Need help from someone who has one of the computer programs

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 17 December 2010
RicinYakima posted this 11 December 2010

I have a wildcat project in the works and was wondering if any of you computer guys that have the program that estimates loads would help. The case is based on the wildcat 30 Johnson, but with the full size 30/30 rim. I have the needed measurements, I hope, but would like some help finding case forming and test loads. Thanks, Ric

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Boy posted this 11 December 2010

May I suggest the book, Wildcat Cartridges for starters

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 December 2010

Good thought, but I've already done that one. It only has loads for 160 grains with two powders. However, someone else on the forum did several for me. Thanks, Ric

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 12 December 2010

The err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 December 2010

Amen Charlie!

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 12 December 2010

30 Johnson?  Huh.

I checked my version of QUICKLoad's cartridge collection and found 30 BooBoo, Borchard, Purdey, Gibbs, Herrett, Hirsch, Howell, Newton, and a few others -- but no Johnson.

I could make-up a case record for you if I had all the dimensions... and case weight, too.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 12 December 2010

hey ric it would be less expensive to just re-chamber a handi rifle.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 December 2010

Thanks Jim, but it has been taken care of by another guy on the board. We are both snowed in this week end, so have been emailing back and forth.

I don't think there were ever very many 30 Johnson's made, since the design is for a 30/30 case with a rim to fit the 30/06 bolt face. Since the 30 Kern and 30 BR have been around now for about 20 years, there isn't much need for the Johnson. However, this is going into a single shot with a full rim, and there aren't very many small cases for 30 caliber, just the 32's. So we will see how this works out.

Ric

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 12 December 2010

I haven't seen a Johnson since I was a boy. I thought they were in the runoff with the Garand. Both 30-06. Now I have tried all our computers, iMac's iPods, iPad's but not iWife. I still get 17. Now that's a nice prime number. 17 must be the answer. Charlie

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 12 December 2010

Ah, no. .30 X 1&6/10 Sharps

Attached Files

4060may posted this 16 December 2010

Ric Do you have a copy of “The Art of Bullet Casting", handloaders magazine 1966-1981?

Page 174-178  all you need to know..

PM if you want a copy..

Attached Files

4060may posted this 16 December 2010

Ric Amazon.com has the cd with all 4 books on it, a deal at 19.00 ISBN-10: 1879356759

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 December 2010

Thanks 4060may.

Yes I have the original article, and only article, on the Johnson. I was hoping to find some one who had used it besides the originator. Ed Harris the only one so far who has shot one.

My concern is that I want to shoot it at 200 yards and neither of the bullets he uses will remain supersonic at two hundred.

Yep, I have every issue of Handloader and Rifle, plus all of the cast bullet books and most of the Wolfe published speciality soft covers. That is one of the good things about being a pack rat and loving books: you have a lot of them hidden away!

Ric

Attached Files

4060may posted this 17 December 2010

Ric Paul at CPA is using a 32-20 with 200gr bullets at 200yds and doing well The .32 Miller is very good at 200, but both are breech seated, and if you want to do fixed, why not a .30Herret, a lot easier to make,I just happen to have a set of dies, and there is loading data available

I put a so-called Bunny gun together in 32-20, with 120gr bullets and Unique my BIL was knocking Rams over at 200, to everyone's amazement, I don't think it was supersonic tho..

So many thing so little time

Chuck

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 December 2010

Chuck,

I want to shoot in the CBA heavy rifle class first, so that requires fixed ammo.

Plus I am not convinced that the sharp shoulder, short neck is the way to cast bullet accuracy. The 30 Herret has a lot more case capacity than needed for a 200 grain cast bullet to stay supersonic at 200 yards at less than 34,000 CUPs.

Since I already have a complete set of reamers, body, neck and throater, the basic Johnson with a full 30/30 rim seems the way to go for right now. Resizing dies aren't needed, and I have already made a Wilson Style seating die.

Nothing wrong with 32 Miller Short, except that there are a lot of them out there and in 20 years seem to have reached the limits of the case.

Ric

Attached Files

Close