Bunny Load (house mouse) for my Marlin 32 HRM

• 2.8K Views
  • Last Post 15 August 2011
rhouser posted this 02 August 2011

Got a new used 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum last weekend at a local gun show.  I have been looking for a while. 

Today I went to this sight and looked at Mr Ed Harris's .32 Bunny Gun loads.  (The 94 is not an OFFICIAL BUNNY gun, but very close)

Although I do have .32 S&W as well as .32 S&W Long Brass, I decided to use the HRM brass because it puts the bullet closest to the bore.

I am using the Hornady 90 gr swaged lead SWC with all these loads because it is VERY soft lead, has a .314” diameter, and I have most of a box of 500 on my bench.

I used Starline .32 HRM brass and Win SP Primers.  Gun is Marlin 1894CB with 20” barrel.

1.5 Bullseye -  Loud as a high power pellet gun

1.0 gr Bullseye - Loud as a regular pellet gun

0.9 gr Red Dot - Quieter yet, but, still could be heard as a shot if someone was outside in the next yard.  RED DOT is Dirtier than the Bulls Eye (case smudging).

0.5 gr Bulls Eye - PERFECT.  Clears the muzzle with authority and I don't believe a neighbor in the next yard would identify the sound as a shot (air gun or otherwise).  You hear more than the Hammer Drop but much less than the noise when the round strikes the board target.  I used 2x4 and 1x4 yellow pine boards as targets. 

Penetrates to 3/4 of the bullet length in seasoned yellow pine 2X4.  Completely penetrates 1X4.  I need to get some of Ed Harris's Ivory Soap for a full test.

I am fully seating the Hornady bullet to the edge of the driving band and then roll crimping lightly.  These cycle well in the rifle from the tube magazine.  I will have to check the 20 yard accuracy of these, but, at 10 feet to my target they went to point of aim with 2 “clicks” up on the marble rear sight.

Now I need to take a rimfire case and start cutting it down to make a 0.5 grain scoop.  (anybody got a better idea?)

Note, the risk on these of a double charge will just take you up to a louder outcome.  3.0 grains of Red Dot is still within working limits for this round. I can't see anyone overcharging 6 times without noticing.

If this will hold minute of Ivory Snow at 25 yards, I will be thrilled.

thanks rc

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
1kshooter posted this 02 August 2011

that sound great ...I am going to ask Mr. Harris for a little help in developing a hush load for the .44mag with the 265gr ranch dog ...that could come in handy! Jonathan

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 02 August 2011

1kshooter:

I too use the Ranch Dog 265 gr .44 bullets.  I have a 94CB and a ruger vaquero both in the 44 mag (I also shoot them in my S&W 29).  Now, I  use two different diameter sizers cause the Ruger needs the .430 sizer to fit the cylinder, but, the Marlin LOVES the .432 (but shoots the .430 sized RDS real well too).  My smith only gets the .430's.

I played with the speer round balls in .44 and have Speer book loads for them.  They are fun, but, not that accurate.  On Mr Ed Harris's suggestion, I am going to go to a soft cast plain base bullet, and then work the powders down.  I shoot full house but not max pressures most of the time. 

The HRM is a hoot and I need to contact the folks at ranch dog to talk about the .32 bullet mold.  The 1894CB.32 HRM is NOT a micro groove barrel.  I think the book says it is a 1:16 twist with ballard rifleing. 

Let me know where you arrive with the RD bullets and a bunny load.

thanks rc 

Attached Files

will do my friend...my Ranch Dog .432-265gr molds is a 3X3 ..three plain base and three gas checked, I was going to try a incressingly lighter Unique load until I get a load that is ubber quiet or start to get squibs..hard to do I am told with Unique powder! how about a pic of your new toy? I would love to see it as I am not real familiar with .32cal Jonathan

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 02 August 2011

1kshooter wrote: how about a pic of your new toy? I would love to see it as I am not real familiar with .32cal Jonathan The 1894CB in 32 H&R MAG looks just like most 1894CB models EXCEPT the octagon barrel is 20” , there is no loading port in the side of the action and the magazine tube works like that on a 22 LR lever action .

Attached Files

cool so like that of the Hener big boy? looks like a cut out of a bullet on the under side of the tubular mag and you undo the front and a loading rod comes out the muzzle end of the mag tube?

Attached Files

scottawebb posted this 10 August 2011

I didn't have good luck with 32 longs in my 32 cowboy. Didn't think about it much, loaded a full mag of rounds and got jammed badly right away. One minor advantage of the tubular loading set up is the ability to unload without running everything through the action.

Any one try any heavy quiet loads? And related, how heavy a bullet can be stabilized in the 32 H&R from this rifle. I don't have any thing over 115 grains, but I was wondering. I use the 32 revolvers a bit for butchering, and I thought a heavy quiet load might be good around the barnyard generally.

Essay W.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 August 2011

Heaviest bullet which would stabilize from my 1894CB is NEI #82 GC, which weighs about 130 grs. in wheelweight alloy. OK down to 1.5 grs. Bullseye, velocity erratic with lighter charges.

My favorite bullet is 115-gr. plainbased version of NEI #82 or Lyman #311008 with 2.5 grs. of Bullseye, seated out to 1.3” OAL in S&W Long cases, so it will feed in the Marlin Cowboy. You can use 3 grs. of Bullseye in HRM brass.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 August 2011

While I am sure there are several other bullets well suited to the task at hand the only ones I bothered to try in either the 32 MAG or 32-20 were the Ranch Dog 313-115GC , Lyman 311419 and the Lyman 311316 . All are gas check and all three shot very well for me in both cartridges !

Attached Files

rhouser posted this 14 August 2011

I just got my RD TLC313115-RF in this week. The folks at Sage sent me some samples, so I will set these up with aluminum checks.  

I was going to do a casting session today.  I was up at 0500, had my coffee and started scrubbing and smoking my molds. At about 0615 I was looking to start the lead heating,  opened the back door and it was raining.  I cast outdoors under the open sky. (This rule was set up by SWMBO, but, there's a lot of story behind it.  After 42 years she still has her sense of humor and supports my shooting sooooo.....   I need a clear day.  Oh well, at least the molds are clean and smoked. 

Mr Harris, I have been using 3gr of Bulllseye with a Meister 94 grain commercial hardcast in the HRM case.  They do all right.   The best bullet for my Ruger Blackhawk in .327 mag has been a commercial 113 gr gascheck by performance bullets cast at .313.  I have not tried ithis bullet in my HRM Marlin yet.  Based on your posting, it sounds like the 3gr of Bullseye would be good here too. 

I am really excited to try the RD version.  His .311, .432, and .460 molds really shoot well in my 30-30's, .44mag, and 45-70 Marlin lever guns.  his 45-70 molds also do well in my Winchester Highwall.  None of these guns have ever fired a copper jacket.

Back to my original .5 grain bullseye load. in my Marlin lever gun  I am still planning to load up maybe a dozen and actually try them on paper to see if they will group.  I will watch for squibs, but, they seem to exit the muzzle with authority (felt push of the recoil).  This load was with the pure lead swaged hornady 90 gr swc.

thanks rc

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 15 August 2011

I shoot into a bullet trap - mostly pistols and super slow cast loads (100 grain 32 cal bullets in the Mosin, out at about 660fps) I always feel good about hearing the backstop “ring” That wway i KNOW that even weak loads went flying. Are they accurate? At 40yds they are!:}

Attached Files

Close