43 Year Old Vergin

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 16 April 2012
3100Loren posted this 31 March 2011

A friend at work told me he came upon what he thought was a good deal at a local gun store.  He said he found a 30-30- Marlin that seems to be in pretty good condition.  After the California 10-day waiting period, he brought it by to show me.  Also, he wanted me to keep it for him for a few days as he had no yet told his wife about the purchase, but that is another story.  I looked at it and the first thing I noticed was, that this rifle is a Winchester! In very nice shape, very good wood and metal with “Winchester 94 Classic on the Octagon barrel."  The next thing I noticed was, there seemed to be no carbon fouling or oil anywhere on it.  I then looked at the brass loading gate and saw that there were no marks on it.  It has never been loaded!  I then did a serial number search on the Internet and found this rifle was made in 1968.

I don't know what is the worst sacrilege, it having not been shot all these years, or that it is going to be now.  I thought this to be a good topic for a poll.  What do you think?

Loren

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
nimrod posted this 01 April 2011

Might want to check around to see what the real value is some collector might give a whole bunch for it. Then take that money and go buy a good rifle.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 02 April 2011

I'm with Nimrod, re: check for collector value before “deflowering” this one.

Another horrible thought is that your friend actually did buy a Marlin, but in the intervening 10 days some kind of mix-up happened and he got the wrong rifle delivered into his hands.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 02 April 2011

It isn't Pre 64 just shoot it .

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 02 April 2011

i dont care what the dollar value is i would shoot it. I have guns to shoot not to sit in the safe. load the rifle into the car and shoot it. not just once but often. i put more value in using something than just having it. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 April 2011

Check out the $ thing, then make a better informed decision. Might be a great opportunity to score, or not. Might impress his wife and open the door for more 'investments'. It is post '64, but still a New Haven Winchester, going up in value too.

Attached Files

James Ball posted this 03 April 2011

Tell your friend to put me down in his will as the person he wants to leave the gun to befor he tells his wife.also tell him to hide the ammo so she cant find it.

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 03 April 2011

Thank you all, I'll pass your advice and sage wisdom on to Bob.

That's two “Shoot it."

Three check out the value.

One volenteering for adoption.

P.S. He took it home, but the wife still does not know about it!  I think he was a little nervous about about it getting too comfortable in my safe.

Good shooting, Loren

Attached Files

jppr26 posted this 04 April 2011

ive learned that it is better to just take your licks instead of worring about them, and dragging it out. but yes find out if someone will pay 3-4X what he did first, if not, then shoot the Crud out of it.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 04 April 2011

On the wifey thing, back in the old days when I was the sole income for the family I made a deal with momma, since she didn't have money coming in, when I got a gun I gave her an equal amount to spend on girl toys. So I paid double for everything 'I couldn't live without'. Really made me pick and choose my gun deals. It hurt like hell but was only fair and I didn't have to sneak them in, she was always happy to see I found a new toy. That's probably when I developed a taste for cheap guns. It's paid off in the long run as now she makes way more than I do and fills up my truck now and then so I can go to the range.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 04 April 2011

I only have one thing to say: It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission..>

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 16 July 2011

I've always wanted a long barreled win 94 in 30-30 with a octagon bbl for cast bullets. Besides I think they have a cool factor unmatched by any other rifle. I have a cherry canadian centennial with 26” octagon bbl coming soon and hopefully will get some cast set up for it. I would say that if I had your rifle I'd shoot it as they made a bunch of commorative rifles and carbines. And as I approach the big 65 none of us is getting younger. Enjoy shooting that rifle. Frank

Attached Files

bandit7.5 posted this 16 April 2012

shoot it its just a winchester

Attached Files

Close