Heavy Recoil Benchrest Scopes

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 03 June 2011
6pt-sika posted this 01 June 2011

At the moment I'm fooling with a 444 Marlin lever action for use in the CBA Hunter class and have a Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20x with a target dot on top . This scope seems to handle the recoil fairly well as far as clairty etc are concerned . But I am also wanting more magnification .

How are the older Leupold 24x and 36x scopes for handling heavier recoil ?

Also the Redfield 6400's in 24x ?

I see a good majority of the folks that shoot matches use the Weaver 24 or 36 however I think most are cartridges of moderate recoil . Are the Weavers able to withstand a constant heavy recoil ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 01 June 2011

I would tone my loads down a bit as you will be firing 60 or so shots per match. There are 40 shots for record for each match, plus whatever amount are needed for sighters, foulers, etc. For me that usually runs between 80-85 shots per match.

There's no reason to use full throttle cast bullets loads.

Just a recommendation.

Also to respond to your initial question. Leupold has excellent customer service and if a scope does not hold up to recoil you can get it fixed for the price of shipping. I don't believe Weaver offers that.

Attached Files

I have a chance to pick up a very nice Leupold 24x BR scope from a friend ,

Without screwing myself or him whats a fair price for one in lets say 95% finish and 100% clarity ?

Also how about a Leupold 36X BR at about 90% and 100% clarity ?

Attached Files

billwnr wrote: There's no reason to use full throttle cast bullets loads.

Well I understand what you're saying about “milder” loads . However if the gun shoots these well I see no reason not to keep shooting them . Besides in the match you shoot a 10 shot relay with foulers and sighters . So how long between strings maybe 10 or 15 minutes ?

I am figuring 15 shots max per relay for a total of 60 shots . Thats a normal day for me at the range with several 444's .

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 01 June 2011

you might want to factor in the sighter targets unless you are shooting only at 100 yards.

I should have said “there's no reason to use full throttle 300 grain + cast bullet loads"

Attached Files

billwnr wrote: you might want to factor in the sighter targets unless you are shooting only at 100 yards.

I should have said “there's no reason to use full throttle 300 grain + cast bullet loads"

Well I'm shooting 265 grainers . But with that slower twist (1;38) Micro Groove barrel it's almost like you have to run them warm to get them to shoot their best .

Believe me I understand the “recoil causes fatigue” phrase . Years of shooting trap and skeet got that one ingrained in my head !

Maybe if I can make a match or two in Fairfax this season and I really enjoy it I'll try some loads with XMP5744 . I “have” used that powder quiet a bit in the past in the 444 and MANY other lever action cartridges with very nice hunting results ! So perhaps I can get a decent medium load with 5744 to reduce the recoil .

Attached Files

TomG posted this 03 June 2011

6pt,

Most any modern high power scope will hold up on your rifle. When I was working up loads for my Marlin 45-70 shoulder buster I put a Leopold 36X benchrest scope on it and it worked fine. A Weaver 36 should hold up fine also. My best load was with a LBT 340 WFN and 49 grs. of 3031. It would get your attention when you shot it but shot right at 1 1/4” groups.

Tom Gray

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 03 June 2011

TomG wrote: 6pt,

Most any modern high power scope will hold up on your rifle. When I was working up loads for my Marlin 45-70 shoulder buster I put a Leopold 36X benchrest scope on it and it worked fine. A Weaver 36 should hold up fine also. My best load was with a LBT 340 WFN and 49 grs. of 3031. It would get your attention when you shot it but shot right at 1 1/4” groups.

Tom Gray

Sounds like a right decent load Tom !

I have 4 bullets I like in my circa 1972 Marlin 45-70 . The Ranch Dog 460-350GC , the Ranch Dog 460-425GC , the BRP 462-465GC and the BallistiCast 462-550GC all with H322 .

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 03 June 2011

I'm opening myself up to flak here, but the BSA fixed 36 has proven sturdy enough so far, used it on up to 30-06. I'm a buy American guy, but having multiple rifles to scope forces some compromises on my budget. Optics on the BSA are useable, for a $60 scope. I wouldn't depend on it in a critical situation. A nice Leopold is on my list.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 03 June 2011

tturner, No flak from me. I primarily stick with Leupold because they are clear and have a good warranty. I do have a BSA 36 on the shelf that I intend to use for switching on rifles for load testing.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 03 June 2011

Not sure if this helps your evaluation but...I use a Weaver 36X on a Remington XP-100 single shot pistol chambered in 30 PPC. The bullet is an LBT 180-grain with a MV of about 2,150 fps. When you finally squeeze the trigger, the scope is quite aways from your face...or else! Seems like a lot of recoil but may not be as bad as a rifle?

Attached Files

Close