Trail Boss Again...

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 05 February 2012
BCB posted this 28 December 2010

I know there was a thread started some time ago and I have read it...

Since those days, I think more people have tried it and may have opinions...

I use the 70% formula provided by Hodgdon.  IMR provides data and it doesn't coincide with the 70% formula...

How many here use the 70% formula and are confident of the safety for the charges it calculates?...

I use the 70% formula exclusively and I have had not problems at all with 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 445 Super Magnum, 45 Long Colt, 270 Winchester, 30-30 Winchester, and the 7-30 Waters.  All with cast boolits of course...

Any thoughts from veteran users or new users?...

Thanks...BCB

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 28 December 2010

What is the 70% formula? I bought a plastic container, used factory recommended loads, accuracy was fair to poor. So I haven't loaded it for several years. Ric

Attached Files

DAMRON G posted this 28 December 2010

RicinYakima wrote: What is the 70% formula? I bought a plastic container, used factory recommended loads, accuracy was fair to poor. So I haven't loaded it for several years. Ric Seat a bullet and mark where it's depth in the case.Then fill it with trail boss to the mark, 70% of  this is your starting load (in any case supposedly).

I use 12-14g in most 303,8x57-30-06,7.65 Arg. etc.. sized cases and find it as accurate as any other powder tried and more accurate than others.Its just not economical as some powders.If fit were cheaper its  all i would use.Its sort of nice not having to worry about a double charge.

George

older thread on subject-

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=6334&forum_id=52>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=6334&forumid=52

Attached Files

huffmanite posted this 07 February 2011

I've used Trail Boss for a couple of years now.  Can remember when I called IMR (before Hodgdon) seeking cast bullet load data for 30-06 and 308.  Told by IMR rep, Trail Boss powder should only be used in straight cased cartridges and rep wouldn't help me one bit in any load data for the tapered/bottle necked 308/30-06 cartridges.   Month or so later, gun magazine I subscribe to had a nice article on using Trail Boss with cast bullets in bottle necked cartridges.  Made me feel good when the suggested loads in the article were basically ones I had called IMR to confirm, but had no help from them.  

Then Jan 2010, I buy the Hodgdon load manual in my local Wal Mart and in it I find a several page article on using Trail Boss with jacketed bullets, using the 70% formula mentioned by earlier replier.  In article, Chief ballistician of Hodgdon is quoted “that is impossible to load any cartridge with Trail Boss that will exceed SAAMI pressure specs."  Nothing was mentioned in article if this applied to only cartridges fired in modern weapons....for example, is this true for a 1873 Springfield trapdoor 45-70 or my .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block made circa 1880. 

Regardless, I've used Trail Boss with both cast and jacketed bullets with no problem in a number of rmodern rifle cartridges.  Chuckle, have a low serial numbered sporterized 1903 Springfield that had obviously been well used before I bought it for a very very low price.  Since buying it, a fair amount of Trail Boss loads with both cast and copper coated (not jacketed bullets) have been shot with the rifle.  Mind you, these loads were probably 40-50% load density at most (vs the 70% beginning load for jacketed).

Attached Files

BCB posted this 08 February 2011

The Website for the 70% formula...

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Attached Files

kidwalli posted this 08 January 2012

Trail Boss is a very interesting powder. It gives superior velocities which would result in leading with most other powders except IMR Sr 4759. I have been playing with both in a Model 94 Winchester Big Bore Angle Eject lever action in 307 Winchester. The red line for this rifle to start leading is around 1450 fps according to my Shooting Chrony. So far with Trail Boss I am getting 1700 fps with no gas check and no leading. Shoots very clean with decent accuracy. I am going to see if SR 4759 will do this also. The only problem with Trail Boss is the crazy price of the stuff and it tends to bridge in the powder drop on humid days.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 08 January 2012

I have never used Trail Boss.

However, the complaints about price are somewhat exaggerated. The trick is to buy it in 5lb caddies. Then it is competitive with many powders.

I just checked Powder Valley's prices online. It is $17.10 per lb. when 5# is bought. The small containers only contain 9 oz.

Dale53

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 09 January 2012

I read where after getting your 70 percent you are supposed to time that by .7 so if this is correct your loads are wrong...I git it from the horses mouth.....70 percent times .7 is your STARTING load.....???????????????

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 09 January 2012

In other words ” 70% of 70% is the charge to use? That doesn't make any sense at all.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

huffmanite posted this 10 January 2012

Lets pretend, you've marked your case where bottom of bullet will be seated.

Fill case to your mark with Trail Boss and then weigh/measure the powder....pretend it was 20 grains you measured. The 20 grains represents 100% load density.

Mulitply the 20grs times/X .7 to determine your 70% load density, which is the recommended start load. So, in this example, 70% load density is 14 grains of Trail Boss.

If you wanted 80% load density, then multiply by .8......20 grs x .8 is 16 grs.

Hodgdon says you can load to 100% density with Trail Boss in any cartridge and it will be safely within SAAMI specs for pressure.  Be aware,  Hodgdon/IMR says not to compress a Trail Boss load. 

Attached Files

51colt posted this 20 January 2012

I have been using Trail Boss for a while now. I use it in loads for my 1895 Nagant using converted 32-20 brass, Uberti Colt walker with a R&D 45 Colt conversion cylinder and my SA 1911-A1 GI. All these guns shot great with this powder. Shooting the 1911 with this powder was pure fun it is kind of like s cowboy action shooting with a 1911. 51

Attached Files

sparky45 posted this 02 February 2012

BCB wrote: The Website for the 70% formula...

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

This link worked for me. http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 02 February 2012

Hmmmmm! I kept wondering what you guys were talking about, I only paid $78 for my 5 pound keg about a year ago at a local dealer. Two weeks ago at the Springfield, IL, gun show, it was $160! I think that very strong demand has had its effect on the price. I am not sure these two prices are comparable. In other words, I don't know what my local dealer is charging now, nor do I know what the gun show dealer had it for a year ago.

I have been using TB in the 06 behind a 200 grain Lee bullet for a real “cat's sneeze” load. It is accurate and goes “tink.” No idea how fast, but less than the speed of sound. I need to run them over the chrono and see how fast this load goes.

I'm not paying $160 if and when I run out.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Old Ranger posted this 05 February 2012

I've used up about a lb of Trail Boss over the last couple years with cast bullets in the following rifles- Win 94 in 3030, MN M91, M95 carbine in 8x56R and a Carcano 91/24. Used the 70% rule to establish starting loads and went up to 95% loading density No problems with any of the loads. Accuracy not as good as some other powders. Just started with the little Carcano carbine and it shows some potential. From what I have read they are not known for being accurate. Have only tried mine at 25yds so far but was getting some groups around a half inch (all touching). That seems pretty decent to me. Also to point of aim which is a bonus.

Attached Files

Close