Lanolin In Ed's Red?

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 20 July 2015
.22-10-45 posted this 15 August 2011

Hello, everyone.  I purchased a small bottle of Ed's Red from Brownells..wanting to try before deciding if I wanted to make up larger batch.  The ingredients did not list lanolin.  I called Brownell's..they said it did not..even though it is advertised as “original formula"?  I have anhydrous lanolin..How much should I add to 4oz?  does it need to be heated?  Is lanolin necessary for use as cleaning solvent..and not for storage?  Thanks alot!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 15 August 2011

The cleaner works fine without the lanolin.

If you use ER as a flush and rinse after water cleaning from having fired lackpowder or milsurp ammo with chlorate primers, then the lanolin is worthwhile to add. 200g per liter

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 15 August 2011

Ed Harris wrote: The cleaner works fine without the lanolin.

If you use ER as a flush and rinse after water cleaning from having fired lackpowder or milsurp ammo with chlorate primers, then the lanolin is worthwhile to add. 200g per liter

I assume 200 grams per liter?

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 15 August 2011

Correct. There are about 30 mL (mililiters) per fl oz. So... 200 g/L * 1L/1000 mL * 30 mL/oz* 4 oz * 15.43 grain/g = 370.32 grain

I always have to shake mine to make it stay in solution when cleaning.

Wineman

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 16 August 2011

What is the formula for Ed's Red? I was told that one of the major ingredients is transmission fluid; I was wondering if it was Type A, (GM and others) or Type F (Ford) which contains a very fine abrasive to prevent slippage. (Of the transmission, of course, not bullets!) It seems to me that acetone was mentioned, along with paint thinner. (Not sure about the paint thinner.) Any help appreciated; I plan on mixing up a gallon. I want to get it right. Thanks. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 16 August 2011

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 qt. Dexron ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) 1 qt. Kerosene (DEODORIZED - K1) 1 qt. Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (or substitute “Stoddard Solvent") 1 qt. Acetone

(Optional - 1 lb Anhydrous Lanolin)

Add the ATF first, then use the ATF container to measure out the other ingredients, thus thoroly rinsing the ATF container. Use a clean one gallon metal or chemical resistant heavy guage PET or PVC container, NOT HDPE, otherwise the acetone will evaporate out, attacking and melting the container in the process.

I have never bothered adding lanolin, figuring it's more trouble than it's worth. You have to melt it in a double boiler, being very careful it doesn't ignite, and then slowly stir it into the already mixed ER.

I think you can buy all of this stuff at Home Depot or maybe even a WalMart Super Store, except the Lanolin. I think you may have to talk to your druggist for that.

I went back and proof read this; I think I got it all. Hope this helps - It's very good stuff - it's all I use.

Wes

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 16 August 2011

I think I had read some where that Ed's red is also a good rust penetrent because of the ATF and Kerosene

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 16 August 2011

Ed Harris wrote: The cleaner works fine without the lanolin.

Sure it does...  but I managed to find a 4 oz (I think, may have been 8 oz) tube of Lanolin at drug store in baby section.  Added it to my gal of Ed's Red.

What I notice is that it is easy on the hands.  Not sure due to Lanolin, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Love the stuff!  Make your own!

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 August 2011

I found lanolin at the health food store. I'm not sure that it is anhydrous.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 16 August 2011

I'm pretty sure “anhydrous” means it contains no water. If it's NOT anhydrous, then it does contain water, and I don't think I'd want to use it as a rust preventative.

Wes

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 17 August 2011

I get my Anhydrous Lanolin at the “Mountain Sage":

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Lanolin.html

I buddied up with a friend and ordered a good quantity, saving on postage.

Dale53

Attached Files

ab7wh posted this 13 June 2015

Is Type F ATF (for Ford vehicles) an acceptable substitute for Dexron ATF? I've got several quarts of Type F left over from my old Ford PU and would to use it in Ed's Red. Thanks.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 June 2015

Sure, use it if you got it. I have done so with no issues, picking it up cheap at yard sales, etc.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

ab7wh posted this 13 June 2015

Ed, thanks for the quick reply to my question. Much appreciated!

Attached Files

minmax posted this 19 July 2015

Most of the new paint thinner is this white goo, supposed to be safe for the environment. Is it safe for ER? Or does it have h2o in it?

Attached Files

Bighorn06 posted this 20 July 2015

Seems to seperate after sitting.I let it settle and drained the red off.Afraid of water in it. Seems to work as well as the prev batch that I made with regular mineral spirits

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 July 2015

No, “paint thinner” is not compatible with Ed's Red. If you live in CA, you will have to get it out of state. You are looking for “Mineral Spirits, de-odorized". You may not find it in “the big box store"'s, but most old fashion hardware stores seem to have some left. Buy enough for a lifetime supply, as it is going away from urban areas. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 20 July 2015

Good to know. I may pick up a gallon or two if it is still available. BTW don't look for any incandescent light bulbs either. BB has sent them all to that big socket in the sky.

Dave

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 20 July 2015

Is this some kind of Federal program to get rid of an “evil” but very useful chemical?

Or are us city clickers not smart enough to know that it is a good thing?

RicinYakima wrote: You are looking for “Mineral Spirits, de-odorized". You may not find it in “the big box store"'s, but most old fashion hardware stores seem to have some left. Buy enough for a lifetime supply, as it is going away from urban areas. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 20 July 2015

Wineman wrote: BTW don't look for any incandescent light bulbs either. BB has sent them all to that big socket in the sky.

DaveDisappearing incandescent light bulbs is an international thing.

I was in Germany from 2007 to 2010 and Russia from 2010 to 2012, and incandescent light bulbs went off the market in both places while I was there.  As could be expected, suppliers stocked up supplies of incandescents in both countries before the manufacturing / importation bans went into effect.

Incandescent novelty bulbs will be here in the US longer than standard bulbs, I presume because of low demand and low energy usage, so less “harm to the environment” (or as some people think not enough bulb (wattage) or not a large enough quantity of bulbs (translate to not enough Dollars / Pounds / Euros / Rubles / Yen etc.) to make it worth while or a priority.

I use incandescent night lights in arms cabinets, for the heat to burn off moisture.  They are getting hard to find, both the bulbs and old style fixtures with on / off fixtures.  The current LED bulbs provide no heat and most of the fixtures have light sensors to turn them on and off.  I want them on all the time, so it is easy to confirm that the bulb is still working when I open the cabinet and room light would shut off the fixture with a sensor.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 July 2015

Millelacs,

The state of California, for almost 20 years ago now, has been tightening the screws on “organic vapors". These are any petroleum materials that have a vapor pressure greater than 1 (or water) or the vapor is “harmful".

My state, WA, just blankets what every material is on the CA list, as does several others. What is happening is that it is so expensive to make CA saleable chemicals and older standard ones, that they a only making CA chemicals. CA approved ones also cost about 15% more to make and sell for about 50% more at retail. What product is the company going to make?

It started out to “save” the ozone layer, then to save the children, then protect the environment and now to reduce the carbon “footprint” of the manufacturers.   Ric

Attached Files

Close