1895 Marlin 45-70 and Ranch Dog mold with Sage Outdoors G/C

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 02 August 2011
1kshooter posted this 19 July 2011

well let me start with thank you thank you thank you.....to both of the two companys as it honestly has been truly a pleasure to deal with both of them and I can not say enough about there products!!!!!!!!!:dude:

here is what I mean.....first atempt with a new load and I get this .....!!!!!!offhand!!!! at 50 yards!!!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 19 July 2011

Looks pretty good to me ;)

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 19 July 2011

Thanks bro I am really happy with it as I am not an iron sight guy....I am known as the joker that snaps running coyotes with a .308 and a 6.5-20X scope ...on 20X lol have done that three times in the last two years!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 July 2011

I never shot peep or tang sights until I was about 39 I think !

And surprisingly it didn't take long to become decent with them !

Of course I've shot a bow with a peep on it since the mid 80's !

I used not think one was able to shoot decent groups at 100 yards with less then 20 power . But lately I've been using 6x and 8x scopes to work up cast loads in lever rifles . So for me atleast it's more a matter of becoming used to what you're using !

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 20 July 2011

6pt-sika wrote: I never shot peep or tang sights until I was about 39 I think !

And surprisingly it didn't take long to become decent with them !

Of course I've shot a bow with a peep on it since the mid 80's !

I used not think one was able to shoot decent groups at 100 yards with less then 20 power . But lately I've been using 6x and 8x scopes to work up cast loads in lever rifles . So for me atleast it's more a matter of becoming used to what you're using ! I think you are 100% correct Sir ...and as I am only 37 lol I can get a head start:D

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 20 July 2011

Thanks for the feed back. Seeing stuff like this makes investment and work worthwhile!

Attached Files

Sagebrush posted this 20 July 2011

Charlie made the FClll die right to spec. The cutter was cut to make a perfect check for the Ranch Dog Mold. The checks drop out at .462-463 right to specs. Great shooting to 1Kshooter.

Attached Files

Thanks Sage brush! ...with good products it makes shooting tite groups a lot easier!!

Attached Files

just made up a new batch of main ingrediants for dog food ....Ranch Dog food that is lol

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 20 July 2011

That's really good shooting especially for offhand. Personally I don't think I can even see that far. Charlie

Attached Files

Thanks Charlie, I still have good eyes for now lol

I can't wait to get my RD. mold and Sage checks for the 1894 44mag and get something hammered out for it!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 21 July 2011

FWIW , here's a spike deer I killed in the 2008 season with the Ranch Dog 460-425GC bullet !

I was using a Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with a LEupold Vari XII 1-4 on top . The bullet was being pushed by 32 grains of XMP5744 .

This one was shot at really really LONG RANGE !

All of 17 yards ;)

And as you might expect “dead right there” !

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 21 July 2011

wow that is a great pic my friend...and great eating!! I hope to have some photos like yours this year! would be nice to have pic's of more then dead ground hogs with the 45-70 and 44mag lol Thanks so much for sharing!!

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 21 July 2011

that looks like a M1 Garand sling lol again that is a great shot ...pic lol 17 yards you could have thrown the gun at him lol wink

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 July 2011

1kshooter wrote: that looks like a M1 Garand sling lol again that is a great shot .  

No thats not a Garand sling is you look closely at the bottom of the sling close to the buttstock you can just make out “Marlin” embossed in the leather !

These were accessory slings that Marlin used to sold about 7 or 8 years ago !

I( went in a little gunshop in the Poconos of Pemmsylvania and they had 7 or 8 of them there for sale so I bought two . Think I payed $12 each for them , reall leather and fold easilt to go in my pocket or fanny pack . I normally don't have the sling on a rifle unless I dragging a deer or walking in or out . Which is the reason the slings on that rifle now !

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 22 July 2011

hmmm another thing we have in common lol I can't stand a sling on a gun when I am shooting other then Mil serv standing 600y position!

I agree with your thinking 100% ..I also made a harness from para cord that I put across my chest for dragging deer ..the deer end has two closeing loops that I put around the neck with one and the other holds the two front legs on each side of the head ..sounds weird but it works well for me and I have pulled them a long way to the truck!

Attached Files

While I am a BIG advocate of the Ranch Dog 460-425GC and 460-350GC I am also an advocate of the BRP 462-465GC . But I'm sorry to say it was brought to my attention today that BRP has ceased production .

BRP had also brought out a bit larger version of the 462-465GC called the 462-520GC . I had wanted one of those but never got around to getting a mold cut !

Attached Files

I was just going to ask who BRP was so I could go to there site and have a look see ..oh well

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 22 July 2011

My first experience with slip on gas checks was with excess lube on the pin as it can often pull the check off. Examining the die I could see no way that there was a crimping shoulder in the die. The checks were brass. Sierra checks were slip on too but were of copper and there was no way to get them on the shank. They would neither go on nor crimp on either. Accidentally I discovered and later read that a common knowledge fix was to put a dab of lube on the base of the bullet and then the check. Well that was and is “bullet proof".

Machining sizing dies I researched the history of Lyman's H&I dies. These new dies as reported by Lyman's advertisement were now tapered to work harden and toughen the bullet during sizing. True, tapered die could work harden an alloy.
At some point I was asked , “how did I achieve such a taper also", it wasn't much but it was indeed slightly tapered discovered when I trying to fit the pin. I was confused for some time too. It was hard to figure out. Well is was the lathe bed, although massive it was twisted ever so slightly. It's leveled out now.

Hornady's are the first actual checks that I have ever seen that actually have a crimping annulus or ridge in the malleable dish shaped copper checks. Why not brass, I'll bet it too strong and tough, that is, brass has twice the tensile strength of copper.

Dating myself you say! I've got my Medicare card now, actually effective on the first. However, CBA has my birthday correct but the US Government well they can't seem to get month straight.

Still excellent shooting from our Canadian member.

Lesson learned? Remember this,"if you can't fit it, feature it"

Charlie

Attached Files

1kshooter wrote: I was just going to ask who BRP was so I could go to there site and have a look see ..oh well http://www.brp.castpics.net/default.htm>http://www.brp.castpics.net/default.htm

Attached Files

ohhh shinnny lol thanks man I like there 44 molds too! dang

Attached Files

One other thing I've tried just experimenting with straight walled cases. Placing the check in the flared case mouth backwards and then seating the bullet.

Charlie

Attached Files

1kshooter wrote: ohhh shinnny lol thanks man I like there 44 molds too! dang

The two 44 molds he lists as 432-375GC and 432-400GC are the ones I had done with the Ranch Dog nose !

I found out today he was closing his mold making buisness because I wanted to see if he could use the 432-375 cherry and cut me a 432-325GC plus or minus 5 grains !

Attached Files

codarnall wrote: One other thing I've tried just experimenting with straight walled cases. Placing the check in the flared case mouth backwards and then seating the bullet.

Charlie Maybe I'm just overlooking something , but what could possibly be the advantage of doing that ?

Attached Files

I get call after call PLAIN BASE GAS CHECKS. If you insist on pb checks. Do not collet squeeze the base just put a check in upside down. It works fine but is applicable only to straight walled cases.

I'll see if I can post pictures I really don't know how on the CBA.

Charlie

Attached Files

I get it...so for all the people that want some wonder check that will magically tur ther undersized boolit into a accuracy monster! not a bad idea actualy lol

Attached Files

Test went fine inverted checks actually had better groups than unchecked one! No blast spatter etc.

Charlie

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 23 July 2011

hmmm very cool! I will have to keep that in my bag of tricks lol

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 23 July 2011

codarnall wrote: Test went fine inverted checks actually had better groups than unchecked one! No blast spatter etc.

Charlie SOunds like a bit more trouble then I'm willing to deal with !

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 24 July 2011

Sagebrush wrote: Charlie made the FClll die right to spec. The cutter was cut to make a perfect check for the Ranch Dog Mold. The checks drop out at .462-463 right to specs. Great shooting to 1Kshooter.

James

Glad I found this post, AND your gas checks.  I am going to pick up two RD molds soon, ans need the checks for them.  Same for a bunch of milsurp stuff.

Best part is you sell your checks in quantities less than 1000!  And you are very near me (Huntsville).  I will be putting together an order soon.  Thanx

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 24 July 2011

oscarflytyer wrote: Sagebrush wrote: Charlie made the FClll die right to spec. The cutter was cut to make a perfect check for the Ranch Dog Mold. The checks drop out at .462-463 right to specs. Great shooting to 1Kshooter.

James

Glad I found this post, AND your gas checks.  I am going to pick up two RD molds soon, ans need the checks for them.  Same for a bunch of milsurp stuff.

Best part is you sell your checks in quantities less than 1000!  And you are very near me (Huntsville).  I will be putting together an order soon.  Thanx

my friend ...you will not be dissapointed in them!! I am so happy not to have to clean a half pound of lead out of my barrel due to undersized bullets and no GC with higher speeds....Jonathan:lovecast:

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 02 August 2011

I own Ranch Dog's .30, .44, and .458 molds. I think I need to call about the .32 for my 94CB and that should do. RD's TC311-165RF actually lead to me keeping a very nice 30-30 that just would NOT shoot cast bullets. It does now.
Thanks for the heads up on the sage GC's. I will check them out. Thanks to this forum for being the source of such good info. rc

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 02 August 2011

rhouser I think after using all the other cal. molds from RD you already know that this puppy would work for you as well!

as for the gas checks i think you will find that thay work as well or better then the copper ones at a 1/4 of the price....and James Sage is a real easy man to work with! when it comes to molds and leavers ...RD first for me then if I am feeling risky and want to through some money around well then ...I would buy every weight of R.D molds for that cal and be done with it! Jonathan

Attached Files

Close