Cheap shotgun/pistol powder!

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 26 February 2011
jimc posted this 02 December 2010

Vihtavouri 10B101. Loads to Herco specs. $25/6 lb. jug. $20 HAZMAT fee on up to 6 jugs. After cost and HAZMAT, works out to $5/ lb.!

I apologize, I haven't learned this forum's system to highlight for link.

Copy & paste and go to third listing down.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Get 'em while they're hot, fellas!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 03 December 2010

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look for someone in this area to split an order with me. I've used Herco in pistol cartridges, works fine.

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 03 December 2010

got my 4 jugs ordered thanks!

George

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 16 December 2010

I am finding the 10B101 to be a lot slower burning than Herco. In the 357 Marlin rifle it takes around 12 grains just to get it to burn decently. Expect a lot of unburned powder with low charge rates. No velocity readings, due to Wisconsin winter weather. Miked the shell bases a la Ken Waters. John

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 16 December 2010

I just loaded 2.5g in a 7.62 x 54 case and its pretty quiet with a 150g bullet and penetrates 1.5” into wood at 30 feet.

George

Attached Files

corerf posted this 16 December 2010

George, did bartlett already deliver your powder??

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 17 December 2010

George, I'm wondering if you looked down the barrel and tapped out the empty case after firing the 2.5 grain load. I just conducted the same experiment, carefully catching the unburned powder from the case and bore. I was able to capture 55 individual square flakes for a weight of .5 grain, or 20% of the charge. The bullet buried itself flush in dry aspen. I made sure the powder was against the primer. The flakes were transparent, the coating now gone. In the 357 mag rifle with 155 grain bullets, a 6 grain charge left a tremendous amount of powder in the bore, most near the muzzle. A 9 grain charge reduced the residue by 50%. At 13 grains, there was just a flake or two, no doubt a compressed charge. John

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 December 2010

I got a few unburned flakes in the case and barrel,but not too bad.I only fired 15 rounds so far tough.I had a feral dog problem and had to make up a silent load ASAP so i used it because it was on the bench and i had the Lee dippers close by.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 17 December 2010

corerf wrote: George, did bartlett already deliver your powder?? Got them in 6 days.it was $148 for 4  jugs delivered to the West Coast.

George

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 17 December 2010

bsdger45 wrote: I am finding the 10B101 to be a lot slower burning than Herco. In the 357 Marlin rifle it takes around 12 grains just to get it to burn decently. Expect a lot of unburned powder with low charge rates. No velocity readings, due to Wisconsin winter weather. Miked the shell bases a la Ken Waters. JohnIt sounds like it might be closer to Blue Dot than Herco. What bullet weight is that?

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 17 December 2010

With the 10B101, I have been using the 358416 at 155 grains. Although too early to draw any conclusions, my initial impressions are that this powder works best at high loading density. My thought is to move on to the 44 mag, where the primer is more powerful and to the 30 carbine, with higher allowable pressures and high loading density. 10B101 is a flat, cut flake powder of .011 thickness. The flakes are about 50% larger than old Alcan AL-8, which is .008 thick. For a comparison of density, a 357 mag case struck level full holds the following.... 10B101 17.8 grains Alcan AL-8 19.3 grains AA #9 26.0 grains. Possibly even slower than Blue Dot. All opinions are subject to change. John

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 19 December 2010

I just used 13.5 in the 7.62 x 54 case with a 210g GC bullet.All powder consumed perfectly.Velocity was 1400 avg ,SD's not so good at 18 and 23.Accuracy fair for the rifle at 2"-2.5” at 100 yards.In a 30-06 sized case rifle it seems to burn just a touch slower than Unique.It is a bear to meter in my Uniflow RCBS measure so I used a Belding and Mull.

My 2.4g silent load with a 150g bullet was 500 fps.Dead on @ 30feet,about 1/2” low @ 15 yards,2” low at 25 yards and 16” low @ 50 yards.Accuracy at 30 feet is little cloverleafs,15 yards was  3/4",25 yards was 2” and 50 yards I never found them all.Lots of unburned flakes in the barrel and case with this load after 20 shots fired.

George

Attached Files

bsdger45 posted this 19 December 2010

That's great that you got some numbers, George, I am up to my waist in snow and cold. At least the snow will stop a lot of bullets for my spring round up. I have an upstairs shooting bench but as of yet I haven't tooled up the chronograph to hang out the window ten feet. John

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 21 December 2010

Load of 2.5 of the stuff @ 10 meters with a Mosin and 1.3X scope.used .3cc lee dipper and Fed 150 primer.Fun load.

Five shot group,typical size.Shown with recovered bullets that went 1.5” into dry Doug Fir.

George

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 26 December 2010

Shot the VV powder today in 7.62 x 54 again.Plain base bullets weighing 205 and 190g.Used Fed pistol primes.

205g bullet-  1095fps   ES-43.5   SD-16.5

190g bullet-  1115fps   ES-35.5   SD-14.1

Report was “hollow” compared to same velocity with Bullseye,TrailBoss or Unique.Accuracy while always looked to be doing great had  odd shots out of all 10 groups shot.No unburned powder left in bore.Two typical groups from two different guns shown.

Maybe rifle primer or Dacron Nap may help things out?

George

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 February 2011

Me and Wineman chronoed a few .357 Mag. loads with 10B101. I'm not looking at the exact numbers but the gist of it was around 1,050 fps from 9.5 gr. and a 158 gr. Lee SWC out of a 4 5/8” barrel Ruger. Due to time constraints the samples were small, but reflected the inexact charge weights from using a Lee dipper. Extreme spread was almost 100 fps from the lowest to highest velocity. This powder is hard to dip accurately, weights varied by up to .5 gr. Weighing would solve that but I hardly ever even weigh a match load. Accuracy test with same loads to follow. Oh, no sign of high pressure, burn clean.

Attached Files

Close