Ed's Red Media Treatment

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 12 July 2011
jimkim posted this 11 February 2011

Someone had suggested I try Turtle Wax Swirl & Scratch Remover in my ground corn cob. The cases came out pretty good, but it took forever to to mix with the corn cob. This morning I mixed a little with Ed's Red and what do you know? I ended up with super shiny  brass. I'm thinking the combo of the detergents and the mild abrasive made one heckuva' polish. Any ideas on improving this?

Pictures added: 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 11 February 2011

I don't know that I'd want to reload even slightly oily cases. I can think of a few possible scenarios that make me uncomfortable, including the the potential for the cases being unable to grip the chamber walls under pressure during firing, increasing the amount of back thrust on the frame. I use Eds Red for many things, but I won't be cleaning my cases with it unless I can come up with some way of removing any and all oily residue.

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 12 February 2011

jimkim if you will mix the turtle wax with a small amount of minerial sprits, i think you will have the same results. i've been using this with all my cleaners that i add to the cob or grit. ie red rougr, aluminia. a very fine abraisive used to polish rocks.i've also used hoppe's #9,worhs great, just a tad expensive keep the faith

see ya   frank l jr

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 12 February 2011

The guys at Cast Boolits were experimenting with Lemi-Shine and Jet Dry Dishwasher drying agents.  Said they cleaned brass real good.

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 13 February 2011

Thanks fellas. :D Sorry about the size of the pics. Next time I'll use thumbnails.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 February 2011

I use plain ground corncob in the big Dillon tumbler. I use 5 pounds of media to 1000 .38 Special cases. To prepare new media I add a tablespoon of powdered Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend and 1 fluid once of Ed's Red per POUND of media, then let it mix in the machine for an hour before adding any brass. When the media starts getting dirty-dusty-nasty you can rejuvenate it by repeating the Ed's Red treatment and it will work again for a while. But next time it looks dirty it is time to recycle the used media by packing it into and sewing closed old shot bags for shooting rests.  This small amount of Ed's Red is completely absorbed by the corncob and doesn't wet the brass. It does suppress dusting.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

noylj posted this 10 May 2011

The only worry about oily cases is with high pressure loads (55K and up). In general, the advice has been to clean off any lube if you are loading max charges in your rifle. At one time, it was VERY common to oil your cases to prevent the cases getting stuck in the chamber (1880s to 1920s or 1930s).

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 May 2011

I used crushed walnut shells from the pet supply store and put in about an inch of Flitz from the tube in my Large Dillon tumbler.

Jerry

Attached Files

res45 posted this 18 June 2011

jimkim I gotten the same or better results by soaking those type of cases in Lemi Shine for 30 min. to an hours depending on condition of brass.

One level teaspoon of Lemi Shine per quart of HOT tap water followed by a rinse with clean water and tumbling with your favorite media makes them look like new.

I use plain old corn cob with a couple cap fulls of Nu Finish car polish mixed in well and no additional polish is need for several batches of brass,then only one cap full is required to recharge the media and shorten polishing time.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 12 July 2011

Well, I added Ed's Red per Ed's instructions and it certainly does liven up the mix. Worth doing IMHO.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 12 July 2011

I use an automotive polish and spray in some rubbing alcohol. FAST action, bright clean and NO oily residue.

Attached Files

Close