Original Hoppe's

• 7.7K Views
  • Last Post 28 January 2013
.22-10-45 posted this 27 December 2010

Hello, I haven't checked in awhile, to see if still available, but Bruno's Shooting Supply has been adding Nitro-benzene to the new style hoppe's for years.  It smells just like the original good o'l hoppes again!...cleans better too.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bsdger45 posted this 28 December 2010

Could you explain this further? Are you saying that Hoppes furnishes this special blend only to Bruno, or that Bruno is adding extra ingredents and repackaging the product? Can you provide us with references to this process?

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 29 December 2010

Hello, bsdger45. Quite a few years ago, Hoppes removed the Nitro-Benzene from their solvent..probably forced by the EPA? I noticed the smell had changed to a kerosene odor. Bruno Shooters Supply puts the N.B. back in. Last time I ordered..about two or three years ago, the girl said they were having problems obtaining N.B.,& demand was down. I haven't spoke with them since.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 27 June 2011

I believe nitro-benzene is used in model plane fuel.Frank C.

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 13 July 2011

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been using the product in glass bottles for over a half of a century. When I finally needed a new bottle, it came in a plastic squirt bottle. Didn't smell the same. so...I put it into my old glass bottle. Eurika!! It smelled just like the old #9. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Maybe someone knows the chemistry difference and will give a shout out to the brethren why that is?.

LB

:dude:

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 July 2011

LeverBob wrote: I don't know about anyone else, but I've been using the product in glass bottles for over a half of a century. When I finally needed a new bottle, it came in a plastic squirt bottle. Didn't smell the same. so...I put it into my old glass bottle. Eurika!! It smelled just like the old #9. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Maybe someone knows the chemistry difference and will give a shout out to the brethren why that is?.

LB

:dude:

Last big bottle I bought about 12 months ago was in a plastic bottle also !

I never paid any attention to the smell in the plastic container but it smelled same as always to me when I used it from the glass bottle !

Attached Files

LeverBob posted this 13 July 2011

Why did they omit nytro-benzine? Anyone know? The stuff works just like it has always worked. I even used it as a an aftershave once (My wife remembered the smell from her old dads use on his guns long ago).

LB

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 13 July 2011

N-B is available at all hobby shops for R/C fuel 5% 10% 15% and even 20% N/B ...works good in the R/C planes! what does it do to fouling? also when bought in fuel form it comes mixed with castrol oil!

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 July 2011

LeverBob wrote: Why did they omit nytro-benzine? Anyone know? The stuff works just like it has always worked. I even used it as a an aftershave once (My wife remembered the smell from her old dads use on his guns long ago).

LB

Nitro Benzene is a really great solvent. The nitrogen content helps disolve the same type of nitro powder residues left in the barrel.

Back in the mid-70s the EPA stopped almost all usage of Nitro Benzene because it is one of the cancer causing carcinogens they wanted out of the market place.

When I was motocrossing in the 70s the big 2-cycle oil additive to use in gasoline was Castrol's Gold because it contained Nitro Benzene for a cleaner burning oil and because the Nitro gave an added kick to the fuel for a little more horsepower. The formula was changed about that time.............DanW

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 July 2011

bandmiller2 wrote: I believe nitro-benzene is used in model plane fuel.Frank C.

I didn't realize Nitro Benzene could still be used in hobby fuel? Like the old great solvent Carbon Tetrachloride, I thought these chemicals were no longer available on the common market.

From what I can research, one of the biggest hypocritical kicks of the Greeny Weenys is the use of Nitro Benzene, from what I understand, is still being used in Airliner jet fuel because jet fuel cannot be formulated to work successfully without it. This really chaps my hide when them Greeny Weenys get on my butt about my little ittsy-bittsy tail pipe emissions being so horrible, but yet the thousands of tonnages per day of Airline jet engine emissions is neglected by every form of regulating Greenys!!!!!!............DanW

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 25 January 2013

Not to be picky, but the Nitro used in model airplane fuels, is Nitro_Methane. (Or so we are told by Powermaster Fuels, and other manufacturers). I've used it for years, and it's the same stuff used in Top-Fuelers in Drag Racing. BTW: If you've ever accidentally glued your fingers together with CyA glue, (Or Miracle Glue) the stuff is also sold as a de-bonder. (Don't ask how I know this!)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 25 January 2013

Not to be picky, but the Nitro used in model airplane fuels, is Nitro_Methane. (Or so we are told by Powermaster Fuels, and other manufacturers). I've used it for years, and it's the same stuff used in Top-Fuelers in Drag Racing. BTW: If you've ever accidentally glued your fingers together with CyA glue, (Or Miracle Glue) the stuff is also sold as a de-bonder. (Don't ask how I know this!)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 25 January 2013

Billglaze:

You beat me to it, “Nitro-Methane” Burn a bit of it in the summer time.

RD

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 25 January 2013

You guys are are giving me an asthma attack. I hate the old Hoppe's. The smell is so horrible it creates an anti-social atmosphere that separates marriages and families and gives me an asthma attack..

Get up to date with gun cleaning. The New Hoppe's Elite does cost more but is truly odorless and inoffensive. It is available in creme gel or spray and I will never go back to the old stink bomb crap. Elite cleans anything out of a gun as well or better than anything else does.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/264513/hoppes-elite-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-gel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130696/hoppes-elite-gun-cleaner-8-oz-pump

Family friendly and worth every penny!!!

Gary

Attached Files

R Dupraz posted this 25 January 2013

Quit buying Hoppe's when I used some of the new.and then realized that they had changed the formula.Then switched to Ed's Red. No one is going to convince me that the new is as good as the old. Kinda liked the old smell anyway.

Nothing goes together better than the old smelly Hoppes and a pocket full of .22's in a pasture full of flickertails.

RD

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 January 2013

I Love The Smell of Hoppes #9! I love the smell of Hoppes #9! Just could not get the wife to wear it for perfume!

The old #9 had benzene and amyl acetate (the banana smell) that was the most effective at lifting out powder residue, but the new stuff (last 20 years) is all “safe".

Now I have been using on Ed's Red except for the prize guns in the safe. They still get #9.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 25 January 2013

onondaga wrote: You guys are are giving me an asthma attack. I hate the old Hoppe's. The smell is so horrible it creates an anti-social atmosphere that separates marriages and families and gives me an asthma attack..

Get up to date with gun cleaning. The New Hoppe's Elite does cost more but is truly odorless and inoffensive. It is available in creme gel or spray and I will never go back to the old stink bomb crap. Elite cleans anything out of a gun as well or better than anything else does.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/264513/hoppes-elite-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-gel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130696/hoppes-elite-gun-cleaner-8-oz-pump

Family friendly and worth every penny!!!

Gary

Oh now, take easy Gary. I, like many others like the smell of it. It's a manly smell! :cba::wtf:

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 25 January 2013

The smellof old Hoppes No. 9 brings back lots of memories for many of us. But, it won't clean as well as Ed's Red.

Attached Files

Maven posted this 26 January 2013

"The New Hoppe's Elite does cost more but is truly odorless and inoffensive."

Who wants to be odorless and inoffensive, Gary?;)

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 January 2013

Yup, good old Hoppes #9. Many years ago you could always tell when you walked in someone's house and smelled Hoppes that a guy was a rifleman or a hunter/trapper. Ahhhhh, what good memories. :)

I have a few of the old bottles around just to use on special occasions while cleaning a favorite gun then, I'm in my 'happy place'....ah, life is good..........Dan

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 26 January 2013

Kind of like 3in1 oil. We used to make pull throughs with a string and a bobby pin.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close