lube?

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 16 May 2011
adrians posted this 12 November 2010

o.k fellas i got 1/2lb of pure beswax ,a can of johnsons paste wax ,mineral spirits and a lillte lla .what can i do to make a tumble lube out of it?.

melt it all together and add mineral spirits off the heat and bottle it up ,or is there some measuring involved in all of this ?:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
DAMRON G posted this 13 November 2010

The lee Liquid Alox dries hard and will work for tumble lube as is.If you make you own mixture(and want to lube the bullet without using a sizer) you can stand the bullets up in a wide flat metal container filled with the hot lube up to as high as you want the bullet lubed.You then let it cool and just twist and pull the bullets out or push them through(if you can get the hardened lube cake out in one piece).To lube more bullets of the same size just fill the empty holes back up and heat the lube up again in hte same container.

I have mixed beeswax(or paraffin) and Vaseline about 50-50 with good luck.

George

Attached Files

adrians posted this 13 November 2010

thats pa lubing ,right?i havn t trisd this method yet i suppose it works best on boolits with “deep” lube groove say my various 45.70 casts ? . if i'm off base here dam please tell i'm an avid learner as you prob know by now ,thanks man ,. have a great day its raining here in ar so no range today:hunt::taz::riflebr:

Attached Files

noylj posted this 16 December 2010

1) try LLA by itself. Very little goes a long way. 2) Thin the JPW with mineral spirits and tumble lube some bullets. 3) Heat the JPW to get rid of the solvents (heating the JPW and getting rid of most of the solvent seems to work much better than simply combining JPW and LLA and heating). Add about the same amount of LLA (White Label Xlox) and stir the mixture while warm. Remove from heat and add a little MS (about 1/10 the volume of the mixture) and stir occasionally as it cools. When it cools, you can add more MS to thin or warm the mixture to lower the viscosity as needed. Tumble lube some bullets. 4 Heat about equal amounts of BW and JPW. When mixed, add about 5 to 10% of the total volume of LLA and stir over heat to make a homogenous mix. Cool. This will make a great pan lube. I have not tried adding MS to thin out to make a tumble lube (as I am very happy with liq. Alox) but should work if the BW will dissolve in the MS. The “problem” with pan lubing is that it is so much more work than a simple tumble lube. My 4oz bottle of LLA has lubed about 2500 bullets so far and I still have some left--a little goes a long way.

Attached Files

MauserMusicMan posted this 30 December 2010

Has anyone come up with a home-made substitute for Lee's Alox tumble lube? We're into volume casting and sometimes run out of the store-bought stuff at the worst time...thanks!

Attached Files

noylj posted this 30 December 2010

White Label Xlox. I don't have access to the raw calcium soaps used in Alox or exactly how they oxidize them and get the performance. Have wondered about automotive undercoating for rust prevention as that is what Also was used for in industry.

Attached Files

hedgehog54 posted this 28 January 2011

how do I make gray's #24 lube

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 January 2011

The formula for Grays #24 is kept very tight to the breast. He will not release it. However I am making a formula called Voodoo 24 this spring which is a facsimile of Grays #24.

Attached Files

MauserMusicMan posted this 01 March 2011

Update on my search for an inexpensive pistol bullet lube (haven't tried it in my 8mm Mauser yet but see no reason why it wouldn't work, at reasonable velocities)...I'm using straight Johnson's Paste Wax, right from the can. I'd read a LOT on various forums and thought I'd try it. I'm not sure about the exact ingredient breakdown or the chemistry involved (I teach band and choir, not chemistry...!), but it seems to work in my new RIA .45 Tactical shorty with water-quenched Lee 195-grain SWCs (not the tumble-lube variety, just the plain old-fashioned bullet with the one deep grease groove). It coats very easily when about a tablespoon-full is put into a coffee can on top of 150 bullets or so and then melted with a hot air gun. It warms the bullets and liquefies the wax. I shake, rattle & roll (THAT dates me, eh?), and spread 'em out on a sheet of stainless I have. They dry pretty quickly and aren't tacky like bullets lubed with Lee liquid alox are. I've shot several dozen (not hundreds yet, but I just got the gun!) and accuracy is acceptable (remember, this is a 3.5 inch barrel at 10-25 yards). Smoke is non-existent, at least with Unique. There is virtually no leading in the bore - it seems shiny, of all things, not black & cruddy. The best part: the Lee stuff is about $5 for 4 ounces and I paid $7 for a pound of the paste wax. Anyone else out there have experience shooting with just the uncut wax? Seems to work so far!

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 March 2011

Lee Liquid Alox is just a rust preventative, similar to Cosmolene.Here's a familiar name for you...

http://yarchive.net/gun/longtermstorage.html

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 20 March 2011

I am not a fan of Lee Tumble Lubing (I started casting bullets decades before there was Lee Tumble Lube and have had a Star Sizer along with both Lyman and RCBS sizers for over forty years. No doubt, I am prejudiced in favor of lube/sizers. I currently use Lars White Label Carnauba Red for bullet lube for both light target loads and heavy rifle loads.

Now, all of that said, the Cast Boolits Forum has several devotees of their own version of Lee Tumble Lube that seems to have several advantages over the original product:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

If I were going to tumble lube this is DEFINITELY the way I would do it.

Dale53

Attached Files

mikld posted this 16 May 2011

Try 45-45-10; 45 % alox or xlox, 45% JPW and 10% mineral spirits.Save the beeswax for later. Excellent tumble lube formulated by “Recluse” on another forum...

Attached Files

Close