Plain-Base Bullet and Gas Checks

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 31 December 2010
Southern Shooter posted this 30 September 2010

Can some type of gas check be used on plain-base bullets?

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 30 September 2010

Southern Shooter;  As far as I know there is not any type of gas check that can be used on a plain base bullet.  It would have to go around the base and then be sized to the appropiate diameter squishing down the bullet along with it.  You could however use some sort of wad- paper, cardboard, pvc, etc.

Maybe somebody with more info than I have knows of something.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

gregg posted this 30 September 2010

Paco Kelly use to make a gas check maker that would???

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 02 October 2010

A friend has put  gc's behind plain base 44 mag bullets upside down with success and shot them at higher velocity.

George

Attached Files

Reloader28 posted this 27 October 2010

Howdy, first time posting on this frorum but am a member of a couple others.

Actually there is a guy on a different forum making plain base gas check makers. I aint tried one yet, but have heard nothing but good reveiws. I'd like to get the 35 cal maker for 357/9mm

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 October 2010

Like George, I have loaded them cup-down behind plainbased bullets with some success. Best with a load which is only marginally too fast for a plainbase, say up to 1600-1700 f.p.s. Works best in straight cases or those with a long neck so that the GC does not fall off into the powder space. “Sticking” the cup-down GC to the base of the bullet with a grease cookie or LLA helps too.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 27 October 2010

Two words for you. Poly wad.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Reloader28 posted this 27 October 2010

Jeff, how do you do that? Is it glued to the base.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 27 October 2010

Nope. Just sitting over the powder, under the bullet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

32ideal posted this 27 October 2010

Check out this website the P-Wads and cutters are really very good. So is the QuickLoad software.

http://www.neconos.com/category/Reloading-Aids-16>http://www.neconos.com/category/Reloading-Aids-16 

I've used the P-Wads for years in some PB loads to improve accuracy, also used Grex as a filler in some loads for the same reason.

Now I cut my wads from plastic milk cartons, they are good for a couple hundred FPS more with soft plain base bullets, but the ability to close up groups is more important, why they do not work with all loads?????

Have fun and make sure the wads are a tight fit in the neck of your case and not fall down on the powder,

32ideal

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 31 December 2010

Pat Marlin over at the CastBoolits forum makes and sells tools for making gas checks for a number of calibers with plain base bullets. I have one on order that will be used for plain base,  the 340 grain flat nose .457 from Lee. The tool will use copper or aluminum in specific thicknesses to cut and form the checks. I will be using the Lee push through bullet sizing die to size and seat the gas checks on my bullets. My Bullets cast at .460 And I will size and gas check with my die that has been modified to size at .458” for my rifle. My rifle is a .458 Win Mag Colt Sauer Grand African and the bore slugged out at .4570"

That same bullet without gas check has an accuracy peak at 1610 fps with H4895 and BPI original filler. Soon, with a gas check, I am hoping to get a load with an accuracy peak near 2000 fps and no filler. The un-sized plain base bullet groups .680” @ 50 yd., But with higher charges, the groups open right up.

Gary

Attached Files

Close