Pacific "C" press--head size specific?

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 14 August 2011
Pete Voss posted this 20 September 2010

I picked up an older Pacific C-press the other day--in fine shape but didn't notice until I got home that there is no provision for interchangeable shellholders. The ram is machined for 308 size heads so it's still useful for light duty in several calibers that I load, but I really had in mind using it for the 32-20 or maybe .222-.223 so I guess that is out of the question. Did they ever make available extra rams for different case head sizes in past years? It would be simple enough to change rams.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
lkydvl posted this 20 September 2010

I might have a couple lying around in my acquisitions stash. I'll look for them and get back to you.

Andrè

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 September 2010

Yep, you can switch rams, as they were designed to do, or you can buy a universial ram from C&H/4D company.

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 22 September 2010

Thanks, Ric--universal ram on the way from C&H/4D. Starline 32-20 brass is scarce right now--I have some on B.

Thanks, Ric--universal ram on the way from C&H/4D. Starline 32-20 brass is scarce right now--I have some on B.O. from Midway. Was able to find nickle plated brass at Graf's.

o

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 25 September 2010

How much was that universal Ram ? I Have one of those old C-Presses with a 38 special ram, that I should get a ram for. That is unless some one here would like to buy it or trade it away from me. I was going to make a swaging press out it, decided against doing any swaging at this time, I barely have time to get the casting I want done finished.

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 25 September 2010

Steel--the ram from CH/4D was $22 something. Almost what I paid for the press, so my “deal” doesn't look so good now, but the pretty blue-gray color looks nice next to RCBS green. Guess I need some Hornady or Lee red to complete the picture. Pete

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 26 September 2010

I got this press I have in a lot from a estate sale, so I guess I paid about that much too. I guess $22 aint that bad, although it does have a rather short stroke and no compound linkage. Maybe better as a door stop.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 26 September 2010

A press like that should do fine with the Lee push through bullet sizer die.  Duane

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 27 September 2010

Received the universal ram today and installed it--when I tried several shellholders in the ram they all were a rather loose fit. It was then that I figured out what the clip was for that was enclosed with the ram. It's kind of in the shape of a “G” fits in a groove at the head of the ram and holds the shellholders in place. Now I'm ready to load for the 32-20 as soon as I receive my dies, brass, and bullets.

Attached Files

Steel 13 posted this 28 September 2010

Glad your happy with the press:shock: Pete, Ya want another for parts? $25 shipped to your door.

Attached Files

Pete Voss posted this 28 September 2010

No thanks, Steel--I'm not a big volume reloader. I have two Rockchuckers, one of which is set up with the RCBS Piggyback conversion for my 38-357 loading and the other in which I installed the Hornady quick change bushing for my 308, '06, and 303 Brit. loading. Love the convenience of the Hornady bushing setup. Just wanted an extra press for the 32-20 and maybe 222 Rem.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 14 August 2011

I started reloading in 1959 with a Pacific Super C that used the solid caliber specific rams. When the snap in shell holders became standard, Pacific switched to a ram that used them. You could also buy this part to retro-fit the older presses.

Two years ago in a fit of nostalgia, I bought a black Pacific Super C on Ebay for 25 bucks including shipping. It came with the ram that used the snap in shell holders. It was cheap, because it had no handle.

I turned a handle out of a length of shot out 1917 Enfield barrel. BTW, the handles from the Redding turret presses fit and work just fine on the Pacific C. But,I like a handle with rifling in the middle. :-)

Attached Files

Close