New From Texas

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 06 December 2010
Steve LaMascus posted this 11 November 2010

Howdy gents. I'm new here, obviously.

I've been a shooter, reloader, cast bullet maker, and hunter for more than 40 years. I am a retired Border Patrol agent and am currently the Firearms Editor with Texas Fish and Game magazine. I live near the Mexican border in Southwest Texas.

I have recently become interested in shooting black powder cartridge rifles, which lead me to this board and a membership with CBA.

Steve

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
raytear posted this 11 November 2010

Agent (retired) LaMascus,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service with the USBP.

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

Steve LaMascus posted this 11 November 2010

Thanks Ray. In the Heart of Texas? Mason area?

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 11 November 2010

Steve move up here where it is safe. Then go out and shoot about a million pigs.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 November 2010

Welcome to the CBA Steve, good to have ya. What do you shoot? And congratulations on your retirement.

Attached Files

loadinfool posted this 11 November 2010

Welcome Steve, good to have you on board

What type of black powder cartridge rifles are you looking to shoot?

You shooting only cartridge or some front stuffers?

And what are you shooting, paper, pigs, deer, ??

Welcome to retirement !!

Attached Files

raytear posted this 12 November 2010

Steve,

Interestingly enough, my dad lives in Mason; I live about 70 miles away in Ingram.

RT

Attached Files

Steve LaMascus posted this 05 December 2010

72Coupe,

Iowa Park? I was born in Nocona and grew up in Benjamin before I moved south. Would love to get off the Border and back to God's country, but I guess our roots are too deep here.

If you know who Wyman Meinzer is, he and I have been buddies since 5th grade. Wyman still lives in Benjamin.

Loadin'Fool, I shoot a .45-70 1874 Sharps and a .54 Caliber Lyman Great Plains Rifle I have had for decades. Right now I am concentrating on the BPCR and trying to learn the eccentricities of paper-patch bullets. Still using smokeless in it right now, but have plans to do some black powder in the future. The Sharps is an Italian copy, but it shoots well and looks good. Will be in the market for a Shiloh or C.Sharps if everything works out with this one.

I mostly shoot deer and hogs, but do a bit of other stuff as time allows. Shot a huge kudu last year on a friend's ranch. It was so old it was having trouble walking because the outer covering of its hooves was all worn and broken off. My buddy let me shoot him out of sympathy. I did not, however, use the BPCR. Cheated and shot it with a .30-338 wildcat.

Raytear, I have a good friend in Mason, Kendal Hemphill. Kendal is the political columnist for Texas Fish and Game magazine and a sweetheart of a man. He also writes a column in several of the smaller newspapers in the Hill Country.

Thank all you guys for the heartwarming welcome. I am looking forward to my association with CBA.

Attached Files

Steve LaMascus posted this 05 December 2010

I neglected to add that I have been molding and shooting cast bullets in my handguns for 30 years. I have a good collection of old Ideal hollowpoint molds for .44, .45, and .357. It's just the rifle stuff that I am new to.

S

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 05 December 2010

Welcome Steve from Cuero, TX! Levergun shooter here!

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 06 December 2010

welcome aboard steve,  always good to have another texican, from deep e tex piney woods, what is left of them!  see ya :D

frank l jr

Attached Files

welcome aboard steve,  always good to have another texican, from deep e tex piney woods, what is left of them!  see ya :D

frank l jr

Attached Files

sorry   double whamey:(

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 06 December 2010

Welcome, Steve.  I'm up on the other border, North of Amarillo.  You'll find lots of usable information here and a lot of good guys. 

Ron

Attached Files

Close