lead rods??

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 23 June 2011
milboltnut posted this 19 June 2011

I just got some lead square rods from a friend... It says I.S.C. 2.625. I'm thinking it's 2 and 1/4 ounce rod.... but is it lead?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 19 June 2011

Did your friend say where he got it, or what it was used for?  Have you done an internet search to see if you can find anything that looks like what you have in hand?  Duane

Attached Files

Did your friend say where he got it, or what it was used for?

NO He said he doesn't know.... he got it off his father and his dad picked up somewhere.... some folk just gather things... collecting metal. I believe it's plumbers lead.  

Have you done an internet search to see if you can find anything that looks like what you have in hand? 

yeah.. nothing.

Attached Files

Plumbers lead.... Taracorp was written on some.

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 19 June 2011

I wouldn't think that would be plumbers lead. Probably a 50/50 or 60/40 mix.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 20 June 2011

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned the name “Taracorp” in the first description.  They were a large maker of solder material.  I get the impression that you have different types of rods or bars so might have a mixture of various bars of soldier.  How many pounds total are you looking at and trying to identify?  Have you had a chance to answer the questions I sent via PM?   Duane

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 21 June 2011

Just melt em down and shoot em;)

Attached Files

milboltnut posted this 23 June 2011

Sorry Duane.... Your PM bounced a cookie and I had to delete it. Don't want to go in again. Had to call the webmaster to find out how. I haven't been able to gain access to the forum...

I melted down the lead so when I get more I give the details. If want write down what you Pm'ed me, here.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 23 June 2011

well if you have already melted those rods down, there is no useful purpose.  It was just an effort to try and determine if you had tin, lead, solder, or something else.  Now you have mystery metal.

Duane

Attached Files

well if you have already melted those rods down, there is no useful purpose???

On the contrary... it tested, with WW mixed, real close to 15 BHN. And water quenching will bring harder than 15. Oversizing with soft lead causing leading. So I'm good.

Attached Files

double post

Attached Files

Close