Babbitt Metal

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 31 May 2011
largecaliberman posted this 25 May 2011

I was cruizing around the neighborhood and came across a garage sale.  The person that sold me these ingots said he was unable to melt it and decided to “let it go” for a dollar a piece.  I “acted” surprise and he came out right away and said I could have the whole bucket for $20.00.  Well needless to say I purchased the bucket and in it were 67 pieces of this stuff. 

My question is---what's in it and is it any good for casting?

Can anyone tell me the composition of this particular brand?

THANKS IN ADVANCE:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 25 May 2011

Google results: http://uamet.com/abc.htm

Looks like good stuff. Duane

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 25 May 2011

Well, I went to their web site and they say it is 89% tin, 7.5% antimony and 3.5% copper.

Just treat it like tin at 1 pound in 20 pounds to 40 pounds of WWs. You can send any extra my way if you don't want to mess with it! :D

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 26 May 2011

It's far to pretty to melt down.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 27 May 2011

JeffinNZ wrote: It's far to pretty to melt down. I guess I'll save them all.  After all, people collect bottles of wines and keep them as their prized possessions.  Well maybe use some of it to mix it some of the range lead that I've been storing for a while.  :lovecast:

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 27 May 2011

Duane Mellenbruch wrote: Google results: http://uamet.com/abc.htm>http://uamet.com/abc.htm

Looks like good stuff. Duane Thanks for the link.:dude:

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 27 May 2011

Glad to be able to help ID this material. Very good score. This should will be a great help in bringing your scrap up to grade for wonderful casting. Duane

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 May 2011

JeffinNZ wrote: It's far to pretty to melt down.

I've seen bars similar to these here in the states in flea markets that have a price of $25 - $35 each on them for antique value. Don't know if they ever sell one or not?............DanW

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 28 May 2011

Dan Willems wrote: I've seen bars similar to these here in the states in flea markets that have a price of $25 - $35 each on them for antique value. Don't know if they ever sell one or not?............DanWI don't know about antique value. They're still for sale from the manufacturer as pictured in Duane's link.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 28 May 2011

This thread caused me to remember a stash of babbitt metal I had forgotten I owned. It is in an old wooden box hand labeled as such in my grandfathers handwriting. I rescued it from his shop when he died almost 40 years ago and have been lugging it around with the vague idea of using it to alloy bullet metal. When I opened it up yesterday I found the ingots to have been cast using a Model T Ford hub cap as a mold. (Not surprising as the old man was a Ford mechanic from the 20's through the 50's) Quite the little time capsule. I guess I'll have to save one or two of them from the lead pot for use as paperweight testaments to the old man's ingenuity!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 May 2011

What would the bhn of this metal be? Anyone shot straight babbit cbs? Might go like hell, maybe in a .223?

Attached Files

madsenshooter posted this 31 May 2011

That'd be a big waste of Sn. Lead-based babbitts with around 7% Sn work pretty well. The Government Genuine has a Bhn of 23. Same company makes a “Marine Engine” babbitt with 8%Cu and a bhn of 29.

Attached Files

Close