Gas Check Cast Bullet Without the Gas Check?

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 30 June 2011
Southern Shooter posted this 28 October 2010

Can you shoot a gas check cast bullet without the gas check?

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Reloader28 posted this 28 October 2010

I'm new to this forum, but I'll pipe in.

I only tried a few in my 44 mag. The bullet shot good at my plain base bullet load, but it sucks wiping off the lube that collects where the check should have been.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 29 October 2010

Southern Shooter wrote: Can you shoot a gas check cast bullet without the gas check?

Thanks Yes, in my rifles a GC bullet without a GC typically shoots as well as a “real” plain base.This is of course when the velocity is backed off to 1200 or so.In rifles i  leave the lube on the heel.EH Harrison in his 4 part cast bullet series in the American Rifleman  found this to be true long before i tried it.The lyman 358156 aslo shoots well for me without a GC in the 38 and 357.

i included a group of targets from a Russian 7.62 x 54(scoped but otherwise stock) and a 6 cavity NEI 155 “Harris” bullet shot without GC at 100 yards with 11.0 of Trail Boss.Not match winning,but not bad for a  $100 rifle.And it sure is cheap.

Sometimes i just slobber Lee alox over them to save time,works as well as using a lubrasizer.Cant get simpler than that.

George

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 29 October 2010

Yes, you can, as previously mentioned. It's a matter of keeping the velocity down to PB levels. And like George said, LLA works fine for these type of loads, eliminating that lube mess on the gc heel. I shoot a lot of them this way, often as cast, rifle and pistol both. I'm lazy, like to shoot a lot. When I use my Lyman 450 it means I'm getting serious. LLA and the Lee push thru sizer dies is a timesaver, most of the time.

Attached Files

nobade posted this 03 November 2010

I seldom use gaschecks anymore. In my 30-30 cowboy silhouette loads I use cream 'o' wheat as a filler, and shoot #311041 without the gascheck at 1700 fps with 3 inch groups at 200M. In the 35 rem and 358, it's the Ranch Dog 190 with a case full of Trail Boss. The 30-30 bolt gun also likes #311410 with Trail Boss. As for lube, everything gets Lee tumblelube, thinned 50% with mineral spirits then dusted with mica.

The COW seems to be the trick for getting by without the checks at high speeds, but you have to be very careful about using it and not causing excessive pressures. You can't use just any powder with fillered loads and have it work. And no, I have never seen benchrest grade accuracy with fillers, but it usually is plenty good enough for normal offhand shooting.

Attached Files

Tom W. posted this 15 January 2011

I did it for years with a Lee g/c bullet from my Security Six. Nary a problem, and accuracy was great.

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 29 June 2011

Oh, I thought my homade targets were bad? Lol , not that there is anything wrong with that Damron G.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 June 2011

leadhead308 wrote: Oh, I thought my homade targets were bad? Lol , not that there is anything wrong with that Damron G.

free discarded blueprints from customers at work.All i need is an aiming point GRIN

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Michael Petrov posted this 29 June 2011

Regarding home made targets.

For those who shoot a lot I suggest the rubber stamps from Sinclair, they work great.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=stamp/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=stamp>http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=stamp/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=stamp

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 June 2011

Is it just a factor of velocity though? How does the .30 Carbine managed to digest PB bullets at 1900fps?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 30 June 2011

JeffinNZ wrote: Is it just a factor of velocity though? How does the .30 Carbine managed to digest PB bullets at 1900fps?

Ken Mollohan asked that question in ??Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3?? about 30 years ago. No answer yet. I certainly don't know.

joe b.

Attached Files

Close