Hodgdon H110 in the 357 magnum

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 24 May 2011
[email protected] posted this 27 March 2011

I'm wondering if one should use a magnum primer with H110? Hodgdon dosen't seem to specify on thier web site, or at least I didn't see any info on primers.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
leadburner posted this 27 March 2011

If it doesn't specify a mag primer,probably don't need one.If you want to use mag primers where they aren't called for,I would suggest dropping the load by 10%.H-110 is sometimes a bit hard to ignite,at least that is what I've read.I've never had a problem with it even in cold temps(30 degrees down to 0)in a 44 mag with non mag primers.I suppose some would say I've been lucky not to have had problems,but my loads are consistant,good accuracy,velocity,and low extreme spreads.:fire

Attached Files

corerf posted this 27 March 2011

H-110 and Win 296 are the same powder, per Hodgdon techs. Load data is the same, line for line, for both powders.

And so since Win296 calls explicitly for mag primers (consult your data book, not mine),

then it stands to reason the the same flattened spherical powder called H-110 could use a mag primer and will generate equivalent pressure curves.

Win 296 USUALLY requires use of mag primers, period. I believe there is safety comfort in attempting to use a std primer, but you may have some wild velocity changes due to ignition issues and variable burn rate (real, real slow)

And so it goes with H-110.

I do know folks who do just fine with std primers for both powders. I would load a few of each and see what the chronograph results are. The chrono will justify use of mag vs std.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 March 2011

Winchester Small Pistol (WSP) and their Small Pistol Magnum (WSPM) are nominally the same primer. The only difference with the magnum primers is that they are sorted from regular lots to favor those with pellet weight at the maximum. Frank Marshall liked to say that it was clever marketing which lets them charge more for their scrap. I don't know about that, but can say that if you use Winchester primers with Ball or spheroidal powders you don't need to buy magnum primers

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
corerf posted this 28 March 2011

Ed Harris with the final word.... God Bless Ed. Thank You for your WISDOM>

You have just saved me from MUCH grief in the future.

Mike

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 28 March 2011

Contacted Hodgdon, They say H110 gets magnum primers period. They sure are concerned about good ignition. I'll take their advice,or Ed's Thanks Gentelmen

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 28 March 2011

Come to think of it I have a box of Win large pistol primers that says for standard or magnum loads

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2011

Honestly, I've been using Remington 6-1/2 small rifle primers for 357 magnum. Remington came out with an “advisory” not to use 6-1/2 rifle primers in “high intensity” rifle calibers like .223. Terrific! I have many thousands of them that I bought for .223 before the advisory came out. I had to do my load development all over again, but it beats not being able to use them at all. I fully believe what Ed said. I've discovered that “match” primers are just standard primers that are run after the initial manufacturing set up is calibrated, and confirmed to be uniform. No magic there, just marketing savvy.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 15 May 2011

Anybody ever weight sort a tray of primers to see if you detect variables?

Just curious.

Attached Files

gee-gaw posted this 23 May 2011

Those Remington 6-1/2 Small rifle primers make just dandy primers for the .22 Hornet or .218 Bee. That should hold true for all the low pressure, small capacity cartridges. Just my .02 worth Wayne

Oh, and 73s Ed KF4TBY

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 23 May 2011

leadburner wrote: I would suggest dropping the load by 10%. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in load books that you should never reduce the charge for WW296 or H110, load'em exactly as listed.

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 24 May 2011

I use cci mag primer 13gr H110 LBT200gr FN for 1050 cronoged vel. in a S&W 686 and this load shoots so good i have stuck with it for over 15yrs in several S&Ws.James Ball

Attached Files

Close