What to expect from 45 ACP with LLA in 180gr SWC, heavy loads

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 03 March 2015
corerf posted this 20 November 2010

I purchased a Kimber Custom II in 45 ACP. It is used, about 500 rnds down pipe.

I also purchased an RCBS 180gr SWC mold. I would like to shoot as cast for test and use LLA.

I also am an advocate of shooting a combat weight load for a 180 gr bullet. So I would not be plinking with this load. The gun will shortly be modified to 45 SUPER and I must push the ACP ammo hard enough to cycle the stout action.

So do I need to (I know theres no guarantees) use stick lube on these guys or will I maybe get away with LLA?

I will of course try both but if upper loads of BE, Unique and other powders that will get the pressures up  will definitely breakdown the LLA, then I will forgo that attempt.

Casting will be done with straight WW.

Thanks in advance

Oh yeah, anyone shoot 45 SUPER?? There again, going for the gusto on it.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
noylj posted this 16 December 2010

A light coat of LLA should work fine. I either tumble or pan lube as I don't size my cast bullets. I pour about 500 bullets into a glass casserole pan, squirt a little warmed-up LLA on them and shuffle them around for about a minute by hand. When all the bullets have a shiny/wet appearance, I pour them onto a sheet of wax paper or aluminum foil. The amount is so little that the paper or foil hardly show any residue. If you want, you can even do a couple of coats, with drying over night. Most people put it on until the bullets have a warm-brown look. This is too much and will not dry. Other people blend LLA and Johnson Paste Wax (and mineral spirits) to make a tumble lube that will smoke less.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 16 December 2010

noylj,

what velocity and pressure are you running with using LLA? I am going balls out on this load, intending to push 35kpsi and 1300fps.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 17 December 2010

My 105gn SWC load in 9mm has been clocked at 1420fps using lots of Blue Dot. I don't shoot for velocity, though, and am happy running my .45s at about 850fps. If I need more, I grab one of L.A.R. Grizzly's in .45WinMag. Wonderful gun that should never have been discontinued.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 September 2014

Straight WW alloy is insufficient for the load level you mention. Hardball or Lyman #2 would be recommended for that load level in a 45ACP as a BHN15 alloy is needed for the load level you mention.

No lube will compensate for bullets that are too soft for the load level or too small in diameter to seal the bore correctly.

If your bullets fit correctly and your alloy is up to the load pressure, lube is the least important factor and LLA will be fine. Although I do use and recommend 45:45:10 tumble lube as it is an improved version that dries nearly clear, and tack free in 10 minutes when applied warmed to warm bullets. source:

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?mainpage=productinfo&cPath=2&productsid=31

at $15/quart this is a very economical and very improved product above LLA.

Both certified Hardball pistol alloy and certified Lyman #2 are available from: http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

Gary

Attached Files

noylj posted this 05 October 2014

Well, I have shot a LOT of HOT .44 mags using wheel weights and my .38 105gn bullets in 9x19 were all plain wheel weights. Using over-sized as-cast lead bullets and light lube of LLA prevents leading in my pistols. The thing about LLA is that it is more a barrier coat than a lube”€thus, it was the original bullet coating, with the moly/silicone/epoxy/polyurethane/proprietary coatings following in its path . It sticks to the bullet and doesn't melt under high heat and simply strongly resists, in most cases, the lead to contact the barrel. I also find that the few times I have gotten commercial lead bullets that were too small for my barrels (which means groove diameter), a light tumble lube of LLA eliminated all leading. May not work for bullets that are more than 0.001” too small, but for bullets that lead the first half of the barrel, LLA sure takes care of the problem for me. Now, if I was to make a statement about what lead bullets can and can not do, I would say that lead bullets must be at least 0.001” larger than groove diameter and that HARD bullets REALLY have to be at least this hard. Also, from my testing in the '70s, as-cast lead bullets are more accurate than sized bullets. But, Mike Venturino who has cast more lead bullets than I ever have, and shoots competitive “bench rest” cast bullet competitions uses HARD type-metal alloy in his semi-autos and sizes all his bullets to groove diameter and reports great results”€and he doesn't use a coating for lube. When I did similar, it was a disaster. I get much better results with wheel weights up to #2 alloy in all my guns, including rifles, than any linotype or other type metal cast bullets I have ever made. So, there are very few absolutes to cast bullets. Finally, Rotometals charges $15.59 for 5 lbs of 92/2/6 alloy, or 9 cents per bullet for a 200 gn bullet. For that amount of money, I might just as well buy commercial 200gn bullets at 18-22 BHN for $84/1000. That would be 8.4 cents per bullet and it would come with its own flux.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 March 2015

I shot 215's in my super loads. I don't remember the load but I used power pistol. I used lithium grease mixed with bees wax in the Lyman machine @ .452". The gun was a poly grooved HK USP. I got brass from Starline. Good luck finding your brass again.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 March 2015

I shoot H&G 68s in my Ruger Blackhawk at 1200 fps with only a light coat of LLA and no leading Load is unprintable 8-)

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close