Precision Spherical Buffer

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 12 March 2015
IMR380 posted this 15 June 2011

Does anyone have experience using Precision Spherical Buffer {PSB}, as a filler in bottleneck rifle cases with cast bullets, and powder with the burn rate of 4227, 2400, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you, Gary

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
shooter93 posted this 16 June 2011

I've used fillers with straight cases and moderately bottle necked cases but never with those powders. I wouldn't imagine those need a filler but others here may be using them. I usually use puff-a-lon as a filler and I've always thought tightly necked cases with fillers were iffy....just my opinion.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 16 June 2011

I have messed around with Cream of Wheat filler in a 30-06, nothing conclusive except a very clean bore. Lots written here on the topic of fillers, including PSB. PSB's advantage over COW is it doesn't cake up in the case. After a lot of reading my impression is the fillers are not used with powders in that range, mostly top off heavier charges of slow powders. One of the advantages of the slow pistol powders in a rifle case is less position sensitivity and no issues with reduced loads going boom all wrong. The whole topic of fillers is a gray area at best, many will not use them for fear of chamber ringing. Do a search on fillers, PSB, COW, dacron, etc., tons of info and opinions. And welcome to the forum.

Attached Files

IMR380 posted this 18 June 2011

Thanks for the responses guys. I have used dacron before, but never PSB. I am a little apprehensive about using it. Gary

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 18 June 2011

On a “WHAT IF"  I tried some in a 22 Hornet and a 223 with non GCed bullets,and the powders listed,  Had pressure signs on the Hornet with the buffer,none without, and poor groupings compared to the non buffer loads in both. To me it's easier to lift the muzzle and “position” the charge than deal with ANY filler

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 15 August 2011

PSB is the only filler I use, but I WOULD NOT use it for small charges of fast powders such as those you mentioned.

I use it in small amounts to give a tight powder column and a good burn on slow ball powders like WC872.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 09 March 2015

I know this is an old thread but I use powdered shot buffer as a filler/bullet base protector in my cast 44 mag loads. The bullet is a Lyman 429421 and the powder is imr 4227. It is my deer hunting load in my 10” Contender. No GC and no leading.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 09 March 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=1914>IMR380

I have used PRPSB in 30-06 with 170-220 gr cast bullets and H380 Velocity ES became smaller and accuracy increased with PRPSB in my testing. my H380 loads shoot under 1"@50 yards with the PRPSB but shoot over 1” without the filler.

My loads at the same velocities with H4895 need no filler to shoot well.

The H380 likes pressure to ignite well and that is why those H380 loads shoot better for me with PRPSB in a 106% compressed load.

Gary

Attached Files

Maven posted this 09 March 2015

Exactly as Charger said!

Attached Files

admiral posted this 11 March 2015

I use it in bottle neck cases often enough that I buy it in the 10# bag. I was shooting some 219 Zipper high velocity loads with it this weekend.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 March 2015

don't forget that filling the air space in the case with a ” filler ” therefore decreases the air space ( g ) ; resulting in more pressure more sooner ... the faster that powder burns, the faster it burns .

start lower when working up a max load with filler.

ken

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 March 2015

admiral wrote: I use it in bottle neck cases often enough that I buy it in the 10# bag. I was shooting some 219 Zipper high velocity loads with it this weekend. More info about that Zipper load please. I'm contemplating older type .22s for a project.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 11 March 2015

WARNING  WARNING  WARNING

There is one thing I don't like about PSB. Spill it on a hard floor and it makes your feet effortlessly glide out from under you.

Gary

Attached Files

admiral posted this 12 March 2015

tturner53 wrote: admiral wrote: I use it in bottle neck cases often enough that I buy it in the 10# bag. I was shooting some 219 Zipper high velocity loads with it this weekend. More info about that Zipper load please. I'm contemplating older type .22s for a project.I'm using reformed R-P 30-30 brass, Winchester LR primer, 18.0 gr. IMR 4198, .9cc of PSB, a NOE .226” 45gr. RF (comes out of the Lyman .225” sizer die @.2255") and LBT Blue Soft. Oven heat treated wheel weights. Out of my 20” Marlin barrel over the chrony it's 2825 fps. This is the first cast load I tried in my Zipper and it's shooting 1.5” @ 75 yards for 10 shots without subtracting bullet diameter (something I never do when measuring group size). I had only loaded 10 rounds. Next weekend I'll wring it out @ 100 yards with 40 rounds of ammo.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 March 2015

back about 1950 i was hot to acquire a 219 zipper ... but experts told me it was a bummer ... so i opted for a 218 bee/win43 ...then a remmy 722/222 .... nowadays, i can see i might have been hasty by skipping over that very nice winchester lever action, and what was actually a superior varmint cartridge .

the good news is i have never listened to good advice since ...

ken

Attached Files

admiral posted this 12 March 2015

Ken, I once listened to the experts that black powder sucked and Pyrodex was the way to go. I'm new to the Zipper after having wanted one forever. This is my second .224” rifle that I'm trying cast in, the first being a Browning M65 218 Bee. So far I have not had the terrible results and difficulties that I've read about when shooting cast in .22 center fires. And I'm not one to hold back on the velocity.

Attached Files

Close