of your rifle needs to be smoothed to allow a suitable ball and patch combination that will shoot cleanly and deliver the best accuracy.  You should NOT have to wipe the bore at any time while shooting - as a good ball and patch combination cleans the last shot as you load - therefore, there is NEVER any buildup of fouling & only the previous shot's fouling present. Whether we're shooting mink oil, marmot oil, neetsfoot oil or bear oil for hunting or whether we're using a windhieldwasher fluid with oil for target work, we never have to wipe the bore - for as many as 100 shots (on the same day).  With a nicely radiused crown, this tight combination is easily loaded using a shot starter and the rifle's rod.  If the crown is too sharp, it will raise a ring of lead and cause tough loading and cut patches.  A ball .530” should be used with a .020” denim or ticking patch, and .018” used with a .535” ball in those TC barrels. These combinations are accurate.

Good luck.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 22 September 2010

George drop by and i will give you your bench block i made for you and you can borrow my 54 cal moulds or if you want i have balls,maxi balls and minnie balls ready to shoot. joe aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 24 September 2010

thanks for the detailed info dayrl.When i as in my 20's i had good feral hog hunting and the neighboors 54 with roundballs knocked them down hard.Your experiance seems to reflect what i remember.What denim material do you use? Old pants or fabric store stuff clean and washed? Any paticular lube better than another?

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 24 September 2010

argie1891 wrote: George drop by and i will give you your bench block i made for you and you can borrow my 54 cal moulds or if you want i have balls,maxi balls and minnie balls ready to shoot. joe aka argie1891will do.I have a nice Cadet mold you can borrow also.

g

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 24 September 2010

george i was thinking about putting a nice 457122 hollow point and a 225438 hp on e-bay. joe....

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 24 September 2010

DAMRON G wrote: thanks for the detailed info dayrl.When i as in my 20's i had good feral hog hunting and the neighboors 54 with roundballs knocked them down hard.Your experiance seems to reflect what i remember.What denim material do you use? Old pants or fabric store stuff clean and washed? Any paticular lube better than another?

George

I've used the backs of the legs from old jeans, but prefer to purchase my patch material by the yard or meter.  Worn clothing is not as strong as new material.  Mattress ticking also makes good patches for many rifles (most of mine) in .0215” thickness.  I take either calipers or a mic with me to the store and after acertaining the material is 100% cotton, I measure or mic it.  The mic is given a good swirl with the ratchet brrrrrrrrt and read.  It gives readings from .0015 to .003” smaller than my 3 sets of calipers. The caliper measurements vary due to differences in the width of the jaws on each set.  With calipers, I pinch the jaws togther over the material with my thumb and forefinger and read the dial while pinching the material, just as it would be compressed in a bore. I look for a reading of .020” to .022” with the mic and .0225” to .025” for the calipers.  The material should be washed before shooting to remove the sizing - I run a regular wash with the new material, then run it through the complete cycle without soap.  Washign softens the fabric and shrinks it to a tighter weave, increasing it's strength. Most materials will lose a thou. or 2 when washed., but some cotton weaves that shrink a lot might gain thickness even though losing the sizing. My ticking did just that, increasing from .0205” to .0215".

Ball size - we use balls that are .005” smaller than the bore in rifles for the most accurate shooting. In my .40 target rifle, I use a ball that is .002” larger than the bore, with a .019” patch.  It loads easily with a 3/8” hickory rod.  It's all in the muzzle. No - the muzzles of my rifles are not coned - I do not believe in coning as it opened groups both times I tested it in 2 very accurate rifles, a .45 and the .40 match rifle.  It would be OK for a purely hunting rifle, although I will never do it again - I prefer guilt edge accuracy, on the range and when hunting. Coning more than doubled group sizes. if coning improves accuracy, it must have been pretty dismal before, is all I can say. One of the guys I shoot with often, has a coned .40 and he cannot easily load the larger ball and patch in it, that I use in my rifle, even though the combination is .002” looser in his bore. Mine is undersized by that amount.  The reason might be as simple as a long taper produces more friction, than-does the short 'drawing taper' I put on my muzzles. This is simply a polished machine cut to remove the corners.  This type of crown allows very tight combinations that do not cut the patch.  I have shot normal groups of 5 shots, retrieving the 1st patch, re-lubing it and using it for each of the 5 shots, just to prove the material and thickness is good.  I've come to the conclusion that if the patch is not totally reusable, the material or thickness is wrong. Patches with any burns or cuts are not suitable - or - the crown needs work.  Most people err on using too-thin a patch.

Back to balls - for hunting, I suppose a person could use a ball that is .010” small than the bore for slightly easier loading maybe - we see no real difference in loading with our loading techniques and lubes when using the larger .005"/under ball.  That means a .495” ball in a .50, .445” in a .45 and a .535” in a .50.

Some factory guns have very shallow button'd rlfing that is less suited for shooting patched round balls than are the more deeply machined, cut rifle grooves. We have had good accuracy in button'd barrels with round balls if using a ball .010” smaller, ie: .490", .440” and .530” when using a thick denim patch of .022". 

Some makes of denim list it by weight.  If your store lists it this way, get the 10 oz. weight.  I use this too and it usually runs .022” to .0225” with the mic, and thicker yet with calipers. It is very accurate in all my rifles as well as other's rifles we've tested it in. Linen, if it can be found thick enough, makes a superior patch material.  It is also very expensive. I have heard of people using .010” to .012” patches - we won't even use those for cleaning as they are too thin for that job as well. Flannel is the best material for cleaning paches. Bady diapers used to be the best but are hard to find now a days.  A thin patch does not seal the gasses behind the ball, and a thin patch does not hold enough lube to keep the fouing soft.

The Crown, The Crown!

We've found over the years that no factory gun has a suitable muzzle crown - as received. Most all of them have a machine cut angle from wider than the groove depth to the tops of the lands.  This leaves 2 sharp angles at the top of the cut to the bottom of the grooves and at the tops of the lands. This sharpness cuts patches and makes the lead ring up when attempting to seat a thich patch with the ball.  Rounding this angle vastly improves loading and helps the patch and ball swage or draw into the bore much more easily and without damage to the ball.  Emery and your thumb will do wonders for the crown and it takes only a few minutes to do well. Rotating your thumb and rotating the barrel periodically keeps the crown perfectly concentric with the bore's axis.

Patches - why do we use thick patches - well - thicker than what most use.  Thicker patches hold more lube - more lube softens fouling making loading easier. Soft fouling also maintains an exact, consistant condtition in the bore making for improved accuracy and eliminating the need for frequent wiping.  Fouling does not build up shot to shot. Loading is exactly the same all day long as there is never more than one shot's fouling in the bore & that is easily wiped down by the ball and patch as you load the next one.

To load a tight combination, one must use a short starter.  There is no repeated hammering or need of a mallet as some describe their loading attempts. 

Lubes - for hunting, we use Mink Oil as sold by Trackofthewolf, or Neetsfoot Oil, or Marmont Oil, or Bear's Oil/Grease.  For target work, we simply use a spit patch, or a combination of a few ounces of an oil, mixed into winter windshielf washer fluid. Note that patches must be wet - ie: saturated with lube. No, it will not destroy the powder charge. Licking a patch is not using spit for lube, just as a dab of grease or oil does not constitute a lubed patch.  The patch must be wet- ie: saturated.  In very large bores, I've used a card wad or extra patch between the grease patch and the powder, when hunting.  The .62 and .69 cal rifles do not seem to be negatively effected by the additional patch or wad, however all of my smaller bores are effected by the extra wad or patch - negatively as to accuracy. I do not use a 'wad' in them and the powder seems just fine.

Hope this helps - if not, let me know what's up and we'll try to sort out any problems.

Edited for clarity and spelling/typos

Daryl

Attached Files

Close