Embarrasing mistake: no injuries thank God

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 24 December 2010
biddulph posted this 21 October 2010

Loaded up some rounds for my Weatherby 224. Weighed out 23 gr AR 2207 with 63 gr bullets. Data from Lyman, with powder equivilent from ADI (Australia). Scales from Lee.

First shot blew out the primer, blew off the magazine plate, bolt needed to be levered up when rifle was taken home.

Bullets pullled and powder weighed on different scales. Instead of 23 grains the charges weighted 30 grains.

I checked the scales: hadn't adjusted them since the above. Still set on 23 grains. If the ball bearing on this set of scales had been in the wrong spot (as those with the Lee scales will know) then charges would have weighed 33 grains.

This was extreamly embarrassing as my gun smith was the one who fired the shot. Luckily he held out the rifle at arms length for the first shot as is his practice and didn't get  hurt. This was my major concern.

I don't know how this happened. I've loaded thousands of rounds and never had an issue.

Any ideas? Scales appeared to be ok. I have an electronic set of scales comming and between now and when they arive I will weigh a 40gr bullet and see how close it is.

But wow man, that was really bad! I felt like a real idiot but had carefully weighed out a minimum charge. So I thought.

Cheers James: may we all learn from this.

PS rifle is ok, which says a lot for Weatherby's inherent over engineering. Classic pressure signs: brass flow into ejector etc.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 21 October 2010

For our northern cousins, AR2207 is H4198.

Isn't 2207 a tad quick for the .224 to begin with? I would have thought 2206H (H4895) a good bet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 21 October 2010

good example, jeff, for all of us that reload. i bought a small, very bright pen light to view my cases to insure no double loads and i find myself checking powder throw weights at various mid-points during loading in my progressive loader. cant be too carefull, because things can and will occure even when being vigilant. quite some time ago i purchased a 6.5 carcano. it had ben “sporterized", but was very light and pointed well. also bought some loose military rounds for short money from the same dealer. at the range, first shot was un-remarkable. second shot, the bolt seemed a bit different when i cycled it, but the case looked ok. 3rd shot sounded different, even with ear muffs on and the bolt had to be pounded open with a block of wood. case was split and the bolt had cracks along both locking lugs. further analysis seemed to indicate that the 6.5 military rounds were either necked down and reloaded 7.35 cartridges or higher pressure machine gun ammo. i have never bought loose, bulk ammo since and the fractured bolt is displayed in a prominate place on my reloading bench. i called the dealer and suggested that he pull the ammo off the shelves.

Attached Files

wdyasq posted this 21 October 2010

I was thinking today I should get a set of test weights. I may just find a .17 caliber bullet for my 'near 20 grain weight' and weigh a BB to check for very light charges.

FWIW - 10 “BBs” weighed 54.8 grains on both my old Hornady/Pacific balance and my nifty electronic scale. I'll just put some in a small bottle and label it “5.48 grains each".

If I am hand/tray loading I weigh every tenth powder charge and then check the entire tray by tilting the tray until the shadow/light hits the powder.

When using the Dillon 550, I keep a scale setup and check a random charge, changing the 'weighed', charged case with the charge 'to be weighed'. I don't know if I have ever missed or double charged a case with this procedure. Iam planing on setting a mirror up to see the charge in my 550.

Ron

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 21 October 2010

Hi all,

I've taken 23 grains loaded with Lee scales and weighed on electronic scales: came out as 30 grains.

I bought the scales about 3 years ago and initially calibrated with a .22 rimfire projectile I pulled from the case. Weight (I thought!) was 40 grains.

Since then I  have loaded about 2000 rounds with this set of scales. Calibers loaded being .303 British, .308 Win., and .375 H&H.

I once had a problem loading 13 grains Red Dot in the .303: sticky bolt. After 2 shots with same problem I ceased fire and pulled all loaded rounds and dropped the load down to 11 grains Red Dot with no further pressure issues.

It was only when I loaded my first set of .224 Weatherby that the issue with the calibration of the scales  became horribly apparant. Load data was correct, powder choice was ok.

I will now recalibrate the scales with a .224 cal. jacketed bullet and then cross reference with the electronic scales.

The problem is now sorted and I feel less like a total idiot and more like a very lucky guy who just  happened to be loading mainly large cases that allowed me to get away with this 7 grain discrepency.

My advice to all of you out there is to immediately check your calibration. If it can happen to me it can probably happen to one of you.

Please pass this info on to others, it may save lives, eyes etc.

Also, it confirms that Weatherby mini mark V's are bloody strong actions!!

cheers

James

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 21 October 2010

That is good advise  Biddulph.  I have always calibrated my reloading scales with jacketed bullets; even though they may not weigh exactly as advertised.  But, they will indicate discrepencies.

My other quirk has been to load with slower powders where a minor varriation in charge weight will not matter so much.

I am extremely happy that you did not get injured.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 21 October 2010

just remember that those jacketed rounds are off too. iv'e weighed many that were 55.1-55.5 as long as you have a reference point to go from though it helps. i also made a dimple where my feet go and drew an outline around the scale so the scale was always in the same place.

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 22 October 2010

And now, the last piece of the puzzle: I found the original .22 rimfire bullet I used to callibrate: weighed it on the electronic scales: 40 grains...

So, what I think happened is that my little kids somehow got into my shed, found the scales and happily played with the little callibration wheel... 'Oh look how it turns!'

So now the scales get locked into the gun safe as are potentially more lethal than the guns!

I think I'll now order some calibration weights and start afresh!

cheers to all

James

Attached Files

ReloaderNY posted this 01 November 2010

My electronic scale came with a calibration weight set. What is the calibration wheel you mention. Is it the leveling wheel on a balance?

Attached Files

biddulph posted this 01 November 2010

Yes, its the brass wheel on the beam of the lee scales.

I've got the .224 Weatherby case mounted over my bench now with the logo: ALWAYS CHECK TARE in large print...

...never again!

Attached Files

Tom W. posted this 24 December 2010

When my Lee scale went south, I was lucky to notice that my loads weren't all that kosher. I dumped the loads back into the pan and they would all read differently. I bought a PACT electronic scale and haven't looked back.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 24 December 2010

PACT scales can go south too. Mine did. Pact was very good about fixing/replacing it, and I"m still using mine, BUT.... I now follow this procedure: after calibrating the scale, I weigh the 20 gram test weight. If it doesn't weigh 308.6 or 308.7 gr. I recalibrate. Then, when weighing powder charges, I ALWAYS make a note (either mental or an actual note on paper) of the weight of the first charge. When I get all the cases charged, I weigh the first charge again. So far, no more problems, but I'm not gonna stop that procedure. I've gotten kind of fond of the warm confident feeling it gives me.

Wes

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 December 2010

I thought my PACT went south, but after a brief phone call they had me do a procedure I wish I had written down on how to rezero the load cell and then I had to do a recal 2 times. I have a variety of electronic scales, 2 PACTS a Dillon and one I won in the raffle last year at the CBA Nationals.. All read with in a couple of tenths of a grain. I still rely on my old beam scale to check the electronics though. Gives me a warm comfortable feeling.

Attached Files

Close