first blood for the 45-70 Gov

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 03 March 2017
1kshooter posted this 18 June 2011

I made the first kill with cast bullets and my 45-70 gov today two firsts!

I shot a big nanny ground hog at about 120 meters off hand with a 400gr Lyman hard cast over a load of 15gr of unique powder!

are pic's allowed on here? if so i will post a few!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 18 June 2011

Sure pics are allowed !

Congrats as well !

Attached Files

Attached Files

This is a hunting forum , blood guts , gore and bullet holes should be expected ;)

Attached Files

tominct posted this 18 June 2011

Nice shooting! I see you used one of those flat shooting 400 grain cast loads instead of a 500 grainer!    /images/emoticons/134.gif

Really, nice shooting.

Attached Files

flat shooting would be a relitive term lol I do have some 340gr Lee(90373) that I am trying to hunt a load down for ...I think that they will be just the ticket for high volume g-hog hunting!

Attached Files

FWIW , when I cast the Lee 340 and 405 bullets I shot them unsized , tumble lubed and pushed them with SR4759 .

While most would agree the hottest SR4759 is a medium load at best , in the Marlin 1895 Cowboy I was using at the time with the hard rubber buttplate would kick the crap out of you on the bench . With a recoil pad of some type the calm right down .

Attached Files

6pt-sika wrote: FWIW , when I cast the Lee 340 and 405 bullets I shot them unsized , tumble lubed and pushed them with SR4759 .

While most would agree the hottest SR4759 is a medium load at best , in the Marlin 1895 Cowboy I was using at the time with the hard rubber buttplate would kick the crap out of you on the bench . With a recoil pad of some type the calm right down .

lol I shot about a 100 rnds of 45-70 and 40 full house sabot Lyman hard cast slugs...and around 50 or so .308 just to let me know that..yes I do have a torn rotor cuff:shock:....yup I can be a little thick sometimes lol

as for the SR4759 I don't have any now so I might have to get some...I am going to try H4198 or Varget until then as I have lots on hand!

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 19 June 2011

I think you are under gunned.........LOL. Nice work.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 19 June 2011

hey Jeff, I could not agree more ...although they were all hard cast bullets I was using,I think I should have used the 500gr slugs for that extra bit of insurance lol! way to much fun for one guy..ya got to share this stuff with friends and take buddies with you ...I am going to shoot some with the 525gr Lyman sabots next weekend...worked up a wiked load for them and they are MOA of ground hog out to 150 Meters!!! I cant wait lol

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 June 2011

1kshooter wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: FWIW , when I cast the Lee 340 and 405 bullets I shot them unsized , tumble lubed and pushed them with SR4759 .

lol I shot about a 100 rnds of 45-70 and 40 full house sabot Lyman hard cast slugs...and around 50 or so .308 just to let me know that..yes I do have a torn rotor cuff:shock:....yup I can be a little thick sometimes lol

as for the SR4759 I don't have any now so I might have to get some...I am going to try H4198 or Varget until then as I have lots on hand!

While I used SR4759 in the early stages of my cast bullet shooting in the mentioned 45-70 and a Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 . A couple years after that I switched to Accurate Arms 5744 almost exclusively for my cast bullet lever actions and have killed a pile of deer using that powder in a bunch of cartridges . Now I no longer use 5744 and have gone to H322 , RL-7 , Varget and IMR8208 for the cast bullets in my 444's and 45-70 .

The 5744 seemed to be less position sensitive in the case for me then did the SR4759 . Although both did a nice job as what I would call a medium load .

In the 45-70 I am using now a circa 1972 Marlin rifle I'm shooting four bullets . The Ranch Dog 460-350GC , the Ranch Dog 460-425GC , the BRP 462-465GC and the BallistiCast 462-550GC and I am pushing ALL four of them with H322 .Of the 15-20 different cast bullets I have for the 444 that are below 350 grains all but maybe 3 are pushed with H322 . Past 350 grains in the 444 I use more RL-7 and Varget .

Oh by the way my 45-70 of 1972 vintage came to me like new with the box about 2 years ago . This model was made with a semi curved hard rubber buttplate that would dig into your shoulder from the bench . While I didn't want to mess with the original stock , I wanted something a little more comforting for the shooter . So first I tried a slip on recoil pad and that didn't work all that well . So I just happened to have an extra stock with semi curved buttplate and all . But it happened to have a small crack in the wrist area and someone had practiced checkering in about a 1 square inch area of the side . So I sanded the checkering out and had a my gunsmith buddy install a KickEez recoil pad and this thing is now a dream to shoot from the bench and my original stock is still original and intact !

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 23 June 2011

6ptSika,thanks so much for the info...looks like I am going to pick up some H322...I will be hitting you up for your load notes lol

out of curiousity...what bullet do you like the best and why? as always thanks so much for the help! Jonathan

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 June 2011

1kshooter wrote: 6ptSika,thanks so much for the info...looks like I am going to pick up some H322...I will be hitting you up for your load notes lol

out of curiousity...what bullet do you like the best and why? as always thanks so much for the help! Jonathan

I assume you mean for the 45-70 .

The Ranch Dog 460-350GC is a great bullet or atleast it has been for me !

The BRP 462-465GC is also an excellent bullet but I'm sorry to say I've not killed anything with it yet !

The Ranch Dog 460-425GC is also an excellent bullet but a bit harder on the shoulder then the 350 and the 465 . I think the 425 grainer is in the fold where it's heavy enough to get recoil from the laws of physics and light enough not to greatly change the recoil from a sharp one to a milder but big push . Otherwise I would say the 425 grainer was the best !

The BallistiCast 550 grainer is more for fun then anything else as I have no real hunting need for it ! Although it does shoot relatively well in my rifle . With a Weaver K2.5 I have gotten 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 2 1/2” range . This one has a LARGE push but not a sharp violent recoil .

I suppose of the four I would have to say the RD 460-350GC and the BRP 462-465GC are the best and the deciding factor would be rather you liked heavier weight bullets or a but lighter ones .

I have killed the largest racked whitetail buck of my hunting life with the RD 460-350GC pushed with XMP5744 at a medium velocity !

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 23 June 2011

great...thanks for sharing myfriend..I will be getting the RD 460-350GC the day it is back in stock!

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 08 November 2016

1kshooter wrote: great...thanks for sharing myfriend..I will be getting the RD 460-350GC the day it is back in stock!

RD has been out of business for a while and won't be back in stock. I have the RD 460-350 FNGC and like it a lot in 458 WM. A very close copy is made by Accurate Molds and available in a variety of mold cavity per blocks in a variety of mold block metal choices also. Plus you can specify diameters also. Here is the drawing of the bullet and mold number from Accurate. familiarize your self with their ordering options at their site available before ordering:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-355RG-D.png>http://www.accuratemolds.com/bulletdetail.php?bullet=46-355RG-D.png

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 13 November 2016

Nice first! My first 45-70 AND first cast bullet harvest was a yearling deer that hung around too long. flipped him @ 85 yds with Lee 405 HB @ 1325 fps. Have since managed an RD 350 mold. Need to cast and work up a load for it.

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 03 March 2017

When the SR 4759 runs out, what are you planning on using?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 March 2017

Myself, after the 6 pounds I have been able to save, will be 42247 or SC4198.

Attached Files

Close