Arsenic and Sulfur

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 18 May 2011
CB posted this 15 May 2011

I called my local farm supply and they don't stock lead arsenate, they said it had too many liabilty issues these days.

My local pharmacy sells small quantity packages of Sulfur, so I had them order in a couple packages for me.

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 15 May 2011

Are you planning on bumping someone off or is it for heat treating? If for HTing to be honest the WW have enough arsenic already to do the job and if that's not enough for ya a small amount of magnum shot fills the bill.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 15 May 2011

dont know for sure but i have been told that lead shot has arsenic in it. If you were to add a small amount of shot you would have all you would need for heat treating. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 May 2011

Shot has some arsenic in it, HT is great but I produce many thousands of bullets during the winter and can't tie up the stove in the kitchen and toaster oven are too small for my needs.

I just purchased several bags of premium shot thru my local gun club, $37 per bag makes it too expense to use for me when I can get sulfur.

Jerry

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 15 May 2011

sulpher is used to remove zinc from an alloy. if the total exceeds 1.6% it is no longer soluble. sulpher is also a grain modifier and will help you pour boolits with more mass. the arsenate will help non As lead quench harden by acting as a catalyst.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 May 2011

I bought 5# of 90% sulfer at the Farmers Co-op for $10. It's a common soil modifier.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 16 May 2011

i never knew that sulphur would remove zinc from lead. how much is used and how does it work. joe gifford aka argie1891

Attached Files

shooter93 posted this 16 May 2011

If you had an alloy of 93-3.5-3.5 and wanted arsenic added for heat treating.....how much magnum shot per pound would be adequate?

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 May 2011

argie1891 wrote: i never knew that sulphur would remove zinc from lead. how much is used and how does it work. joe gifford aka argie1891 Joe, check out this article: http://www.lasc.us/WiljenArsenic.htm

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 16 May 2011

thanks interesting for sure joe gifford

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 16 May 2011

scott. airc ww's have like .14-.17% arsenic in them. arsenic is used in shot to make it have more surface tension. i THINK it has something like .24% you don't need that much to act as a catalyst for quenching an alloy. airc something like.03-.04 will do the trick.

that article by ric is informative and explains the process. i'd experiment some with cooling the alloy also.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 16 May 2011

http://www.lasc.us/WiljenArsenic.htm here is another one by ric that'll help. this may be the same as above.

Attached Files

shooter93 posted this 18 May 2011

Thanks Lamar

Attached Files

Close