New Member on the Md Mason-Dixon Line

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 03 January 2011
Smoke-um if you got-um posted this 01 January 2011

Just saw this forum on a another site and thought I would check in and see whats what......... been a shooter/reloader/caster since 1966. After reading a great many of these posts on various sites it seems that I just might be doing more wrong than right.  Started browsing the internet after retiring to get ideas about paper patching because I just wasn't having any repeatable results the way I was doing it. Got interested in PP a few yrs ago after seeing the movie Quigley Down Under and it has been driving me crazy ever since trying to get it right. I see that a great many other people have been pulling their hair out as well. Misery loves company.............

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 01 January 2011

Welcome. Which town do you live in?

Attached Files

Smoke-um if you got-um posted this 01 January 2011

The closest Town is actually in Pa. I live almost on top of the Mason-Dixon line on the Md side. A little township called Fawn Grove is approx. 3/4 of a mile away from where I'm sitting. The closest town in Md is a place called Bel Air about 16 miles south.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 01 January 2011

Bel Air... home of the Booth family mansion. I know roughly where you are.

Attached Files

StrawHat posted this 02 January 2011

Smoke-um if you got-um wrote: The closest Town is actually in Pa. I live almost on top of the Mason-Dixon line on the Md side. A little township called Fawn Grove is approx. 3/4 of a mile away from where I'm sitting. The closest town in Md is a place called Bel Air about 16 miles south. Welcome to the forum.  I was raised in Manchester, Carroll County.  Mom and Pop moved to Ohio when I was 9 and I liked the idea of three meals a day so I came with them.  Beautiful part of the country and I never tire of visiting.

Attached Files

Smoke-um if you got-um posted this 02 January 2011

Indeed, the Booth Mansion is still there and is listed and maintained as an Historical Landmark. Ah... the countryside in Maryland, anything you could want. From the sandy beaches of the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, Glass flat ground of the Eastern Shore then to the rugged(but small mountains) in the west and everything in between. Whew... what a run-on sentence. The weather is like that too, if you don't happen to like it, just wait 15 minutes and it will change.........

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 02 January 2011

While I was in the service I lived in Havre de Grace and Port Decrepit. Caught lots of shad and crappie. Shot AT many a dove.

Attached Files

testhop posted this 02 January 2011

welcome from BALTIMORE

Attached Files

My oldest son and his wife live in Elkton. I go thru “Port Decrepit” about once a week to visit them. For about the last 10 yrs or so they have been trying to make improvements with several small restaurants and business's coming in and doing some clean-up. But as you probably know there is only so much that might be done there. One of these days the old,old Conowingo Dam is going to let go and ....poof... good-by Port and HdeGrace. Stationed at Aberdeen or you old enough to have been at Bainbridge up on the hill next to Port? My son and I shove off at the Port Marina and head out for Rockfish in the Bay a few times a yr.

Attached Files

/images/emoticons/134.gif Baltimore ???? Did you say Baltimore ??...... Never heard of it........ Although, I just might watch the game today and see it they whip their own butts in the 4th quarter..... again........ and again..... and  again.... etc...........

Attached Files

StrawHat posted this 02 January 2011

I had forgotten all about the Conowingo Dam!  The folks used to take us up there to hike and picnic.  I recall it as a beautiful place with the trees nicely lined up in rows.  (I was about 6, things that I find odd now, impressed me than.)

As for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the Browns have that play sewn up, the Ravens are mere shams at copying that play.

Attached Files

Strawhat -Before the 9/11 attack I could fish on the catwalk at the base of the Conowingo Dam and would every once in awhile catch a ChannelCat(fish) with a head as big as a Watermelon. I can only imagine how big the ones were that we couldn't even get to the surface with the light tackle we used. Since then a person can't get anywhere close to the dam except to drive across it. Same everywhere I guess.... Different times....... Oh, about the game, I was about ready to throw the TV off the deck during the last two minutes with the Bengals on the two yd line..........

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 02 January 2011

when ya get the paper patches worked out take a trip to forsyth, montana on fathersday and shoot the quigley. last i was there it drew 498 shooters, i understand this or now last year it passed 600. go early and take lotsa ammo. best way to say it is fun fun fun. take an rv if ya got one. targets start at 350 yds off hand and go to 787yds. a real challange. i sure do want to go back, maybe i will some day. m

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 02 January 2011

guess i forgot. welcome you will like it here.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 03 January 2011

I'm old enough to have been at Bainbridge. Best duty station I ever had. I was there for the 1972 flood. Tropical storm whatever. I was in Port Deposit at the time and head to be taken down the main street by boat. I lived across the street from the little police department (unless it's been relocated).

Attached Files

Smoke-um if you got-um posted this 03 January 2011

Bill -Tropical Storm Agnes. A few of the stone building's still have the high water marks on them. The little police dept. is still there, fact is you could arrive there today and still recognize the place as the only thing new are some Condo's sitting out/in/over the river on pilings(can you believe that?). They must be nut's. Even the new business's occupy the same old building's. For the most part it's a little, blink of the eye, town lost in time. If I can remember :-), I'll take a couple of photo's and PM them to you next time I'm thru there. Mike

Attached Files

Close